The online racing simulator
Car Shadows
(13 posts, started )
Car Shadows
i did have a search but couldnt find anything.

is there a way to make the shadows darker under the car? atm i think they are too light
#2 - Don
the shadow itself is ok, but its missing a "penumbra" shadow (i think its called that), which is darker and with very soft edges (notice that irl - even in cloudy day, you can see the penumbra shadow under a car)

EDIT: you can notice the penumbra shadow for example on this screenshot http://games.tiscali.cz//images/forzamotor2/bngc.jpg
notice how dark and soft its just under the car and how it becomes brighter and sharper further from car (just like the projected shadow in lfs)
I agree. The shadows are okay outside of the car, but under the car, where almost no ambient light can reach we need an extra darker shadow. The tricky part is probably just how to make (semi) airborne cars look good with that.
#4 - SamH
*bump* and..

+1 and..

Shadows on a slider would be awesome. I'd really like to be able to increase the contrast of shadows, especially for brighter environments like Fern Bay on a sunny day.

@Android, as the car goes airborne, the shadow's opacity could be proportionally scaled. Visually, I think that would work. Between like wheels on the road and 3ft.. beyond that, the "inner shadow" could be dropped.
woah, what a bump.

Sam, nice ideas.

I just hope that we never get those horrible pixelated shadows that are in BF2 and some other EA titles. If that happens I'll probably just go outside and play in the dirt.
Quote from Electrik Kar : If that happens I'll probably just go outside and play in the dirt.

Obviously after you make it hi-res though right

I noticed once in Fern Bay in the sunset (or was it cloudy?) weather condition, the shadow was almost non-existant, and ruined the look IMO

See attachment.
Attached images
RojFlex5.jpg
already mentioned in GI thread that LFS should hopefully would multiply shadows

edit: with correct thread link
Incorrect thread AndRand
that one is about server connections
Continuing the idea of adding sliders in the options screen for manipulating shadows, i`ll just cheekily add a request for a slider to increase the number of cars that actually cast shadows (min>max, low>high or whatever).

I`d love to see the ability to *optionally* have shadows cast from more than the nearest 7 or 8 cars.
#10 - wark
Quote from SamH :*bump* and..

+1 and..

Shadows on a slider would be awesome. I'd really like to be able to increase the contrast of shadows, especially for brighter environments like Fern Bay on a sunny day.

That sounds great.
I think there are 3 issues with the shadows under the cars currently.

1)The numbers of shadows is only limited to 8 cars.Scawen mentioned already that more would need to tweak the 3D engine as LFS currenly with more then 8 shadows shows artifacts.I would be more for that then the new system with 1024 skins version. Would move the game more to current game standarts.

2)There is missing the second shadow under the cars and wheels which should be much darker.Then why the cars sometimes looks "floating"

3)Missing cars shadows when the car is going in the place where are tree shows.Maybe this is reläted to the number 2 but again the cars are then without shadows and looks like floating again.

Car Shadows
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG