The online racing simulator
Quote from AndroidXP :
Fortunately most people are able to distinguish between a community and its individuals...

That post was individually from me to Tristan. It has nothing to do with the whole drifting community. I just don`t happen to like that selfish-"I know all"-"I`m the best" fellow.
Quote from tristancliffe :I take your two years, and raise you eight. And add on a whole lot of working with cars before it became my job as well. And I'll add racing as a full-time hobby too.

i find that near impossible to beleive, but this is the internet, so whatever.
This is getting kind of OT now, but please check out Tristan's site. You'll find much information on him and the car he works on and races in. Btw, yes, that's Tristan in his avatar.
i dont feel like clicking stuff, but ill give him benefit of the doubt. its just hard to figure out how people have enough free time to work/build/race. only reason i've been active lately online is because i've been pretty sick, and just now getting where i can function again.

+1 for back on topic, like i tired to do in my book-long post.
Started 'working' on cars, and being mentored by my father, and his engineering contacts when I was about 8. Began a full time engineering job when I was 19 (after my A-Levels), but was working during the holidays since my GCSEs (about 14 onwards). I work 9 - 6 week days, and then 6 - 10pm most days on either the racecar or on other projects (Stratos, Fulvia, Exige, Ginetta, Griffith, Peitenpol aircraft). Have restored my own Fulvia, and been heavily involved in racing one too. I tend to be 'The Designer' at work, so am able to converse in CAD techniques, as well as hand-drawn engineering drawing. I am also 'The Machinist' at work, and make things from seal adaptor rings to white metal bearings (plus line boring) in our machine shop (not CNC though ). I read a lot about the theory of mechanicals, including but not limited to internal combustion engines and suspension designs.

So, I am currently doing about 12/13 hour days (only 8 of which pay me). Having said that, between now and Christmas it's house renovation, where I'm doing plumbing, electrics, plastering, wallpapering etc by myself. I should be moving in before or just after Christmas, then we start concentrating solely on the race car (which reminds me I need to order some 7" x 2.25" x 400lb/in springs this afternoon).

And despite all that I will be learning new things everyday for the next 60 years.

So don't give me the "I've worked on cars for two years" please, as it cuts no ice with me.

Edit, some hours later: Teh patch is out (in Test form), so I might not be working quite so hard tonight...
Kamkor, PLEASE stop drifting so we can finally say that all drifters are morons.

Qvarnis, vedä vittu päähäs ja vihellä!
This is a public forum. If you want a private one go make your own.
/pawpcarn
Quote from Qvarnis :Truuuuuut.

Yeah, I better shut up.

Your reply made me laugh out loud.
Oon aina miettiny miltä se kuullostaa.
Picture of my car which was completely stock, i messured it before i fitted the suspension (as you can see its still on stardard hight) and it was 42dgrees standard.

Just thought i would show this.

(nissan Skyline GTS-T (HCR32) type-m 93)
also, could there not be a patch we drifters can buy to play on single player only... i would be extremely happy to just play offline if i could have a bit more options over the suspension settings, add some rollcenter and rear traction rod settings would be cool.

tyre options, widths would be nice... too narrow, could do with having some 255 on the rear

as you can see, i've been playing lfs (drifting) from around early part of 2003 and never complained when they removed my 45 degrees of lock, caster and track adjustment
Quote from superclarkey :as you can see, i've been playing lfs (drifting) from around early part of 2003 and never complained when they removed my 45 degrees of lock, caster and track adjustment

i wouldn't be complaining if i had a skyline to drift in real life either
wait, so if the FWD cars cant REALISTICALY have more lock, why not make steering lock individual for all cars? The RWD has 45deg, FWD less, GTR even less, etc.

Why does it have to be a "universal setting" and if you change it to 45 on the XRT, why does it mean having to change the amount of adjustability on the FZR?

If scawen chages THIS fact, it will pretty much please everyone.
#414 - Woz
Quote from Mako. :wait, so if the FWD cars cant REALISTICALY have more lock, why not make steering lock individual for all cars? The RWD has 45deg, FWD less, GTR even less, etc.

Why does it have to be a "universal setting" and if you change it to 45 on the XRT, why does it mean having to change the amount of adjustability on the FZR?

There is no universal setting. There are all sorts of max lock values available in the LFS cars.

You are failing to take one other thing into account. Not all cars have the space in the wheel arches to allow 45deg lock. Not everything is black and white. A good example being that bigger wheels = smaller available lock. There are many factors to take into account, not just FWD vs RWD etc.

Scawen changed this ages ago. Everything you can think of saying in support of this HAS BEEN SAID already There are threads and threads of it.
Quote from Woz : Not all cars have the space in the wheel arches to allow 45deg lock.

not any cars have the ability to adjust compression and rebound independently on the suspension either. but since were talking about live for speed realm or reality, we would be talking about heavily modified cars, of which tubbing the fenderwells and running flared fenders is WAY more common than seeing shocks that yeild the adjustability allowed on ALL LFS cars, in addition to the equivalent of a quick-change rearend on an IRS setup, muti plate diffs, clutches, braking systems more complicated than the whole entire model t, etc.

again,
apples :: apples

not

cherries :: mashed potatoes
#416 - Woz
Quote from mikespeed95 :not any cars have the ability to adjust compression and rebound independently on the suspension either. but since were talking about live for speed realm or reality, we would be talking about heavily modified cars, of which tubbing the fenderwells and running flared fenders is WAY more common than seeing shocks that yeild the adjustability allowed on ALL LFS cars, in addition to the equivalent of a quick-change rearend on an IRS setup, muti plate diffs, clutches, braking systems more complicated than the whole entire model t, etc.

again,
apples :: apples

not

cherries :: mashed potatoes

Actually MANY here are for removing lots of the setup options from the low end cars exactly because this sort of car does not have these settings. The UF1 is already more limited but on cars without rollcage it should be more limited as they are less modified.

You do realise that space under the arch is not something that is as easy to change as suspension. Lower the car too much and then the body comes into place also and limits you more.

I personally cant wait until the body rubs the wheels as this will stop some dodgy sets that are used.

Look. I will say this aagain because you fail to understand.

1) 45 deg lock was removed years back by the devs for a reason.
2) It is NOT coming back. The same fights have happened with previous changes that limit or change things.
3) EVERY argument you come up with has been said again and again in these forums.
4) LFS is a race sim. You can drift in it because the physics are good. Primary focus is race though.

I would prefer to see a drift specific car tbh, as I have said earlier in this thread. If will leave the current race cars as is.

Trist is tight... Allow 45degs and poor drivers can catch mistakes easier. Its better they loose it and off otherwise you just have people all over the place while they try and catch a mistake only large lock allows.

BTW.. You are the one all for the cherries::mashed potatoes. Thiis a RACE sim. You feel that changes drifters make to their cars world should apply in race tuned cars. cherries::mashed potatoes
Quote from Woz :There is no universal setting. There are all sorts of max lock values available in the LFS cars.

You are failing to take one other thing into account. Not all cars have the space in the wheel arches to allow 45deg lock. Not everything is black and white. A good example being that bigger wheels = smaller available lock. There are many factors to take into account, not just FWD vs RWD etc.

Scawen changed this ages ago. Everything you can think of saying in support of this HAS BEEN SAID already There are threads and threads of it.

you missed my point and also just used the same excuse and repeated exaclty what I have read a thousand times. PLEASE, I beg you, read my post again, slowly, and let it sink in so you understand what I'm trying to say...if you can do that, I would grealty appreciate it.
#418 - Woz
Quote from Mako. :wait, so if the FWD cars cant REALISTICALY have more lock, why not make steering lock individual for all cars? The RWD has 45deg, FWD less, GTR even less, etc.

Quote from Mako. :you missed my point and also just used the same excuse and repeated exaclty what I have read a thousand times. PLEASE, I beg you, read my post again, slowly, and let it sink in so you understand what I'm trying to say...if you can do that, I would grealty appreciate it.

No I didn't. I already said that all the cars DO have different max locks based on car types. I also said it is not as easy as FWD=X and RWD=Y and OW=Z.

What everyone else is saying is that the LFS cars are RACE cars not DRIFT cars. They have their MAX lock set to the sort of level that car would have IRL based on the constraints that are in play IRL. You can tweak below that because less lock does not hit those constraints.

What the people here who object to increased max lock object to is people being able to get miles out of shape on the track and catch it again when IRL that is not possible. If you get out of shape you should get a tank slapper at the least or off, you should not be able to recover because you have stupid lock on a car that would not have stupid lock.

The limits were set using the same logic that have now resulted in auto blip being removed as an option.

I have said the best solution is a drift related car which is built for drift requirements and NOT race requirements.

Your idea of 45deg limit WILL change how people race.

Also if 45deg was allowed I will bet anything that the next thread will be "Please allow 60degs because by {insert here} drift monster has it. It just uses the same part as the 45deg extension so why not?"

This is why there is resistance to 45deg but YOU are also not listening to what people are saying
I changed my mind after doing some drifting today. I like the lock how it is. I would rather the devs work on tires than this sort of thing. I'll agree further that lfs is for racing, but I love drifting and I hope that I get to continue to do so for a long time. Hopefully in the future we can have all kinds of motorsports not just be able to be done in the game, but accepted by the racer majority as well. To each his own, without being bitched out about it. Live For Speed S3: Online Motorsport Simulator
Ok **** it, you win....happy now?

Still, as I already mentioned, what about the LX cars? And the RA? And the FZ5? All those WILL have the ROOM for it, if probably not set up for it "stock."

Besides, YES, IRL, the car WOULD have possible 45 degree lock! you ever do steering mods on a Mitsu Starion for drifting? Didn't think so!

Ah, the pleasure of the mobile phone!
it could be a garage tool option to be able to adjust the steering rack.

and i agree that drifting is not a sport of speed, it is not racing, it's like figure skating to speed skating, i personally love drifting, but i also love rally and mountain pass road racing. there is nothing wrong with drifting exept that it should not be called racing... drifters like physically realistic simulators like LFS because you need realism to properly learn about car dynamics, which is what this sim teaches you.(I hope)
+1

I'll say it too: The argument that stock cars don't come with 45 degrees of steering lock is for $#%@ as cars also don't come with -4.5 degrees of camber, however, it's available via LFS.

Just add it already.
Please, give us more maxlock! Racers dont need to use it?
more maxlock to the world!
#425 - Woz
sigh

This has been over again and again and again.

Changing the max lock DOES effect racers. It allows people to run lock far far higher that would be possible and hence catch slides they should not be able to catch. This has a NEGATIVE effect on races as people who should have crashed out can catch and recover.

I even started a poll a while back asking if a car aimed a drifters should be added to LFS. A car that allowed extreme setups that drifters want, the right weight distributions and power curves etc. A car that would not effect races and I even explained WHY the car is required and guess what?

Drifters still voted NO in the poll saying "we don't need a drift car, just raise the locks".

Please think about what you ask. The cars in LFS have been through loads of balancing and all are aimed at racers. I am not a fan of drift but DO understand the needs of drifters. Its just a specific car better suits LFS, not changing the cars in a way that DOES EFFECT racers.

CLear now?

Drift Max. Lock
(624 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG