The online racing simulator
Gripping?
(26 posts, started )
Gripping?
I was kicked from a server today and someone was complaining that I was gripping. Not Griping but G.R.I.P.P.I.N.G. Sounds to me like they thought I was cheating. It was just a BP Track revered and I was using a GTR car with almost full downforce.

It kinda ticked me off being kicked, especially since I was just getting used to BP reversed. I was passing the other cars with ease, they were all slipping and sliding in the corners like ametuers, and I am one

So what is Gripping? Some sort of cheat?
If you were 'gripping' that is usually a term that drifters (mostly on drift servers) say when you aren't drifting. They are serious about good drifting and doing it right... and gripping is the cheap way of winning in their view. Which is true, because you should be drifting if they are drifting (on a drift server).

Just join any non drift servers and you can 'grip' all you want.
#3 - Gunn
Usually a drifting server will mention "drift" in the server title.

All that slipping and sliding they were doing was deliberate

I'm surprised they had the GTR cars enabled though, they are not the best cars for holding a drift around a turn, most drift servers disable them.
Quote from whisperinghill :they were all slipping and sliding in the corners like ametuers

ROFL i like that drifter description gold!
AHAHAHAHAH gold thread!
this thread is classic
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :ROFL i like that drifter description gold!

IMHO you shouldn't look down on drifters like that. It's a skill and a legitimate sport in RL and thus it should be in the LFS world. Hey, just yesterday the Dutch championships were covered on TV here.

In stead of putting them down be proud they're choosing to use LFS. It's a testament to its good physics/simulation.

p.s. I'm a "normal" grip racer so I do agree that they should drive on dedicated drifting servers.
Quote from bobvanvliet :IMHO you shouldn't look down on drifters like that. It's a skill and a legitimate sport in RL and thus it should be in the LFS world. Hey, just yesterday the Dutch championships were covered on TV here.

In stead of putting them down be proud they're choosing to use LFS. It's a testament to its good physics/simulation.

p.s. I'm a "normal" grip racer so I do agree that they should drive on dedicated drifting servers.

better read again.. i never put them down. nor would i ever do so. i have no problems whatsoever i just remarked it sounded really funny how he described it.
I'm a drifter, and I think this thread is brilliant
OK, sorry. It's just sometimes people do do this here on the forum (at least they did back at RSC) and it always bugged me.

Anyway I see your point, it is funny how someone who apparently doesn't know what drifting is describes drifters after encountering them .
don't sound right to be kicked out of their server tho' If they were driftin' about like that then they can't possibly be racing, so what would it matter that you were overtaking them, 'gripper' or 'drifter' it would be polite to ask them and explain rather than a straight kick, maybee we wouldn't of had this thread!

im a slipper myself (slippery-gripper) sideways is good but not quite the adrennalin rush of a close 1st.
Quote from Theafro :im a slipper myself (slippery-gripper)

ROFL
I've never understood the term "gripping" anyway. There is racing, where you try to win by being as quick as possible, and drifting, where you try to win by 'driving with style' (for want of a better description). It's not like it's two seperate forms of motor-racing, they're different forms of motorsport.

Anyway, funny thread.
Quote from bobvanvliet :IMHO you shouldn't look down on drifters like that. It's a skill and a legitimate sport in RL and thus it should be in the LFS world. Hey, just yesterday the Dutch championships were covered on TV here.

look at his nickname ...

Quote from Bob Smith :I've never understood the term "gripping" anyway.

as in using the full grip youre tyres offer
#15 - Nard
ROFLMAO! That's hilarious!
Quote from Bob Smith :I've never understood the term "gripping" anyway. There is racing, where you try to win by being as quick as possible, and drifting, where you try to win by 'driving with style' (for want of a better description). It's not like it's two seperate forms of motor-racing, they're different forms of motorsport.

Maybe drifters don't like to call "gripping" as racing, since it would mean their "thing" isn't as much racing as gripping is
Quote from bobvanvliet :IMHO you shouldn't look down on drifters like that.

I look down on drifters that describe racing with that retarded term "gripping". The rest are OK guys.

To the OP: Sadly, almost all BL GP rev servers are drift servers, whether the name says so or not.
He he he I like this guy's post.... hilarious!

Uh a lot of drifters get a bad image by a lot of the "GRIPPERS"...
man that name sound so wrong in sooo many places... yuck
Any ways i've never seen wreckers on a drift server. I seen plenty of wrecks, but I think that's just a by product when you...lol "slide around like an amature" lol ROFL

Come to think of it, i've never seen anyone banned on a drift server
either. I'm not counting the drag/drift hellholes in demo-land.

Anyways, I don't think that the reputation is deserved. Drifting's not my cup a tea, but like I said, I never had near the problems I do on certain "grip" servers on any of the drift servers I went on........

LOL once during the S-1 days there was this guy wrecking all over the place.
not intentionally, just HORRRID driving skills. He excused himself by saying his problem was he was using a drift set up......we were using GTis.

LOL "slide around like an amature"
ROFL next time I go to a drift server I think I'll ask why everyone is sliding about like an amature.

Oh and don't feel so bad guy, I didn't know a whole lot about racing,
much less drifting either when I first got hooked.

Welcome to LFS
#19 - Gunn
Quote from cannonfodder :I look down on drifters that describe racing with that retarded term "gripping". The rest are OK guys.

To the OP: Sadly, almost all BL GP rev servers are drift servers, whether the name says so or not.

Hmmm, perhaps it is not such a good idea to look down on people who use a simple word whose meaning is really unmistakably clear. "Retarded" means "backward", btw. Probably not a very accurate term to use either in this case. I have met several really nice guys who use the term "gripping". Nothing retarded about them at all.

Blackwood Reversed is one of my favourite circuits and my team races there regularly in a variety of cars. The drifters prefer the reversed circuits in many cases because the flow is different and usually the reversed tracks suit the style much better than normal directions. I think this just has something to do with the way the curves were created while making the original normal direction layout, they lend themselves better to drifting in the opposite config. So why do they often use Blackwood? Because that's the track they know best from their rookie days on the demo.
And the reason it was done with the .'s is because drifters tend to take the Ricer attitude to driving.

Oh, and all, its spelt amateur
#21 - Gunn
Quote from dawesdust_12 :And the reason it was done with the .'s is because drifters tend to take the Ricer attitude to driving.

Perhaps the silliest statement in this topic.
its by me, its typically gonna be the silliest statement
Quote from Gunn :"Retarded" means "backward"

The drifters prefer the reversed circuits in many cases because...

...they just like driving "retarded" errr.... "backwards".

LOL, sorry, I don't want to offend anyone here but that was just too tempting to point out
Thanks for the spelling of "amateur" No spell check here for us dummies.

I just checked the Server name and yes it did have "Drift Server" in the title.

I had no idea that any one would want to race slippery and wreck alot.

Might as well download a RATBAG Dirt Track Racing game. That's pretty fun and it is deliberate slipping.

I am glad I got this education on Drift Servers. No why didn't someone mention it in the chat while in the game? They just sdaid I was gripping. What do you expect a racer to do?

Thanks all for the funny and enlightening posts. I guess I'll stay of the Drift Servers.
#25 - Gunn
Quote from dawesdust_12 :its by me, its typically gonna be the silliest statement

Not if I can help it.

Gripping?
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG