The online racing simulator
Will we police LFS?
(53 posts, started )

Poll : Would you feel safer with police?

no
don't care
Yes
#1 - CSU1
Will we police LFS?
-
#2 - Jakg
Quote from CSU1 :Ok, with the barricade in full swing and crime at an all time low on LFS servers
I am starting a pole to see if you would like to see LFS servers policed by members of the public to keep crime down.There function will be to spot and remove drivers suspected to be breaking the rules layed down by the server admins, and report to admins thus saving forum moderation time.Candidates for the job should be expected to be online at least three hours per day, be trustworthy,pleasent and well mannered.

why? the barricade works, if it gets more publicity (ie welcome messages) it couldnt hurt
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
#3 - Jakg
what do you mean "forum moderators"? the replays are looked at by the server owners, and they post their comments in teh barricade, normally i review each replay again before banning them, its a good system and it works, i dont like the idea of some controller with all that power though
This is hilarious, can't stop laughing sorry.
The barricade is very effective when it is used. The moment a report goes in the SMS' start flying, the replay is distributed, the admins review it, and the user is locked out from numerous popular and league servers - permanently.

The STCC is proudly part of this system, if you've been banned from barricaded servers you cannot race in the STCC. The OWRL recently announced that it had joined the barricade too.
#6 - Jakg
Quote from Blackout :This is hilarious, can't stop laughing sorry.

why? (except of course this is every control freaks dream job!)

EDIT - Becky, SMS? Why would you text someone an LFS replay?
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
Well because the "crime" and the "police", that's just silly. And if the crime is all time low why anyone need any polices, or are you talking about braking the rules in cops robbers or something like that?
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
This has got to be one of those: "Hmm, I haven't suggested anything for a while.... what can I think of to suggest" suggestions.

3 hours a day "policing" LFS servers. Bake him away toys!
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
Wherever there is "police" there is corruption, favoritism etc.
Let the servers serve and the admins admin, next the "police" will become spys ... then informers ... then a formal movement, wearing strange armbands and uniforms and saluting a leader ....... and becoming fanatical

Didn't that happen before about 1938/9 thru 1945?

Do we really want to consider this suggestion seriously I hope not

Quote from CSU1 :lmao true but all i wanna do is drive around telling people what to do in my police car thats all....

That's exactly what I don't want.

Quote from ShannnonN :Didn't that happen before about 1938/9 thru 1945?

That happens everyday in every country, even the so called Demochratic (man, I wonder if they know what the hell is democracy about) buuut, thats way Offtopic, sorry
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
Quote from CSU1 : lmfao! Wtf was I thinking about yesterday???illepall
I will admit I had smoked a big doobie at lunch time and was talking absolute bollockolagy
You'll probably hear alot af this kinda crappola outa me guy's as I ain't all thereillepall illepall

sorry

Haha, well thanks for taking my comment in the spirit it was intended, I probably should have added a smiley in there somewhere
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
hmmm i think this is going so far ...
you make all of LFS sound like a game of cops and robbers..
Quote :EDIT - Becky, SMS? Why would you text someone an LFS replay?

The Barricade SMS' various server admins to notify them that a replay needs evaluation. It's that good.

Quote :Didn't that happen before about 1938/9 thru 1945?

heh, but actually that lot came to power in 1936, just so you know
this is gonna sound stupid but here goes, what is the barricade. this is the first i have heard of it. could someone redirect me please ? ?

don't bother, i found it lol
Quote from Becky Rose :
heh, but actually that lot came to power in 1936, just so you know

I thought that horrid little **** became Chancellor in '33 and fuhrer in '34...
Quote from Hankstar :I thought that horrid little orc became Chancellor in '33 and fuhrer in '34

thats not funny... i dont care where ya from but stop makin jokes bout such a demon...
#18 - SamH
Quote from Becky Rose :The Barricade SMS' various server admins to notify them that a replay needs evaluation. It's that good.

I ought to point out that we dropped the SMS after the Barricade went "global". In the early days, when reports were specific to UKCT (TeamCCUK back in those days), we had 8 SMS messages to 8 UKCT admins for each report filed, along with corresponding emails to mailboxes.

We could reintroduce the service, if anyone wanted to subscribe. We've finite credit (about 1800 SMSs at the moment in our development account) with the SMS network we use, and that would be chewed up pretty quickly if all the server admins currently receiving wrecker reports decided to receive SMS too. We'd have to charge for them, to finance replenishment of stock, and I can think of better things to spend your money on Nevertheless, if anyone did want to subscribe, let me know.

Quote from Jakg :Why would you text someone an LFS replay?

The SMS just says there's a new report and who is being reported, as a reminder to check your email ASAP

The problem that we found, among our own admins, was that if you're at your PC, you'll receive your email about the same time as you receive the SMS, making the SMS message somewhat moot; and if you're not at your PC you're probably busy doing something else, and you'll get to your PC and pick up your email later anyway.. and of course, you won't be able to ACTION the report until then.

It's nice having the technology and capability available, but sometimes it's difficult to make a real-world application fit within its constraints.

[EDIT more directly on topic]
The last thing I think we need are people patrolling servers in a vigilante-style gang, exacting decentralized justice upon the underclass. I agree with Jak.. it would be every control freak's dream come true, if it were to become a reality.

"LFS crime" is at a low, which is obviously great news. I think the rise was mostly due to a significant influx of new LFS drivers, who have since matured into good and concientious drivers, or moved on to play the latest EA title, thus causing a fall in crime.

It's impossible to say whether the Barricade has played a part, but it may have at least indirectly. I dare to say that some people, who MIGHT once upon a time have had a night of wrecking on a server full of people they don't know or care about, have perhaps had cause to stop and think before having their wicked way with someone else's race. I'd like to think so, anyway

If LFS "police" were ever needed, right now isn't that time.
Quote from MoonForce :thats not funny... i dont care where ya from but stop makin jokes bout such a demon...

Where's the joke part? I was asking a question Sorry if you took that the wrong way. I know it's a a very sensitive subject.

btw I'm from Australia, which you may recall played a role in ending the madness of '39-'45. We may be 10,000 miles away from Europe but the horror is still fresh in a lot of memories down here, especially the part where our POWs were routinely enslaved, starved and summarily executed by their captors in the Pacific. I had a grandfather and several uncles serve their country during that period. Please don't think I'm making light of such a terrible chapter of history.

Sorry for the OT guys.
#20 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :The Barricade SMS' various server admins to notify them that a replay needs evaluation. It's that good.

ooooooooh! Dont you just love modern anti-wrecker technology?
Quote from SamH :
[EDIT more directly on topic]
The last thing I think we need are people patrolling servers in a vigilante-style gang, exacting decentralized justice upon the underclass. I agree with Jak.. it would be every control freak's dream come true, if it were to become a reality.

"LFS crime" is at a low, which is obviously great news. I think the rise was mostly due to a significant influx of new LFS drivers, who have since matured into good and concientious drivers, or moved on to play the latest EA title, thus causing a fall in crime.

It's impossible to say whether the Barricade has played a part, but it may have at least indirectly. I dare to say that some people, who MIGHT once upon a time have had a night of wrecking on a server full of people they don't know or care about, have perhaps had cause to stop and think before having their wicked way with someone else's race. I'd like to think so, anyway

If LFS "police" were ever needed, right now isn't that time.

in fact its good news that "LFS crime" is low and that wreckers barricade works. because there were many servers that contributed to idea it sure played a role in creating the situation.
so now it looks like theres no need for, however i wouldnt mind the right for admins to pass to someone they know their rights to instant kick for wrecker behaviour. I call this upon at highly occupied servers where voting for restart takes ages (i must admit that it is not so common nowadays) and so for the kick (instant, which i prefer than late ban). thus THEY (server admins) would be responsible for the kind of enforcement that is happening on vacant at THEIR servers. You dont like the policy you just dont go there and/or spread the news .

but theres no urge now (i havent been on demos long time so i dont know whats happening there :shrug.

(imho that should also - i mean individual and explicit decision by admins, not rights pas -apply to balasting system when introduced. i dont mind BEING NOTIFIED AT the server of balast applied for every car except the admin's one. then i will just stay away and eventually laugh about there and there ).
being usu on cable i forgot the pleasures of dialup.
Wtf?
Have you all lost your freakin minds? Safer, safe from what??

What is a LFS crime??
Is it driving round the track the wrong way?
Intentional wrecking?
Using cheats/hacks?

How on earth can you commit a "crime" playing an on-line sim?illepall

Maybe your playing the game on a stolen computer or you used your wireless router to connect to next doors broadband connection (leach!) :ices_rofl omg

WTF on you on about here? Is is almost impossible to commit a crime whilst playing LFS. (maybe you were having underage sex whilst driving! or pushing drugs on the back streets of South City) I am going to stop now as my sides are hurting.

ok if someone is driving like a five year old on a server then the other players just vote kick/ban or admin throws them out. Problem solved.
Its only a game, lighten up a little

I believe u can already set the server for wrong direction kick & bad language kick. The trouble maker filter is already in place (could be improved) why take it so seriously & to such a ridiculous new level?

I can see the future - :
Player1 - "Officer Officer old men keep stalking me"
LFS Police - "Well if u stop driving around in a pink car & pretending to be a girl that might help!"
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
So it was originaly posted as a joke? .....or you were really bored?
less doubies might help I cant believe some people took it seriously. How sad.
#25 - CSU1
No! the funny thing I thought I was making senseillepall
Your right sometimes less doobies is a good thing at work

Will we police LFS?
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG