The online racing simulator
DLC in LFS
(31 posts, started )
DLC in LFS
When I compare official lfs cars to those crappy mods, I say to myself that this guy (Scawen) must know a little bit about developing race cars (despite not knowing his formation).

LFS is the only sim where I have the feeling of being in a real track racing real cars. So it is a shame that such a thing is wasted in time.

I think that the system of dlc can save the situation. If we are willing to pay for professional race cars and tracks, perhaps the developers will find the motivation to produce them.

What if we begin with a formula vee and a laser scanned donington, Scawen.
Just to clarify - it is Eric who created the official LFS cars and tracks. Scawen only created the UF 1000. Smile
I am talking about physics not graphics.

I can drive a white box if the physics is there. The converse of course is not true.
Quote from adirany :When I compare official lfs cars to those crappy mods...

I don't agree that all mods are crappy, there are crappy mods, yes, but there are mods which handle and feel just like the official cars. Smile
I agree that there are good mods.

But in general mods being produced by (amateur) individuals are lacking in some aspect or another (the aspect that the modder do not know, for example sound or physics).

I am really talking about professionally made cars that are excellent in all aspects.
Quote from adirany :When I compare official lfs cars to those crappy mods, I say to myself that this guy (Scawen) must know a little bit about developing race cars (despite not knowing his formation).

LFS is the only sim where I have the feeling of being in a real track racing real cars. So it is a shame that such a thing is wasted in time.

I think that the system of dlc can save the situation. If we are willing to pay for professional race cars and tracks, perhaps the developers will find the motivation to produce them.

What if we begin with a formula vee and a laser scanned donington, Scawen.

Hard to understand peoples like youLooney
Are you forgetting about licensing? One can't just add a real car or track just like that, even if he could make a model of it from scratch to perfection. I'm quite against the DLC crap or making it into steam, then LFS would lose its identity completely which makes it so different from everything else with much larger dev team and budgets..
Quote from rane_nbg :Are you forgetting about licensing? One can't just add a real car or track just like that, even if he could make a model of it from scratch to perfection. I'm quite against the DLC crap or making it into steam, then LFS would lose its identity completely which makes it so different from everything else with much larger dev team and budgets..

But in this case we will rarely see new cars or new tracks (apart from the obscure or fantasy ones).

No need at all to steam. LFS will stay as it is. And with money motivating things LFS will jump in the modern era.

Everyone of us can spend his time in others "sims". But we are all here because in LFS we find what we are all searching for: a true simulator in which we can live our passion of cars.
If you ask me, even S2 licence has enough tracks and cars. No one so far has mastered all of them, let alone S3 and introductions of mods where sky is the limit. The collection of very good mods will increase over time, as people get more familiar and comfortable with lfs editor. Your idea is nice, no question about that, just that Scawen has something else in mind. I think we should just let him do as he feels and great things will come for LFS.
Quote from rane_nbg :If you ask me, even S2 licence has enough tracks and cars. No one so far has mastered all of them, let alone S3 and introductions of mods where sky is the limit. The collection of very good mods will increase over time, as people get more familiar and comfortable with lfs editor. Your idea is nice, no question about that, just that Scawen has something else in mind. I think we should just let him do as he feels and great things will come for LFS.

That is exactly what I said in another topic. We don't need a lot of cars but we need some modern quality cars.

How many of you would to race in tracks like oulton park or road america. But not in rfactor 2 or iracing.

IN LFS.
I happened to understand perfectly well what I meant.
Problem that all of this is licensed content.
The best way we can help is by supporting LiveForSpeed.
I agree with you on one thing you say, physically LFS is the best of all and I believe that LFS can grow immensely after new updates.
DLC is as much of a scourge as microtransactions and software rental, resting somewhere between extorting customers and gatekeeping.

If it were up to me, there wouldn't even be custom access - just a 'test build' flag that worked like the tweak flag, maybe requiring a setting on the server. Anyone could test, no gatekeeping or 3rd party backdoor DLC would even be possible.

Just IMHO, of course Wink

As for quality, that is done and dusted already: If you only want top quality, only choose 'approved'.
Quote from Racon :DLC is as much of a scourge as microtransactions and software rental, resting somewhere between extorting customers and gatekeeping.

If it were up to me, there wouldn't even be custom access - just a 'test build' flag that worked like the tweak flag, maybe requiring a setting on the server. Anyone could test, no gatekeeping or 3rd party backdoor DLC would even be possible.

Just IMHO, of course Wink

As for quality, that is done and dusted already: If you only want top quality, only choose 'approved'.

I disagree with you completely. I am not bothered at all to pay for quality content twice a year. If the developers don't sell cars and tracks how the simulator will survive and keep its excellence.

As for mods they are all half finished. If the physics is good the sound is bad and if the sound is good the physics is bad. Such a waste of time.

What I want to say here is that with LFS we have a very good simulator, perhaps the best in town.

It is our responsibility to keep it safe from any mediocrity.
Quote from adirany :As for mods they are all half finished. If the physics is good the sound is bad and if the sound is good the physics is bad. Such a waste of time.

you say it's a waste of time, why don't you offer to help people improve their mods? I thought it was very arrogant of you.
Very easy to complain and do nothing to help.
Just for comparison I did some races with the clio cup and honda civic btcc in portland in rfactor 2. The cars are excellent (despite being a little old) and the track is wonderful but I was just racing in a video game. The experience was just good enough.

I did some races with the XFR (which is also front drive) in westhill in LFS. And here the experience was not good or bad. It was real. And this for me is unbeatable.
Who forces you to use the "crappy" mods? If you happen to encounter one that is great for your taste,mark it as favourite,then you will have your own hand picked list of good mods.
When it comes to user created content,there will always be quality differences. Same was already with servers - did you asked to close bad ones? Or same with layouts made by users - did you asked the bad ones to be deleted and never used again? Or skins...
Just ignore what you don't like,don't use it. Some high tiered DLC will not fix anything. Devs have proved before that they're not into huge profits unlike creators of AC[C] and iRacing,otherwise we would have S10 or so out there and subscription for online using.
No way. Are you actually serious?

DLC saving LFS? Don't make me laugh.

If the devs do that, which I highly doubt they ever will, then LFS is dead to me. And to a lot of other players.

Yes, if you play rFactor 2, you are racing in a video game. Play LFS? Same thing. No matter how realistic it may be, it's still a video game. And if you go overboard with monetization, people stop playing, and your game dies.

The way LFS does things right now is perfect. The mods system is the best thing to ever happen to this game. And if you don't like it, go play another game. It's what people do when they don't like a game: They go play something else.
No.

LFS is not a game.

LFS is a serious online simulator.
Guys just imagine a quality made TCR car in LFS. That thing will destroy everything else.

And we would not say before and after the christ after that. We would say before and after a TCR in LFS.
Quote from adirany :No.

LFS is not a game.

LFS is a serious online simulator.

Are you serious right now bro? Big grin
Quote from adirany :
But in general mods being produced by (amateur) individuals are lacking in some aspect or another (the aspect that the modder do not know, for example sound or physics).

When you find a physics problem in a mod, please leave some written feedback (what feels wrong and why) in the mod comments Smile There are many hours of research behind some mods (searching through specifications, blueprints, owner forums, repair manuals, repair and ride videos, using a real driving experience etc.). I think that many modders (including myself) would like such feedback, because it is very difficult to improve the quality without bug reports. With the proper feedback, we can increase the quality together Smile
LFS is not a game because something that links me so poetically to such beautiful machines can not be a game.

LFS is not a game because something that shows me the best part of me can not be a game.

LFS is not a game because something that teach me humility and honesty can not be a game.
adirany, you can be poetic as much as you want, at the end of the day, LFS is just a PC game - a very good one.
Ofc its a troll,6000km total cmon xdddd

DLC in LFS
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG