The online racing simulator
suggestion for engine section: would you please add v16 support as well, there is some bugatti mods coming along, and maybe rotary engine support in future. which will basically sound or behave like one stroke engine.
[quote="Scawen;2058277"] At the moment the rider animation doesn't affect weight distribution in any way, it's purely aesthetic.

Thanks for the info. So just to confirm, wherever you set the rider position in "object positions" is where the rider always remain from a mass perspective?
Quote from AR92 :suggestion for engine section: would you please add v16 support as well, there is some bugatti mods coming along, and maybe rotary engine support in future. which will basically sound or behave like one stroke engine.

For Bugatti u will need something like W layout because V16 is too long Tongue
@scawen Please allow movement values greater than 1 meter on axis for spare wheel.. I'm making a mod and it's an obstacle against further progression
Edit: attached image of what's the case.. Spare wheel can't reach the height of that cylindrical thing
Pink is max, 1 meter
Green is where it should be on this vehicle.
Attached images
IMG_20231002_164854.jpg
-
(Flame CZE) DELETED by Flame CZE
Quote from r3zp3k7 :When adding both LFS and LFS Editor to the taskbar, you have to figure out which one is which, because they share the same icon. I know you can make a shortcut and change its icon, and then pin it to the taskbar, but shouldn't the editor have its own icon? Maybe the same icon, but with "editor" text at the bottom?

Way easier to figure out which is which, when the icons are different.

I support this suggetion! I have created a thread in improvement suggestions with updated versions of both icons based on the new icon style: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/105341
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : misunderstood... vertical, OK
Quote from racer35 :Thanks for the info. So just to confirm, wherever you set the rider position in "object positions" is where the rider always remain from a mass perspective?

Yes, the mass of the driver is currently represented by the light yellow L shaped object, and the animation is visual / aesthetic only. It's not very satisfactory but that's as far as I got before we released the whole mods system. It was a reasonable representation in cars but for bike we will really need something much better.

Quote from bayanofmansorofisky :@scawen Please allow movement values greater than 1 meter on axis for spare wheel..

In the incompatible version I have been working on, that will be released soon (not the new physics and graphics, I'm talking about an incompatible version for mod support with the same old physics and graphics) I have done some updates for spare wheel.

Option to include a left or right spare wheel (or both if offset)
Option for single spare wheel to swap side when driver swaps side
Option for spare wheels to be based on rear or front wheels
Spare wheel heading can now be set (as well as lean)
Spare wheel offset can now be up to 1.25m (like road wheels)
Spare wheel vertical (up or z) position can be set up to 2m
Option to include hub object with any spare wheels

Quote from Drifteris :Scawen, if you going to touch engines, could you add crossplane option for inline 4 engine? If it's not too hard Smile

In addition, for V engines, a slider for V-angle. The maths to infer the firing intervals shouldn't be too involved.

For bikes we might need direct control of firing intervals in many cases, e.g. the various flavours of V4. V5s currently aren't allowed, even though that used to be the old crossplane V8 hack when the external tweakers were around, so at some point LFS could figure that out. V3s too Smile

Even with inline 3 engines, for real production bikes that someone might want to reproduce, there are 3 different crankshaft arrangements to choose from. Things start to get potentially complicated for the UI.

A simple solution is to select the crankpin separation (it would use some default value for the cylinder count and configuration) and have the editor duplicate that up. E.g. for Triumph's "T Plane" triple, you would choose the inline 3 and change the crankpin separation from 240 degrees up to 270. This would cover the third configuration, too: the early Laverda triples - select 180 degree crankpin separation.

The same control would work for the V4s and parallel twins.

More fiddly subjects like the difference between 120, 90 and 60 degree V6s, including even firing and uneven firing, would probably not benefit from varying the crankpin separation. Perhaps for these larger engines a simple tickbox for even or uneven firing, whilst still being able to change the V angle in either case.

I think that displaying the firing intervals directly will allow people to get the correct sound even if the in-editor configuration isn't exactly right.
Hey Scawen,

My suggestions is to add Digital RPM Gauge in the default s_clock clocks ( just like the digital speedo gauge ) .
Also can we have the option to choose the font of the digital gauges, right now the only option is to have the F1 style font ( I think it is called LCD font ), can we have the option to have the font of the Multi Function Display (MFD)

Thanks, hopefully this isn't much of distraction, but will be great addon.
Odometer display
Having an odometer number as a separate gauge that could be toggled on/off in the dashboard editor would be nice.

Some cars have the odometer near the center of the speedo gauge and this feature would allow us to make the odometer appear below the speedo needle. Right now it's only possible to place it using the multi function display component but it shows more things which can't be hidden.

Quote from Flame CZE :...

Odo its working fine, but yes, could be more easy to make.
Attached images
lfs_00015712.jpg
Not sure if thats the right place but, in real life we have ZF 8HP, and in LFS we can't have more than 7, so...... Can we have 8 gears in LFS?
Quote from ivo_drifta :Odo its working fine, but yes, could be more easy to make.

Yes but I don't want the gear stuff around it - just the odometer text without background.
On engine subject, would it be possible to allow trucks to have larger than 12L displacement? something like 16 liters so i can recreate CAT C15 and Cummins X15 or Scania V8?
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but bikes need stronger brakes. You can get stronger brakes by adding a back seat but it's more of a work around. Most sports bikes and normal bikes might have a back seat, but super bikes and motogp oriented bikes do not, so it's kinda weird to have that setting on for them otherwise their brakes are somewhat lacking, especially after bike physics update.
just thought of another thing. can we have the date in s_clock with the font of MFD ( not the LCD font )

In multiple styles -
Examples:
1. - 13.11.2023
2. - 13 November 2023

Thanks.
Quote from Flame CZE :I support this suggetion! I have created a thread in improvement suggestions with updated versions of both icons based on the new icon style: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/105341

I'm really busy in real life and it's hard to stay active on the forum. I've just seen your reply and your icons. Thank you for taking your time and from what I saw, really nice work, hopefully, I'll have time to model/play in a few weeks and I will change my icons to yours! Will give feedback when I get there. Maybe Scawen will also use them, so we can make a difference between both exe's in the taskbar.

Quote from Scawen :

BTW. Happy birthday to Geraldine. Best wishes.
Quote from Drifteris :I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but bikes need stronger brakes. You can get stronger brakes by adding a back seat but it's more of a work around. Most sports bikes and normal bikes might have a back seat, but super bikes and motogp oriented bikes do not, so it's kinda weird to have that setting on for them otherwise their brakes are somewhat lacking, especially after bike physics update.

Do you have a suggestion for a multiplier for the maximum brake force? I mean how much higher the brakes should be?

I tried allowing double for bikes (because 1 front wheel instead of 2 - needs more "brake per wheel" as you noticed) but it seems to be a lot more than needed. The disadvantage then is too much range on the slider. So maybe you have a better suggestion for the multiplier?
Quote from Scawen :Do you have a suggestion for a multiplier for the maximum brake force? I mean how much higher the brakes should be?

I tried allowing double for bikes (because 1 front wheel instead of 2 - needs more "brake per wheel" as you noticed) but it seems to be a lot more than needed. The disadvantage then is too much range on the slider. So maybe you have a better suggestion for the multiplier?

I don't know what multiplier it is now, but for a 200kg bike with a back seat enabled for a passenger, lowest brake pressure is around 150 and highest is about 650 Nm which is more than plenty. I personally use around 400-450 on Chimera X1. Some might use more idk but rear wheel lifts a lot then, unless for slow speed braking and doing stoppies.

EDIT: One thing to note is that Chimera X1 without enabled rear seat, has max brake pressure of 398 Nm, which is kinda low, especially if you want to play around with stoppies.
Thanks. What I mean by the multiplier, is a value to apply to the max value for bike brake force, as it currently stands. For example as you say Chimera X1 without rear seat has max brake 397, but you really want to use 450, then if I put a maximum bike brake force multiplier of 1.2, the slider would go up to 476 which would be enough for your purposes.

But I guess a multiplier of 1.2 would be cutting it a bit too fine. I want to make sure there is always enough brake force for reasonable purposes on nearly all bikes, but not to allow so much that the slider is mainly wasted space.

EDIT: I've solved this now. There was something funny about the way it accounted for passengers, and also the single front wheel, but this will be correct in the coming test patch. There will be no need to add a passenger seat to increase available brake force.
I've found an edge case where the warning that unsaved changes will be lost doesn't appear - when loading a vehicle in the editor after making changes. Found that out by accidentally pressing load instead of save Big grin

At least only like a minute of progress was lost
In recent editors you can undo the 'load vehicle' operation to restore the unsaved changes.
Neutral gear indicator is needed for some (probably most) bikes.
I've managed to hack it on Vulcan 998 using VWS multi function display set to green color. It lights up when gear is in neutral and area around "N" in cutout goes green.

Couldn't get it working on other bikes as Chimera X1 is using formula clocks where multi function display is not available and Reaper X1 uses different display set to grey color.
Hah... Today i finished update for my mod and hold on with upload because it was using some workarounds for rims. Thank u for releasing it!

I want to ask about engines. Different engines uses different materials and enineering so one 5.0 V8 can have different weight to another 5.0 V8.
Same for engine sizes.
Do we gona have some options to adjust that in the future? This should allow us to make car inertia more accurate. For example we could use V16 layout but adjust dimensions to make W16 etc.
I seen that editor displays engine weight arleady.

I guess it's deeper change that I think, same for gears?
Could you add an optional dashboard symbol for sidelights?

Quote from AR92 :suggestion for engine section: would you please add v16 support as well.

Quote from bayanofmansorofisky :@scawen Please allow movement values greater than 1 meter on axis for spare wheel..

Quote from Jardim :On engine subject, would it be possible to allow trucks to have larger than 12L displacement? something like 16 liters

These suggestions are now available in D50.

Quote from Drifteris :Neutral gear indicator is needed for some (probably most) bikes.
I've managed to hack it on Vulcan 998 using VWS multi function display set to green color. It lights up when gear is in neutral and area around "N" in cutout goes green.

I wondered how you did that! Smile

I think I should be able to add this in a version compatible with D50, along with the sidelights icon requested by Flame.

Quote from versiu :Hah... Today i finished update for my mod and hold on with upload because it was using some workarounds for rims. Thank u for releasing it!

I want to ask about engines. Different engines uses different materials and enineering so one 5.0 V8 can have different weight to another 5.0 V8.

It's a reasonable request, not too hard but should be done with care. Anyway, I can't do it in a compatible update so this is one for the future.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG