The online racing simulator
Defining 'drift' ? Where it starts- where it ends?
Ah, that lovely term that starts up the flame wars of drivers. Well, I wonder what exactly is considered a 'drift'. What makes a drift, well, a drift? Can drifting be beyond just a powerslide whose goal is to stick the car's back end as far out as possible? Or is there a certain "slip angle" that drifting is no longer drifting?
Quote from GTR_Yuni :What makes a drift, well, a drift?

When it's a drift, there's a chav driving.
Whel the term for even a minor slide is a slight drift so sliding=drifting in racing world.
But for some reason when a FWD car does it ist cosidere sliding since its not doing it on the power send to the back tyres.
Quote from wheel4hummer :When it's a drift, there's a chav driving.

When it's post like that, there's a troll posting
#6 - G!NhO
a drift is when a car slides its back end
I guess drift is the intentionial way to drift your back around for style.
Powerslide is just the control beyond grip to gain some extra speed.
#8 - G!NhO
but please there are already millions of these threads
Quote from squidhead :When it's post like that, there's a troll posting

Oh, is that what they cal the truth these days? This thread is a troll thread. There is already a thread debating what "drifting" is, and if it is "faster" then racing.
#10 - 5haz
Most of what many call drifting nowadays is infact extremely over the top powersliding.

My idea of a drift is if the car is sliding sideways, but there is little or no opposite lock applied, instead of the back wheels spinning wildly with no grip and the front wheels gripping and keeping the back inline, all four wheels are sliding, the four wheel drift lies in a really thin line between all four wheels gripping and a powerslide, it's very hard to achieve in modern cars with lots of grip, but in older cars with less grip, drivers like Fangio often held cars in a drift through entire corners, with incredibly skill.

Powersliding however, although not every idiot can do it, is not half as hard as keeping control of a proper drift.

In my absense I learnt that the best way to put an end to a silly thread is with a sensible answer.
Quote from 5haz :
My idea of a drift is if the car is sliding sideways, but there is little or no opposite lock applied, instead of the back wheels spinning wildly with no grip and the front wheels gripping and keeping the back inline, all four wheels are sliding, the four wheel drift lies in a really thin line between all four wheels gripping and a powerslide, it's very hard to achieve in modern cars with lots of grip, but in older cars with less grip, drivers like Fangio often held cars in a drift through entire corners, with incredibly skill.

Yeah this was what drifting was all about at the beginning : a way to remove the limitation of the cars/tires.

Nowadays, since the tires are better, the optimal slip zone is too thin for an average/good racer to be in it. We can just check the example of the XRG/XRT : the slip zone on normals is quite large, so you can be fast when sliding, but in the XRT, since it's heavier and it has supers, the optimal slip zone is so small and not that much rewarding (tires heat too fast and it is hard to get into that zone), that it is overally more rewarding to have your 4 tires grip the road.
To me a 'drift' is anything more than the optimum slip angle and less than a spin. So any time you have to start counter steering (or even winding off some lock)
drift is when the car drifts, simple, it's an extremely broad term. even if it's just the rear that drifts, i guess technically understeer could be considered a type of drift.
Quote from nisskid :drift is when the car drifts, simple, it's an extremely broad term. even if it's just the rear that drifts, i guess technically understeer could be considered a type of drift.

so tell me....is 4wd drifting also drifting? because some dude from WS.D says: "No we dont use RB4 because its 4WD and thats not drifting :dunce:" is true or is it just bullshit, because i think its bullshit.
like i said, drifting is extremely broad, you wanna talk competition drifting, well that's a different story, most drift competition regs restrict FWD and AWD cars.
Quote from g!nho :because Some Dude From Ws.d Says: "no We Dont Use Rb4 Because Its 4wd And Thats Not Drifting :dunce:"

Oy!!
Drifting with RB4 suxx... And with each 4X4 as well... OK, Ken Block is an exception
i can drift properly with rb4
If the 4 four wheels are doing it .. result
lol in my point of view ITS only drifting if the car is sideways befor the entry of a corner.if you kick a car sideways under power 1/4 to 3/4 though a corner thats just powersliding.

a proper drift shouldnt require that much power depending on the corner and conditions but if your good you could drift with 100 BHP in the dry in a silvia s13

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG