The online racing simulator
World of Goo
(58 posts, started )
World of Goo
New game out for Christmas i guess, there is a free demo available. Try it out & see what ya think. Some say its the next best puzzle game since lemmings.

I found it quite addictive. It's a bit like playing with bendy lego.

Your views:
Brilliant, brilliant fun. I bought it last weekend. One of the best games I've played in a long time.

It's kind of like 'lemmings with physics'. You have a bunch of goo balls that you need to get to an exit, like Lemmings. You can stick these goo balls together to make structures - any unused goo balls will wander around randomly on your structure. The idea is to build the structure over and around any obstacles to get your goo balls to the exit. The less you use in your construction, the more you can save, so it pays to build efficiently. There are also different types such as balls that need different numbers of anchor points, some explode, some can be detached from the structure once you don't need them.

The best part is that structures are all subject to soft-body physics so will bend, squash and fall over if you don't build carefully.

Try the demo - it's awesome.
#4 - JJ72
hah does some people got psychic power? seen it on steam for a while already and I just bought it this afternoon, gone through chapter one and i am suprised at the overall quality of the product, the stage design are really thoughtful as well.
I've been playing this for a few weeks know and it is way too much fun to be legal. The music is great too. It should be released for a Christmas number one.
28 meters & climbing
Attached images
goo28m.JPG
#8 - Vain
I'm actually considering buying the game solely based on the fact that it has no copy protection.

Vain
#9 - bbman
#10 - JJ72
that's actually a pretty good link, especially the part that DRM doesn't really show better privacy prevention in statistics.
Quote from anttt69 :Ok 25metres here post a screenie to beat it .

Tried that, really annoying because it keeps falling over at about 10 meters
103,17 cm......yeahh

Oh damn, wrong game

Edit: Removed Attachement, it's maybe a little bit to explicit
Looks like the underside of a male's ... area if you ask me, with the butt-cheeks and ball sacks.
That's exactly what it is.

EDIT: made it to 133.somewhat centimeters ony m first try.
Quote from bbman :And therefore has a piracy rate of about 90 %...

http://2dboy.com/2008/11/13/90/

They're very, very sensible (read: have a better idea than pretty much every other software developer) when they say that one pirated copy *does not* equal one lost sale. I hesitate to make up percentages, but I'll say that 'a hell of a lot of' pirates wouldn't have bought the game at all if there was no way to get it for free.
Quote :And therefore has a piracy rate of about 90 %...

When I heard World of Goo was out I went straight to the torrent sites to see if I could download it... it was there, but I had a sudden pang of guilt and decided not to.
It's ok to rip off big companies such as Bestheda and the like, but nooo, it's not for a crappy little game that probbably took 1/18th of the effort.
By the way they didn't say how many copies did they sell (afaik) but 90% of players have cracked version - sad banana :sadbanana
(Most of the Diner Dash clones usually have about 50% of ilegal copies)
The 90% is pretty much a guess looking at how they arrived at it, but that figure does not suprise me. However most of those pirated copies are not lost sales. For a company arguing against DRM they're sure giving the conglomerates all the justification they need to carry on implementing it, frustratingly.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :It's ok to rip off big companies such as Bestheda and the like, but nooo, it's not for a crappy little game that probbably took 1/18th of the effort.

Oi! It's not a crappy game, it's awesome. Bought it immediately after I tested the demo a month or so ago. Can't really remember any game bringing such grin on my face in long time, last time must have been some LX6 racing, and that's a long time ago when LFS still made adrenaline rush trough my vanes (not saying LFS is dull, I'm just more used to pressure). It made me grin a wide smile because it surprised me on it's brilliance. It has a good original idea with colorful yet simple and well done graphics and it's plenty of fun. Oh and I just love the music too.

And yes, small companies are worth supporting because they every now and then produce something different from the main stream.
Quote from Becky Rose :For a company arguing against DRM they're sure giving the conglomerates all the justification they need to carry on implementing it, frustratingly.

I guess that "DRM Free :-)" part is mostly a marketing trick but then again, a company is only interested in revenues, a 90% piracy rate with sales for 2,000 is better than a 0% piracy rate with only 1,000 copies.

And, those 2,000 customers are also likely happier because none of them had any trouble with the copy protection, and they don't flood your helpdesk/official forum.

If your game is any good it doesn't hurt to have lots of people looking at it, the more try it out, the more can turn into paying customers.
#22 - Vain
Quote from Becky Rose :For a company arguing against DRM they're sure giving the conglomerates all the justification they need to carry on implementing it, frustratingly.

Actually, on their website the developers stated that with one of their previous games, which shipped with DRM, the estimated pirate-ratio was equal/slightly higher (92%).
Of course that's just two examples and not a well based study. However, I'm fairly sure for mini-/midi-game developers DRM mostly increases costs and reduces customer-affiliation.

Vain
-
(Blackout) DELETED by Blackout
Quote from S14 DRIFT :It's ok to rip off big companies such as Bestheda and the like, but nooo, it's not for a crappy little game that probbably took 1/18th of the effort.

... says Mr. Crackerhunter himself...
Quote from Blackout :Oi! It's not a crappy game, it's awesome. Bought it immediately after I tested the demo a month or so ago. Can't really remember any game bringing such grin on my face in long time, last time must have been some LX6 racing, and that's a long time ago when LFS still made adrenaline rush trough my vanes (not saying LFS is dull, I'm just more used to pressure). It made me grin a wide smile because it surprised me on it's brilliance. It has a good original idea with colorful yet simple and well done graphics and it's plenty of fun. Oh and I just love the music too.

And yes, small companies are worth supporting because they every now and then produce something different from the main stream.

I meant 'crappy game' in terms of size and stuff. :X

I mean, if someone wanted Fallout 3, for example (me..), I'd just use a cracked one? Why? There are several reasons. One may be lack of money, or lack of time or/and interest. Others may include "well I wouldn't buy it but I wouldn't mind playing it" kind of thing.

Besides, while we're on the topic of Fallout 3, I'm glad I didn't buy it, because it's got more bugs than "Boiling Point : Road to Hell", and that's saying something.

People seem to jump up and down in protest at people cracking games like this,(the smaller games, this and LFS, etc) yet I'm willing to bet a good 75% of you have some form of copied software, whether it be a game, or a program such as Adobe Photoshop. And I'd guess 90% of you have downloaded music in such a way as well.

Quote from bbman :... says Mr. Crackerhunter himself...

Only 3 things, Photoshop (I rarely use, anyway), Fallout 3, as said above, and RBR because I can't find it anywhere to buy.
I bought the full version, and I'm now stuck on level 2 on the 2nd chapter, the one where you have to somehow float over a gap using 3 balloons.

EDIT: Just worked it out, I was doing everything backwards.

World of Goo
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG