The online racing simulator
E-brake forced linked to brake settings
Hey, i think every one else know about that, but isn't it abnormal that when you set the brake force, it also affects the hand brake power ?

Try for instance putting it as low as possible, and you'll see that your wheels will not lock.

I've always heard that the e-brake had nothing to do with the standard brake system, and that it was mostly a drum brake located somewhere on the shaft (please correct me if I'm wrong, which is most likely the case) and not at the wheels.

If it is the case, should that brake have a no possibility of setting or a different bar from the brakes ?

Thanks for your answers
You're kind of right. The E-brake is independent from the brake system as far as I know. Under an Infiniti G20, there is a cable that leads to the rear drum brake and the handbrake is attached to that cable. About adjusting e-brake power, I'm thinking you can adjust cable tension by adjusting length but I think it would snap if you don't have a strong cable.
A long time ago the hand brake pressure was just as adjustable as max brake pressure is now, but for some reason it was removed
Quote from Glenn67 :A long time ago the hand brake pressure was just as adjustable as max brake pressure is now, but for some reason it was removed

You're right, that was a loong time ago. No idea why it was removed... it's more easy and realistic to be able to adjust the handbrake strength then the brakes in a roadcar. Anywho, it's just a game...
I hated it when I tried going around a hairpin on RallyX but the rears didn't lock up and I slammed into a few people (it was the Blackwood RallyX course. I was on asphalt and my rears had too much grip). They vote-kicked me.

I'd love to see the handbrake adjustment feature back.
If my memory's right it was removed because it ends as an exploit...
Using a negative e-brake value gave you some kind of "nawz"....
:chairs:
#7 - bbman
Quote from 1303s_vortech :If my memory's right it was removed because it ends as an exploit...

That, and also I've never seen a handbrake use anything else than the rear brakes... So if you set the maximum braking force for the rear brakes, how could it possibly be something else than that? Another brake (where?)? Magic?
its indeed something else, hence the cable to operate it ( at leas in some cars) I remeber reading on some car forum about a MR swap, where a guy moved a fwd chassis/engine unit to the rear of his car, and used the subframes old front brakes, he had to buy a aftermarked handbrake, but I can't remember how it exactly worked
Quote from bbman :That, and also I've never seen a handbrake use anything else than the rear brakes... So if you set the maximum braking force for the rear brakes, how could it possibly be something else than that? Another brake (where?)? Magic?

Handbrake on my Mazda Bongo uses a drum on each rear wheel, wheras the 'proper' rear braking is done via discs.. so I guess there must be other vehicles about with this setup
Quote from Zen321 :Hey, i think every one else know about that, but isn't it abnormal that when you set the brake force, it also affects the hand brake power ?

Try for instance putting it as low as possible, and you'll see that your wheels will not lock.

I've always heard that the e-brake had nothing to do with the standard brake system, and that it was mostly a drum brake located somewhere on the shaft (please correct me if I'm wrong, which is most likely the case) and not at the wheels.

If it is the case, should that brake have a no possibility of setting or a different bar from the brakes ?

Thanks for your answers

Yes that's the case in LFS, and no that's incorrect in RL.

Edit : KOB - WOW YOU HAVE A MAZDA BONGO FRENDEEEEE
Quote from KOB_CHEESE :Handbrake on my Mazda Bongo uses a drum on each rear wheel, wheras the 'proper' rear braking is done via discs.. so I guess there must be other vehicles about with this setup

Yeah that is what I heard. Maybe for rear-drum-braked car, it uses the same value, however in LFS all of, or at least most of, the cars use rear disk brakes, and I am not sure that a car uses the rear disk brakes as the park brake. (again, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Quote from 1303s_vortech :If my memory's right it was removed because it ends as an exploit...

How was it possible to set negative values to LFS ?? Is that the Speed Hack ? (when you have the e-brake on it accelerates even more).
wow i never knew that ebrakes were seperate in some cars. my car has stock rear drums so i assume that the ebrake just locks the regular brakes.
Quote from flymike91 :wow i never knew that ebrakes were seperate in some cars. my car has stock rear drums so i assume that the ebrake just locks the regular brakes.

You car is probably like others of millions cars are too.

When you press your brake pedal, you create pressure to the hydraulic system and in end of that system, in the drum, there is brake-cylinder, that pressure pushes little pistons and those pistons move the brake shoes and those brakes shoes push against the drum, causing some decrease in speed.

BUT, when you pull the handbrake, it does not use the same hydraulic system than the foot brake, it is operated by a wire and that wire moves those brake shoes.

So if you would adjust the brake power (hydraulic pressure) it wouldn't have an effect on the handbrake.

Many racing cars have hydraulic handbrake, but on street cars they're not usual.
I have to confess I don't know a lot about hydraulic handbrake, but I'll assume it usually is it's own separate system, so it is possible to adjust foot brake and handbrake separately.

Yes, separating foot brake pressure and handbrake pressure adjust from each other in LFS would be realistic, tho I don't think it's that important.
Quote :Many racing cars have hydraulic handbrake, but on street cars they're not usual.

Some cars (usually early models) have magnetic e-brake.

Quote :How was it possible to set negative values to LFS?[...]Is that the Speed Hack ?[...]

Back in S1 (old one), yes...
Don't ask me, I don't know how it work in details.
I'm all for separate settings as before, but not until setups get some kind of protection against these exploits.
I had also thought the e-brake just used the rear brake system. It surprises me that a car with rear disks would also have a separate drum as well.

On another note, in my car with rear disks, I've pressed in the brake pedal then pulled the hand brake and felt a pressure difference through my foot (the pedal pushed back).

From that I assumed that the cable was connected to the rear brake.
I know this is useless but it's for info:
Some cars have their e-brake working on front wheels (ex:citroen xantia, old saab 900)...
Quote from 1303s_vortech :Some cars (usually early models) have magnetic e-brake.

Really? How early you actually mean? I myself have never saw a magnetic handbrake and can't even imagine how something like that works.

I tried google, but nothing came up, I could be interested about knowing more of this.
I agree, this kind of systems is not common yet.
This is initially used to slow trains.
It can be used in a car, where it helps to gain space in the underframe ...

eg: Continental (& probably other brands) produces an electric E-brake, usually used on expensive models yet...
This kind of system isn't really cheaper compared to regular cable operated brake, seems to require less maintenance anyway.

Sorry for o/t.

edit: using "magnetic" in my sentence wasn't right to describe the way it works.

Ah ok, with early I actually thought you mean something old, like from 50's or so. And so I was like OMG have never heard of that, what is that thing.
Magnetic ebrakes anyone?
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! That's funny.
All cars have a separate emergency brake system that is independant from their primary braking system (hydraulics) The e-brake is almost always applied via cables.

theres also many different styles, drum brakes are applied using a cable, while discs may be applied by a "screw type" caliper piston that rotates out and locks. or the disc can have a small drum built into its hub and be applied that way.

in any case, i agree it should be adjustable separately from the regular brakes
Having been demoted back to mouse and keyboard I definitely would like to see the hb and foot brake systems separate. Having to have the brakes low and not being able to lock the rears is very annoying. Even if we can't set the value ourselves, set it to something that's always going to lock the wheels

This problem still exists wich proves that removing the e-brake did nothing else than make the game less realistic, the Devs should allow saparate e-brake adjust again.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG