The online racing simulator
""It's going to happen," said Ecclestone. "All the teams are happy. The whole reason for this was that I was fed up with people talking about no overtaking. The reason there's no overtaking is nothing to do with the circuit or the people involved, it's to do with the drivers not needing to overtake."

1. That didn't stop Hamilton
2. MotoGP !!!!!
#53 - MR_B

"would you care to dance m'lady?"

Not a very manly handshake for such a manly sport!

(I guessed this was a slate bernie thread)
The moron has been watching A1GP too much, he saw that they have a graphic showing podiums with gold, silver and bronze medals, but didn't seem to realise they still score points too. If he wants to make overtaking more attractive then they need to increase the points gap.

1st - 25
2nd - 20
3rd - 16
4th - 12
5th - 10
6th -8
7th - 6
8th -4
9th -2
10th -1
Quote from Intrepid :""It's going to happen," said Ecclestone. "All the teams are happy. The whole reason for this was that I was fed up with people talking about no overtaking. The reason there's no overtaking is nothing to do with the circuit or the people involved, it's to do with the drivers not needing to overtake."

No need for changing the aero regulations (including and adjustable front wing) and introducing a "push to pass" button then, I guess. Oh, right, he didn't mention the cars.

(I wonder if all the teams are really as happy as Bernie says.)
In before a shitstorm of controversy when a driver with 5 wins and a theoretical ~70 points wins the championship over a driver with 4 wins but a theoretical ~120 points due to consistent finishes.
Seems like Eddie Jordan agrees with most of us on the issue:

Quote from guardian.co.uk :Former team boss Eddie Jordan has poured cold water on Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone's plans to have the drivers' world championship decided by gold medals rather than points. "I think they are a nonsense," Jordan told BBC radio on Wednesday.
"I can't possibly believe he's thinking straight, especially on this one. His focus must be on cost-cutting and nothing else. The rest is just dressing it up." (...)
"He (Ecclestone) is tinkering with something on which he has lost the understanding."

And he also seems to harbour the same doubts I am having regarding the teams' happiness:

Quote from guardian.co.uk :"There has not been enough thought put into this and for him to say that it comes with the full approval of all the teams -- I'm sorry, I just don't believe it."

Edit: Looking forward to next season on BBC, btw.
All this tampering only re-enforces the lack of sporting credentials of F1 today. OK, it's never really been about finding the 'best drivers, but this re-adjustment of the system only goes to show F1 is just a show and not much more.

A medal system is just a lame attempt at improving the 'show', and has VERY little credibility.

It ONLY works in a one-off race type situation like the Olympic 100m or the Karting World Championship. 1 race, winner takes all. But over a muiti-round championship medals don't work.
Just wait for the standard engines, we will end up with a less entertaining version of A1GP.
Quote from TFalke55 :I like the medal system to be used in dead heat, but not as relevant scoring system.
How about giving 10 points to the winner, and every 5 seconds after the finish crossing drops automatically by 1. Plus for the Ranking... so:

Winner crosses finish: -> 10 pts -> points for the second automatically drop by 1. if he does not cross the finish line within 5 seconds of the winner, it will drop by another point.

e.g.

Allmendinger would win -> 10 pts
Tracy finishs with 2,650s Gap -> 9 pts
M.Schumacher follows, but with 5,103s Gap to Tracy -> 7 pts
Bourdais spun in the last lap while trying to pass tracy because of having an exploded tyre, passing the line with 16,221s gap to Schumi -> 4pts
Now it's close: Vettel, Scheckter, Massa coming 3wide onto start/finish... Scheckter crosses first and having 3,298s to Bourdais -> 3pts
Vettel next with 0,019s to Scheckter -> 2pts
and finally Massa with 0,123s to Vettel -> 1pts

and, if it is needed... A.J. would get gold, Paul silver and Michael bronze...

This is a really ridiculous idea. The points would depend largely on safety car situations.
Also another consequence is the teams may have to pick a drive to favour early on and encourage team orders. Simplicity should always rule!

There's some suggestions a new points system should include a fastest lap point. I am not 100% subscribed to this. Let's take the example, extreme I know, that you go into the final race with a 10 point gap and you spin and damage a tyre on the first lap. You lose a lap maybe. Your rival is on the for the win and 10 points. So the championship is a dead heat BUT your rival would win on count back. What do youi do?

Burn some fuel, come in a wack on some new tyres for a quali run!!! Get the fastest lap, and the championship is yours ! That just aint right!

Extreme, but shows the flaws in the theory.

Keep it SIMPLE

You qualify on saturday, and get points on sunday for where you finish... easy.
Quote from Intrepid :Also another consequence is the teams may have to pick a drive to favour early on and encourage team orders.

Sounds like that would favour a certain team, and considering their driver would have won last season with that system you have to wonder about the timing of this. It makes no sense at all, and I think it's worth turning it into another conspiracy just to piss off Bernie and Max.
Quote from Intrepid :Burn some fuel, come in a wack on some new tyres for a quali run!!! Get the fastest lap, and the championship is yours ! That just aint right!

That's easily rectified by applying the GP2 rule of having to finish in the points in order to get that point for fastest lap, though.

I think the bigger problem is that points for fastest race lap will increase the gap between the top and the runner-ups. I'm sure someone will know off their head how many times the fastest race lap was not set by either a silver or a red car last season. I bet it wasn't often.
Gold medals is fine, but I would do it a bit differently:

Winner gets 12 gold medals
2nd gets 8
3rd gets 6
4th gets 5
and so on.

most gold medals at the end of the season wins the championship
Quote from gezmoor :Go with the MotoGP points IMO. Allows for more emphasis on winning and placing high but also gives an incentive to gain the extra place most of the way down the grid. With points/medals only awarded to the top 3-5 placers all the rest wouldn't bother racing each other

MotoGP Points

1st: 25 points
2nd: 20 points
3rd: 16 points
4th: 13 points
5th: 11 points
6th: 10 points
7th: 9 points
8th: 8 points
9th: 7 points
10th: 6 points
11th: 5 points
12th: 4 points
13th: 3 points
14th: 2 points
15th: 1 point

Interestingly 2008 WDC would have ended up like this with the MotoGP scoring (change compared to actual placing):

Hamilton: 268 (+0)
Massa : 258 (+0)
Kubica : 217 (+1)
Kimmi : 216 (-1)
Heidfeld : 197 (+1)
Alonso : 188 (-1)
Heikki : 171 (+0)
Trulli : 124 (+1)
Vettel : 118 (-1)

No change in the overall winner but some interesting swaps further down the list.

I agree wholeheartedly. You often see someone (Rossi or Stoner) dropping the bike for whatever reason on the first few laps, and desperatly racing for that 13th or 14th position.

Funny though, that applying totaly different scoring system to the F1, the results stay pretty much the same.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Gold medals is fine, but I would do it a bit differently:

Winner gets 12 gold medals
2nd gets 8
3rd gets 6
4th gets 5
and so on.

most gold medals at the end of the season wins the championship

Perfect solution. That would really make Bernie and the teams happy.
Quote from gezmoor :Go with the MotoGP points IMO. Allows for more emphasis on winning and placing high but also gives an incentive to gain the extra place most of the way down the grid. With points/medals only awarded to the top 3-5 placers all the rest wouldn't bother racing each other

MotoGP Points

1st: 25 points
2nd: 20 points
3rd: 16 points
4th: 13 points
5th: 11 points
6th: 10 points
7th: 9 points
8th: 8 points
9th: 7 points
10th: 6 points
11th: 5 points
12th: 4 points
13th: 3 points
14th: 2 points
15th: 1 point

Interestingly 2008 WDC would have ended up like this with the MotoGP scoring (change compared to actual placing):

Hamilton: 268 (+0)
Massa : 258 (+0)
Kubica : 217 (+1)
Kimmi : 216 (-1)
Heidfeld : 197 (+1)
Alonso : 188 (-1)
Heikki : 171 (+0)
Trulli : 124 (+1)
Vettel : 118 (-1)

No change in the overall winner but some interesting swaps further down the list.

MotoGP does not place extra emphasis on winning:

25 divided by 2.5 = 10

20 divided by 2.5 = 8

16 divided by 2.5 = 6 (rounded down )
The medal system wouldn't add any passing simply because manufacturers would still score points. The number 1 reason why the drivers aren't going all out in the current system is because the teams are happy with the points you get from 2nd 3rd and 4th positions.

As for the possibility that one driver would finish second in every race and not win the championship, if anything that's right. Someone who gets beaten on regular basis in every race should not win the championship imho. How can someone be the best if he is 2nd all the time?

I think the medal system would be better if the teams were awarded with medals and the drivers kept scoring points. That way the drivers always have incentive to go for the win, even the teams would encourage them to do this. For the teams, the wins count more as well, I'm sure the marketing departments would like to keep mentioning that they are the team that won the most races instead of being the title winner without winning even one.

That would really mess up the rest of the pack though for the constructors who can't win...
If anything, it'll turn it into a ferrari benifit and make the small teams spend more to keep up. Unless Max/Bernie just want a grid full of McFerraris anyway
Quote from Hyperactive :The medal system wouldn't add any passing simply because manufacturers would still score points. The number 1 reason why the drivers aren't going all out in the current system is because the teams are happy with the points you get from 2nd 3rd and 4th positions.

As for the possibility that one driver would finish second in every race and not win the championship, if anything that's right. Someone who gets beaten on regular basis in every race should not win the championship imho. How can someone be the best if he is 2nd all the time?

I think the medal system would be better if the teams were awarded with medals and the drivers kept scoring points. That way the drivers always have incentive to go for the win, even the teams would encourage them to do this. For the teams, the wins count more as well, I'm sure the marketing departments would like to keep mentioning that they are the team that won the most races instead of being the title winner without winning even one.

That would really mess up the rest of the pack though for the constructors who can't win...

A tennis player can win a match by scoring less points than the opponent. In theory this could happen in every match of a tournament. Would someone be a worthy winner if in every match they were outscored on actual points won?

I used to be someone that thought a champion should be the won who won a ton of races, but over the years the best driver is the one that is the most consistent. The driver who at any point of the year you could go up to and put them in a car and they would perform at a very high level.

Take Richard Burns for example. He was the perfect example of a driver who you knew 100% that at any point of the year he could perform at a very high level and finish. In 2001 he only won one rally, but he won the title, and fully deservedly.

On a personal level however, I want to see a driver take every opportunity, and not be a pus5y. The holy grail is to consistently win of course.

I think the actual championship this year was a lot closer than it really was. I do believe Hamilton was the best driver most of the time, but forces plotted against this.

The point system works because it takes into account everything that you want from a driver. You want them to be able to win, and be awarded accordingly, but also for them to be consistent which should be awarded accordingly.

I think the current points system is unfair, but don't I think a driver should be punished because they are very consistent. Some drivers make a career out of being consistent but not necessarily super fast! Kubica had a chance of the championship with a few races left because of his consistency. A medal system would have had him out of the equation a LONG way back!

Medal systems are for one-off events, and NOT muilti-round championships!

again.... lol
No, imho the world championship winner needs to be a winner, not a good runner-up. That's really my opinion and tennis has nothing to do with.

The system needs to be that you need to win few races, consistency is and should be important as well but the amount of how many times you have beaten everybody else on the grid should matter more.
consistency is a little more important to me then winning races but say if kubica won the title this year i would be a little disapointed that he only won 1 race(by other team fualts as well).

Without consistancy there just a driver that is good at certian races rather then a driver who has a high degree of skill in most/every race.
Drivers won't just decide to finish 2nd or 3rd, if they can win they will try their best to do so regardless of how many points they gain. The only thing this medal system will do is reduce the overtaking and half the season. Would people really keep watching if the championship was won in the first 6 races and the driver could just go home for the rest of the year.

Typical that we finally get F1 back on the BBC, and we stopped the cock, and we get crap looking cars, a stupid points system, and new regulations that will spread the field out and make the races boring again.
If consistency rather than outright speed wins championships then Coulthard should be a 9 times world champion!!!! And I think most would agree that's just silly. However, consistency should be slightly more of a factor than it is now because the only driver who deserved the championship proper was Kubica. Made about 1% of the mistakes that the idiots in front of him managed.

However, it's a combination of winning and consistency, with a bias towards winning that decides the champion, and even though it gave us a dodgy result this year, I still think it's about right. Maybe not quite enough of a reward for the outright win, but not far off.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG