The online racing simulator
Quote from RossUK :Where the hell did 70GB come from? About 4GB iirc.

The topic slipped into X-Plane talk. As has already been said, it's X-Plane that has the 70gb world scenery package, not this new helo sim. Dunno how big the file is for this new game ?
When they're programming the game and all that, they have meetings to discuss a target for the game's requirements (CPU, GFX, HD Space, etc)

So imagine, they're all sat round the table.

"Well Jenkins, have you finished programming the textures and interfaces?"
"Yes, a very small problem, it's 70 gigs+".
-Silence-
"Carry on!"

I mean come on, myself on my modest 160gb HD has around 25gigs left, maybe 30 if I cleared up some stuff I didn't use. 70gigs means new HD time.....
I'm lost.... is this KA-50 a helicopter sim or game with scenarios; is it out yet and if so, what's it like?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :When they're programming the game and all that, they have meetings to discuss a target for the game's requirements (CPU, GFX, HD Space, etc)

-Silence-
"Carry on!"

I mean come on, myself on my modest 160gb HD has around 25gigs left, maybe 30 if I cleared up some stuff I didn't use. 70gigs means new HD time.....

you dont need to install any scenery for x-plane to work, its designed so that you can install any combination, or none, of the scenery packages. If you go somewhere with no scenery installed, you just see a lot of water. Its a very well designed game.
#80 - senn
Why did i give my FFB joystick to my cousin *cries*
Quote from StableX :I'm lost.... is this KA-50 a helicopter sim or game with scenarios; is it out yet and if so, what's it like?

Yes.

Yes, in russia. The Western version is under a different publisher and probably won't be out for a month or so as they're still translating the manual and training videos.

From what I've read from people playing the russian version it's fantastic.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Yes.

Yes, in russia. The Western version is under a different publisher and probably won't be out for a month or so as they're still translating the manual and training videos.

From what I've read from people playing the russian version it's fantastic.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've always looked for a new Helicopter type game/sim. I loved the Gunship game and have the MS Flight Sim.

I'll keep tabs on this new one as it's stunning. I better go to the loft and find my Saitek X45. Hope I still have it somewhere.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :When they're programming the game and all that, they have meetings to discuss a target for the game's requirements (CPU, GFX, HD Space, etc)

-Silence-
"Carry on!"

You get 1 GB for less than an Euro nowadays, so I can't see the problem?
I Imagine LFS would be well over 70 GB if you downloaded every single skin that anyone had ever made
meh, sucks, had the game, installed, getting all this errors. so... i got mad, and deleted it, because all the ???? ?/? ?/???? / ? ? error ??? ???? letters make my confused because i can't read Russian
That's what you get for downloading illegal games from torrents.
Quote from Crashgate3 :That's what you get for downloading illegal games from torrents.

Who said i torrented it? the ???? are the same from real game and torrent, russian won't diffrent.
Quote from wildwilly :you dont need to install any scenery for x-plane to work, its designed so that you can install any combination, or none, of the scenery packages. If you go somewhere with no scenery installed, you just see a lot of water. Its a very well designed game.

Ohhhh, right that explains it

@BBMan, it's ok if you have the spare money. I too need a new hard drive (running out of space on this 160gb one), yet I cannot afford it
I want to try this Helicopter sim so much..... anyone got any ideas when the English version will be out????

also, can anyway think of any other good Helicopter sim/games...? I've tried apache....
It won't be out till after new year.

There's a new video out: http://www.virtual-jabog32.de/ ... &file=952&lang=en (apologies if that link doesn't work - it's blocked at work so I can't check) which shows it off nicely, as well as the surprisingly good looking 'arcade mode' that should help it sell better than most ultra hardcore sims.
thanks for that... WoW... that looks amazing! Interesting to see that the GUI is in English so they are quite far forward with things!

Great find indeed!
Yeah, I think the Arcade mode was a real nice idea by Eagle Dynamics. The more copies they sell the better, they have a load of aircraft planned for this DCS series.
What's cool is the the 'arcade-ness' is all controlled with sliders, so you can have it ultra realistic or completely arcade, or anywhere in between, using whatever aspects you like. Other 'sim' games take note. GRiD, and pretty much every Codemasters' racing game since TOCA 2 could have been amazing if only they'd had a sim<----|---->arcade slider, as opposed to getting more and more arcadey with each release.
The new video looks just great! Would be great for RC-heli-pilots if it could be controlled with one of these:
Attached images
gamecommander.jpg
Just bumping this thread a tad.
Quote from tristancliffe :Installed F4:AF over the weekend, although time was limited to a quick-start dogfight in which I managed to find my way home, land, but didn't work out the wheel-brake command before I hit the fence at the end of the runway

Hopefully I'll get a bit of time to read the manual and download the keycharts etc.

Anyone know if there are any free addons/mods etc for AF? I've found the latest patch, and I've found a payware scenary texture update (don't want to pay )...

The flight model is lovely though

I found a really neat little gizmo the other day for Falcon 4. It's a little app you can control most (if not all) the buttons, switches and controls in the cockpit from your pocket pc. It's not free, but a tenner-ish aint gonna break the bank. And it sure does beat having to fanny about changing views and pressing what you hope is the right button with the mouse.

Main site http://www.pocketmfp.com/panels.htm
And a vid of it in action http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cinCGMAb4wM

(not got it myself, too busy playing with the lovelyness that is X-Plane)
Speaking of KA-50, Indeed, the russian version is already out.
I have it installed and I must say I'm really confused. It IS very hard. In realistic mode, I spent 30 half an hour trying start the engines at least - failed. After watching the tutorial, managed to get some sound of it working and then something broke down The amount of switches in the cocpit is rediciluos, it really needs some learning to control that thing. The copter is very unstable and is really hard to keep in the air, let alone manuever and fight.

So, for those flight hardcore lovers, it's a must definetly
Using this thread as a general flight sim topic, I remembered Rise Of Flight the other day and had another look at their website. It's a WW1 flying game in a similar theme as Microprose's Knights Of The Sky (if anyone rememebers that?). I was really impressed with their damage model:

Yes, Rise of Flight looks very promising indeed. Their developers are very open, too, giving detailed blogs about what's going on. Recently there was even a video presentation of the guys working there and what they were doing. There's a lot of people in the sim community who hope to use this to shorten the wait for Storm of War: Battle of Britain.
Wow, that looks really nice. I used to play Knights Of The Sky on the Amiga. I'd love a modern day PC WW1 simulator.

The 'LFS of flight sims' has a release date
(159 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG