The online racing simulator
Car with automatic gearbox and details
Hello racers. I see there is few threads about automatic gearbox but I think it´s better to tell fully about my idea!

so. How about new car with automatic gearbox? So there is no manual gearbox at all. (Only D and L and reverse would be fine)

The Idea about racing with this system is that you can´t drift well if using handbrake (P is that in auto gearbox) or using it while racing because that´s will damage your car , as like in real life.

Automatic gearbox have no clutch of course so you don´t need to worry about braking the clutch.

Multitronic gearbox is quite interesting too.

I know there is already setted which gearbox type you use... But... What mind you are?

Suggestions please
Has been suggested before and I agree that the automatic gearbox should be a proper one. But not to be restricted to a certain car, but for every car if automatic transmission is ticked in the options. Except those cars which won't have one, like the single seaters.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Has been suggested before

oh...my bad but didn´t saw that anywhere, only general talk about gearboxes
Well, reposting of a good idea is less frowed upon than demanding tuning etc., so no worries
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :oh...my bad but didn´t saw that anywhere, only general talk about gearboxes

i would like the auto gearbox to be a REAL one.. which has a slip clutch or whatever it is the real ones use :P i mean, so when u step on the throttle the revs go up and stay there as long as u acc... also there should be a kickdown feature...

soo.. +100 from me
Quote from Feffe85 :i mean, so when u step on the throttle the revs go up and stay there as long as u acc

That's a CVT...
I find a few of the points interesting. I do see a need for auto's in LFS, but I for one, would stay away from them. I'm trying to find a standard to replace my current auto IRL.

I can tell you though, that drifting would still be possible. A lot harder, but still possible. My car at least, has a foot pedal to press down for the E break. I tried this while following a friend of mine who slid his car on the snow ahead of me. I was able to do the same and even keep accelerating with it because my car is front wheel drive.

I would like to see what others think about the option to select gears with the auto. I have been going on with thinking it's a semi-automatic tranny, but not sure exactly. I have the option to hold my car in gears 1 through 3, and have over drive take care of the last 2 gears. I have used it many times to control downhill speed without breaks, and to hold it at a better RPM for getting ready to accelerate.

Meh, just my 2 cents.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :
The Idea about racing with this system is that you can´t drift well if using handbrake (P is that in auto gearbox)
Suggestions please

Umm, most of the automatics I have seen do have a handbrake which isn't park...
IM glad someone suggested CVT, i think that would be a nice addition imo.
Please dont take this as me bashing your thoughts, personally I dislike auto's intensley, and CVT's are even worse, no fun, but hey if they do decide to make1 thats ok, just my opinion, no offence
CVTs are pretty bad for automobiles. They really are not any more efficient. The only use that a CVT is good for is AC generators. Normally, an engine connected to an AC generator has to run at a constant set RPM. But with a CVT the engine can idle at low load and maintain the same RPM at the generator. And at high load it can run at higher RPM while the generator stays at the same speed. But for cars it's useless.
There is torque loss with cvt/auto (due to slip factor), engine braking is weaker, fuel consumption is worst...well... apart for people with handicap, could someone tell us what's the benefit when you can use your legs & feet as a normal person do?

Please dont tell its easier to drive in traffic jam, there's none on a race track...
CVTs potentially allow the engine to be optimised for just a very narrow portion of the torque curve. This would normally make the car crap to drive, if the torque curve is all lumpy, but a CVT could get around this. If the efficiency in the portion of the torque curve that gets used was sufficiently improved, there could be economy/emmisions benefits.

Also, due to the torque mutliplication effect of a torque converter at large slip, they will be faster off the line than a clutch based gearbox, given equal gear ratios (although generally 1st gears are taller on torque converter autos because of this, so you tend not to notice).
*sees thread title*

"Please don't be American, please don't be American, please don't be American..."

*peeks*

"Finnish!?"

Why not make a hybrid car which has two CVT transmissions in it? One CVT would be connected to an electric motor/generator and driveshaft, the other CVT would be connected to the engine and the driveshaft.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Why not make a hybrid car.

No.

Don't mention hybrid and car in same sentence, if you're not talking about turbos.

+Why to have automatic gearbox in LFS? Automatic gearbox is slower and way more stupid than using proper manual.
Quote from 1303s_vortech :There is torque loss with cvt/auto (due to slip factor), engine braking is weaker, fuel consumption is worst...well... apart for people with handicap, could someone tell us what's the benefit when you can use your legs & feet as a normal person do?

Please dont tell its easier to drive in traffic jam, there's none on a race track...

More variety of possibilities, and its realistic, so no need to question the sense of that.
Hybrids, autos, trucks.. hey I have an idea. What about race cars
Quote from BigPeBe :No.

Don't mention hybrid and car in same sentence, if you're not talking about turbos.

I don't mean in LFS, I mean in real life.
u put robot so u can watch the race,is the same...and u can go in options to have a automatic,BUT go and try to make a hot lap with automatic....omg what the dummb ass question...u cant change the gear when u want..and there is no man who is racing with automatic in the real world racing...everybody is going to laught at u m8..
M8 for what are racing simulators , to have an automatic gearbox , its stupid , sequential or manual thats racing , the pilot makes the decision of changing cogs not some stupid electronic making the decision.
Quote from mitza4rally :the pilot makes the decision of changing cogs not some stupid electronic making the decision.

So, you are saying that Formula 1 is not racing?
Quote from wheel4hummer :That's a CVT...

huh? no it´s not.. in a REAL auto car, when u step on the throttle it will go to, lets say 5k, then stay at almost the same place even tho it changes gear... everyone that has driven or been driven in a auto trans car must know what im talking about.. i know my explanation aint that good, but i can assure u, im not talking about a freaking CVT :P that a completely diff thing..

Quote from BigPeBe :+Why to have automatic gearbox in LFS? Automatic gearbox is slower and way more stupid than using proper manual.

if u take ur drivers test using a auto boxed car, u wont be allowed to drive stick. and i dont think ur allowed to race with a manual car either if ur not even allowed to drive stick on the road.. if u get my point?
Quote from Feffe85 :huh? no it´s not.. in a REAL auto car, when u step on the throttle it will go to, lets say 5k, then stay at almost the same place even tho it changes gear...

Maybe a transmission without a lockup clutch, and a high stall torque converter?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG