The online racing simulator
Quote from wheel4hummer :Maybe a transmission without a lockup clutch, and a high stall torque converter?

wth? has ANYONE in here driven a auto IRL? then pls tell me how YOU would explain it here, so that everyone knows what type of gearbox u mean.. i did my best and actualy NO ONE understood what i meant :S
Quote from Feffe85 :if u take ur drivers test using a auto boxed car, u wont be allowed to drive stick. and i dont think ur allowed to race with a manual car either if ur not even allowed to drive stick on the road.. if u get my point?

When I got to the driving school, anyone even didn't tell me I would have a choice to learn with automatic gearbox, I think in Finland it is only possible if you are somehow disabled and it prevents you from using manual.

I get your point, but a typical driver who never drives with manual, is probably not going to ever even consider about racing.

Automatic just isn't for racing.
Quote from Feffe85 :wth? has ANYONE in here driven a auto IRL? then pls tell me how YOU would explain it here, so that everyone knows what type of gearbox u mean.. i did my best and actualy NO ONE understood what i meant :S

I drive an automatic transmission car. It doesn't act like that.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Has been suggested before and I agree that the automatic gearbox should be a proper one. But not to be restricted to a certain car, but for every car if automatic transmission is ticked in the options. Except those cars which won't have one, like the single seaters.

i like the idea posted in red xD

that would be cool
Quote from BigPeBe :When I got to the driving school, anyone even didn't tell me I would have a choice to learn with automatic gearbox, I think in Finland it is only possible if you are somehow disabled and it prevents you from using manual.

I think I did have the choice, and I'm not disabled (no, really ). The downside is that a license obtained with an auto box would only allow you to drive cars with, you guessed it, auto boxes
Quote from NotAnIllusion :I think I did have the choice, and I'm not disabled (no, really ). The downside is that a license obtained with an auto box would only allow you to drive cars with, you guessed it, auto boxes

thats what i said.. :P

and also, can someone please explain how a autogearbox behave? as nobody wanted to understand my explanation... as i want the LFs autogearbox to be as a REAL ONE.. not an automatic which changes gear like i do myself :S

and for what i know, an autobox doesn't drop as much in rpm per shift as a manual, if u have it pinned down in kickdown mode..
Quote from Feffe85 :thats what i said.. :P

and also, can someone please explain how a autogearbox behave?

Depends what you mean by auto. Mechanically, or electronically controlled? With planetary gears or parallel axis type?
Quote from Feffe85 :huh? no it´s not.. in a REAL auto car, when u step on the throttle it will go to, lets say 5k, then stay at almost the same place even tho it changes gear... everyone that has driven or been driven in a auto trans car must know what im talking about.. i know my explanation aint that good, but i can assure u, im not talking about a freaking CVT :P that a completely diff thing..

if u take ur drivers test using a auto boxed car, u wont be allowed to drive stick. and i dont think ur allowed to race with a manual car either if ur not even allowed to drive stick on the road.. if u get my point?

Sorry boet I have to disagree with you, it doen't go up to what ever rpm and just stay there even though its changed gear, I have driven in a couple of auto's and even had one given 2 me, they certainly dont do that, a CVT(continually variable transmission) does
Whatever dudes. I don´t care. If they Put Scirocco in LFS which have ESP, have race cars got ESP? oh it´s a ROAD CAR, so why not Road Car can have automatic gearbox?

- Because it´s not racing

So is it ESP racing? I think its not.

But LFS is simulator, not just a game...

...and...well I don´t try to tell anything anymore.

Please lock this thread.

EDIT: Is it cruise servers about racing?
I mean, I don't see how you can possibly justify any suggestion. It's the dev's game they can do whatever the heck they want with it. If you made LFS then you could add automatic transmissions. Who knows how LFS is coded? Who knows how complicated it is to simulate an automatic transmission? The devs do, but none of us (or at least very few) do.
I prefer the auto the way it is. I don't have to worry about shifting up (upshifting annoys me) and I can press a button to kick down whenever I want.

But saying an auto trans has no place in LFS isn't fair. I drive an auto in RL that I use for the tight, twisty roads in the mountains and for autocross events. I would hate to be bothered with manual shifting at times like those. I have driven a manual in the same situation and it didn't suit me to be steering, braking, clutching and shifting on such tight turns.
An automatic transmission is horrible for spirited driving on a twisty road. You have to modulate the throttle so that the transmission doesn't kick down when you're exiting a corner. Otherwise if it downshifts while you're still turning it really upsets the balance of the car. Especially my car, since I have horrid Pirelli P4 tires in front and decent but really old and probably soon to rot Michelins in the rear.
Now all we need is Logitech to make us a 900 degree wheel with 2 pedals a PRNDL and a handbrake. I think this isnt needed, ONLY if you cruise ONLY.
Quote from flymike91 :I drive an auto in RL that I use for the tight, twisty roads in the mountains and for autocross events. I would hate to be bothered with manual shifting at times like those. I have driven a manual in the same situation and it didn't suit me to be steering, braking, clutching and shifting on such tight turns.

Quite a pain to read that.

sorry
it was? sorry.

Hummer I don't have problems with kick-down in my car. It is only a 3-speed so on tight corners It has usually already shifted into second where it will stay until I accelerate out of the turn. With a 6-speed maybe that would be more of an issue but I thought the job of the torque converter was to prevent the wheels from slipping during a downshift?
Quote from flymike91 :I thought the job of the torque converter was to prevent the wheels from slipping during a downshift?

Nope. The torque converter is there to allow the engine to turn while the transmission is not rotating. That way you don't need a clutch to disconnect the engine from the transmission.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Whatever dudes. I don´t care. If they Put Scirocco in LFS which have ESP, have race cars got ESP? oh it´s a ROAD CAR, so why not Road Car can have automatic gearbox?

- Because it´s not racing

So is it ESP racing? I think its not.

But LFS is simulator, not just a game...

...and...well I don´t try to tell anything anymore.

Please lock this thread.

EDIT: Is it cruise servers about racing?

LFS already has an automatic transmission. If you dont like it, go buy a real car with an automatic transmission and play with that. If the devs wasted their time with something this dumb.. i'd be pretty disappointed.
Quote from teedot :LFS already has an automatic transmission. If you dont like it, go buy a real car with an automatic transmission and play with that. If the devs wasted their time with something this dumb.. i'd be pretty disappointed.

You didn´t understand about what´s the point.

I didn´t meant about automatic transmission, the point is the car with autogearbox (so there is no manual gearbox at all) and it´s not dumb in my opinion. If LFS is online racing simulator, then it´s good to suggest about this one...

Because somebodys uses automatic transmission while playing, It would be good to make this one. And even I know lot of people of racing who loves automatic transmission - in a civil traffic of course.

And if there is cruising servers, why not a car with autogearbox?

And one more thing, I am not telling about this anymore:

This is only suggestion and idea is by me. LFS is not my developed game, but if there is a chance to suggest any ideas to improve LFS, then I use that chance. It´s not illegal right?

You can be any opinion about me. You can deride me or just a s** of b**ch but I Will make thousands of suggestion until it´s illegal...

...and they are only ideas. As I told you, it is not my game but I want to make just better in everything about LFS - more or less

Maybe the suggestions are not good but it´s much more better than nothing. I ask, you answer - no problem

(This information in red color goes to that guy who said like I am trying to steal this game )
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :And if there is cruising servers, why not a car with autogearbox

Just because there's one daft thing in LFS such as cruisng servers doesn't mean that LFS has to incorporate other daft things. There are cruising servers, why not add a nawzzz button? There are cruising servers, why not add super l33t b0dy k!tz?

Quote from UnknownMaster21 :This is only suggestion and idea is by me. LFS is not my developed game, but if there is a chance to suggest any ideas to improve LFS, then I use that chance. It´s not illegal right?

Nope. It's illegal. Hide! The thought police are at your door now!
Quote from wheel4hummer :Just because there's one daft thing in LFS such as cruisng servers doesn't mean that LFS has to incorporate other daft things. There are cruising servers, why not add a nawzzz button? There are cruising servers, why not add super l33t b0dy k!tz?

LFS is not about tuning game...
Quote from wheel4hummer :CVTs are pretty bad for automobiles. They really are not any more efficient. The only use that a CVT is good for is AC generators. Normally, an engine connected to an AC generator has to run at a constant set RPM. But with a CVT the engine can idle at low load and maintain the same RPM at the generator. And at high load it can run at higher RPM while the generator stays at the same speed. But for cars it's useless.

CVT gearbox in the 1.6 TDCI Focus is very good..
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :And if there is cruising servers, why not a car with autogearbox?

E.g. because the cruise setting simply removes the Wrong way message and does little else, while you are suggesting adding something

I've nothing against autos but there's a boatload of other things which could be added to LFS and would be more interesting than those. Ultimately neither me nor you are deciding what will be added to the game, so once you have made your suggestion, the rest is just freewheeling
So what you guys are saying is that automatic gearbox should not even be an option in LFS.? What about people that are disabled that like to race in LFS, but can ONLY do that by using auto gearbox? Do you mean that if people with a disability can't use a manual shift, then we shouldn't be trying to race in LFS? If that's so, then there are probably more people than you think that will not be able to race in LFS anymore if auto gearbox is disabled, or limited to 1 or 2 cars. Effectively, it means that they paid for something that they will no longer be able to use. Is that your GRAND plan???

Sorry for the rant. Reading this thread struck a nerve.
Who said that?

This thread is specifically about simulating automatic transmissions (=new feature), I can think of no valid reason for removing the auto option.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG