The online racing simulator
I had the bind "Stick up" and "Stick down" to my DFP paddles also to get the gears.

Dan,
Quote from danowat :Is anyone getting there laptimes "saved"?, mine arent showing after a session for some reason.

Dan,

My online laptimes aren't saved in my personal bests, but my 'track day' ones are.

Quote from deggis :The multiplayer side is really starting to be... not PRO but POO.

This is just so unbelievable how unfinished everything in this seems and feels to be. Until the release I thought this will have a very "professional touch" in it but now I'm starting to feel like Kunos is completely from different planet in coding-wise (than Scawen ).

Managed to finally connect to a server - not exactly sure of the magic reason why this one worked but it was one that was just in practice rather than race or qualifying. Anyway, it was very, very very shit. The FPS was way below offline and was much more jerky, even when there was only one or two cars onscreen. The ping of the other cars ranged from a 'jumpy' 140-200 to a timewarping 1000+.

Offline it's much smoother, with only certain sections of track dipping into the 50 fps region (running at 1920x1200) but online it's regularly running down into the low 30 fps region. Just to check, I lowered the resolution (1280x800) but the frame rates were the same, so is it just the code? So far, I don't think LFS has anything to worry about from nKP on the online racing front.

I don't think I'll be away from LFS for too long, unless there's a pretty serious patch for nKP sometime soon.....

Anyway, I'm 4 hours past my bedtime and I need to go to work in 4 hours
the graphics are pretty good with my x800 xl running the game at 1280x1024 with some AA and AF it looks as good as the screenshots. i only have the demo so i dont know how the game performs with many cars on the track.

I just want to see how this developes further i just got finnished watching 5th gear and i'd really like to try the ferrari 430 in a nK or any sportscar in nK Pro.
It does look nice, it does drive nice, no doubt about it, I love all these "It's crap posts", its NOT crap, its new, its unfinished, its unpolished, its NOT crap.

Well, ok, the sounds are crap..........., anyone found the second sound engine that was promised?

Dan,
lol does anything ever live up to the hype?
the sound ain't crap but probably the engine itself is??

It sounds quite throaty and dry, which seem quite solid and convincing, it just doesn't sound nice.
No, not really, but it was never (I dont think) hyped by the makers, its the community at large that whips up a frenzy before release, then kicks off post release, happens everytime.....

Dan,
Quote from Gabkicks :lol does anything ever live up to the hype?

Valentino Rossi?
Quote from JJ72 :the sound ain't crap but probably the engine itself is??

It sounds quite throaty and dry, which seem quite solid and convincing, it just doesn't sound nice.

Sound engine, sound, whatever it is, it sounds like a demented bee farting in a drainpipe....

It DOESNT sound ANYTHING like a Formula Ford and anything else for that matter...

Dan,
Anyone got any ideas to why mine crashes when trying to load it all up?
Quote from Si_Si :Anyone got any ideas to why mine crashes when trying to load it all up?

installed .NET 2.0 Framework?

Quote from danowat :Well, ok, the sounds are crap..........., anyone found the second sound engine that was promised?

It even reads on the official page on the features list... obviously it isn't in the game. Neither are the 4 different clutch modes that was AFAIK promised. Just reflects how unfinished this is.
Yeh i installed it. It still crashed so repaired it. Still dont work
Looks like some people will start loving statements like

"It's done when it's done."

from more serious developers who name their baby alpha 0.5 Q. And although omitting the suffix "pro" the quality of their work is indeed PROFESSIONAL.
Quote from schofei :
from more serious developers who name their baby alpha 0.5 Q. And although omitting the suffix "pro" the quality of their work is indeed PROFESSIONAL.

Looks like it intergrates with MSN too, I am seeing lots of people on MSN "playing" LOL

Dan,
My quick review.

Installation:
Nothing special here, a normal 7-Zip extractable .exe file, took about 5 mins to unpack.

Setting up player & controls:
Since I have tried the original Netkar, this was pretty straight forward for me. It certainly isn't user friendly to set up the controls but it gets the job done with a bit wondering and trying out.

Activation:
Worked like a charm for me. Entered the given account details and BANG, green LICENSED light right up.

First time on the track:
Started in a F1600 at first, clicked around anything I could find and managed to start the car rather quickly. Managed to drive a few corners until I noticed the sound was waaaay too loud. So I dropped the master volume down to about 25%, pressed ok, back to the track again and it was STILL as loud as before. Obviously there's some problems with saving sound settings? After turning windows master volume down I found it to be OK.

Physics:
Very very very good. LFS and Netkar have always been the only games where I can actually feel the car on the steering wheel. Needless to say, this easily tops out any ISI based trash that is out there. Nkpro doesn't feel canned in any way, which means I have lots of faith in this sim.

Scazzato:
At first, I thought it was pretty bad. The engine sounds cracky and popcorn like, but the dynamic feeling is there (notable difference in pitch at different throttle). I think LFS does this a lot better, but it's better than any sampled engine out there, that's for sure.

Graphics:
I think it looks ok. Not too flashy or Hollywood'ish which is good. The game looks a bit worse in replays to be honest, but I don't really care what it looks like. First I was driving around in the medium settings and eventually I turned the graphics to max and it was still running very well (30-40fps range) on my relatively old PC. The track and the tires (when new) are too shiny tho, gives a too plastic look to me, but this is personal preference I guess.

Multiplayer:
Here I was deeply dissapointed. I did a few races in singleplayer (trackday) and everything had seemed fine so far. Then I decided to try a quick multiplayer session with a friend. We started trying out servers in random but for 15 minutes all we got was errors like "not responding", "wrong password" or *SYNC TIME* or god knows what. WHY in the hell don't the multiplayer lobby tell you which server is passworded or not? First you have to join a damn server to find that out! Horrible. Well after one lucky try we managed to get in to one empty server and do a bit driving.

Multiplayer racing:
I was leading a half a lap until I spun (:P) and then I was following my friend a bit. His car was warping and lagging quite a bit, it could have been the server but I doubt it since there was only two of us there and the pings were relatively low at the time.

Bugs and problems:
As I already stated, the master volume slider has no effect. Also after playing some time my FFB went all apeshizzle. It started feeling like it was on 200%, first I thought it could just be my tires and I replaced them, no hope, still my wheel wanted to rip my arms clean off my shoulders. Then I went in to the FFB settings and dropped the slider down to ~50%, pressed ok, went in to game, still way too strong. Went back to check the settings and they weren't saved! Serious problems there. Finally sorted this out by changing the Wingman profiler FFB setting.

Conclusion:
I believe some people were expecting this to be a LFS killer at the first release, well I'm "sad" to say that it isn't that quite yet. The physics are very good (but still need tweaking). Sounds.. sound bad but they work. Multiplayer was pretty worthless to me but it can be fixed I hope. Graphics need some adjusting, the tires and the track are too shiny to my liking, looks a bit plastic sometimes.

All in all, the physics and the feeling are good and that is what matters for me. I think Netkar Pro has a really long road ahead of itself to become a refined and bug-free product, but damn, potential it has.
EXCELLENT post Matrixi, pretty much what I would write if I werent struggling to keep my eyes open at work........

That post pretty much sums up NKPro as it is at this point in time.

Dan,
-
(traxxion) DELETED by traxxion
Yeh there does seem to be a problem when trying to save sound adjustments, im trying to turn down that bloody annouying scraping sound as you deck out the car over the bumps, worst than being at the dentist..Lfs killer, not a chance..Lfs competion, well maybe further down the line, why is it, out of all the online sims, GTR/GTL/rF/nKP/ only one manages to get the online code and funtions working top notch, LFS of course
I agree with Matrixi. I just don't get why they released it with such crap MP seems worse than the joke of namie, maybe there's just a few bugs in the MP code that insufficent testing didn't find? Though it seems like there must have been a good degree of bullshitting about performance because offline I can run at about 30 fps with shadders (advertised 50+ on lower spec PC) and online it slows down to a crawl.

Are others finding the front end is less stable than namie? I also find it a lot less friendly than the namie one (which was easy to navigate although sometimes a bit long winded). Hopefully a GEM+ style front end could be released by a third party?
Quote from Victor :i guess 1:42 is not so fast with that car

Uh! I'm having problems with what I should make of your post. So you obviously did a photoshop and edited my name into there?
Also I have no idea which times I did in my replay since there is not hud whatsoever...

Hm, create a user w/ ur name & flag, drive that car around the track in that time and in the replay press F4 to show that HUD

You drove a 1:42.xx in the F1600
But its a F2000 in the pic
Lol I'm saying it was Vic who drove a 1:42 as biggie with the F2k.. and biggie drove a 1:42 in the F1600

or Vic photoshopped the HUD on to the F2k pic. Either way
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Lol I'm saying it was Vic who drove a 1:42 as biggie with the F2k.. and biggie drove a 1:42 in the F1600

or Vic photoshopped the HUD on to the F2k pic. Either way

... *zzzzssssshh* TOO MUCH.... INPUT..... MUST TERMINATE.... PROGRAM *zsssh*

/me fuses and crashes

Anyway, I wouldn't have thought Vic was capable of doing those things. There's a lot of criminal energy involved in this I have to say :P

LFS Community gives nKPro a go?
(777 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG