The online racing simulator

Poll : Your thoughts on LFS

LFS will get content/major update within the next year
LFS will eventually die off
LFS will go along as it has with no change in the next year
LFS is made of candy and other sugary goodnesses...
LFS will stay as is until the next so called 'LFS killer'
Quote from Zen321 :Maybe it has never changed, but why shouldn't it ? If you read carefully my post about the lifespan of a firm/product, you'll see that change isn't only beneficial, it is mandatory for the healthy life of a firm/product. LFS gets changes pretty often and this results with a boost of subscriptions that day. However, if the change was made about the team (like an increase in number), this would work as an investment : Scavier might sacrifice a bit of its quality of work environment, but on the other hand, LFS would develop faster and Scavier will acheive faster their goals and their dream to make LFS the best racing simulator ever.

Could you please don't misquote me? I never said the text in your quote.

I said the fact that the devs don't publish regular progress reports will probably never change.
Dead
Everyday when i type www.lfsforum.net to the browser, i hope that i will see the test patch forum under lfs programmer forum. But nothing new for about half year now.
Would be nice to hear about something happening behind the scenes but at the moment I have a ps3 and fallout3 to keep me content until there is anything new.
Quote from Nadeo4441 :Everyday when i type www.lfsforum.net to the browser, i hope that i will see the test patch forum under lfs programmer forum. But nothing new for about half year now.

Just enjoy the game, and take it day by day. When something is ready, it'll be here. No point rushing to get substandard work out early. I'd rather wait and get good quality, bug free stuff
I seem to remember getting a progress update, they mentioned something about a car I think. My memory is bad, it was ages ago, at least a few weeks.
The more I think about the LFS business model, and the more it looks to me like it doesn't make too much sense to give out a lot of new content when the financial payoff isn't all that high.

Maybe the scavier guys already have a number of unreleased cars and tracks waiting to see the light, and more under development?

S2 might be possibly just traveling through one of those sidetracks, with incremental updates and some bonus new content (e.g. FBM and BF1) trickling down so people don't think it's dead. When the engine reaches a point that they are satisfied with, they will bump the version number and release S3, along with the bunch of new stuff.

It may sound like wishful thinking but fact is, I'm a newcomer to LFS and pretty much anything is new to me, what I really want is engine upgrades to make it more life like (physics and FFB improvements most importantly).

So those were my 2 €cents
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I seem to remember getting a progress update, they mentioned something about a car I think. My memory is bad, it was ages ago, at least a few weeks.

Hahah, more than a few weeks mater. Try a couple of months.

It doesn't help that the thread discussing it was closed, if you remember it got to "quite alot of posts" in a very short time.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :It doesn't help that the thread discussing it was closed, if you remember it got to "quite alot of posts" in a very short time.

And that right there is the most likely reason we don't see more progress reports
Not good news
Like so many here... loved the game, but the writing is on the wall. I've been following the scene and playing the game since its inception. LFS has only held it's niche, due to lack of better alternatives. While no other game (IMHO) beats LFS in all areas, there are many that do a lot better at individual facets and it will only be a matter of time where we see an LFS killer.

If we've learnt anything over the history of the LFS, it's the correlation between dev's reports and the significance of the update. Sadly this is a case of "No news, is bad news".

Given the major release cycles are around 2 years, even a massive update is unlikely to carry enough community momentum to see the light of S3.

The community has already seen the bulk of prominent long time LFS advocates leave for the lack of progress /declining interests and if it wasn't for these kinds of threads or the plethora of feature requests from noobs, it would be almost dead quiet on these forums.

I hope the dev's see that LFS is running on the smell of an oily rag and something has to change now, be it their approach to community engagement, expanding developer numbers or opening LFS up to third party content.
Quote from Macfox :if it wasn't for these kinds of threads or the plethora of feature requests from noobs, it would be almost dead quiet on these forums.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the general forum activity, tbh. You may not like the quality and content of the posts but to say that the forum is almost dead is a big exaggeration.
With summer being gone, dark and rainy days coming up to stay for quite a while I started to re-discover LFS just last week.
To spice things up I bought a new G25 - back on track.

I like LFS the way it is - perfect for occasional racing and a semi-professional career alike.
And I do like the approach to not focus on shiny bling bling nfs-style graphics, real cars or real race tracks and to put everything into racing.
As soon as you start implementing things like real cars you will have tons of car forum-powered experts claiming:

"Ouch - major ****up - the ´98 911 steering wheel was covered with hand crafted crocodile leather instead of penguin feathers like you did it..."

Conversation is a nice thing.
Smart people are nice too.
But once you started it you will inevitably get away from racing more and more and your racing sim would have to turn into a 100% accurate car database with GoogleEarth based, freely roamable racing tracks / cities - duh - and shopping centres of course, where people would by hats, sunglasses and helmets with their nicknames on it...

As much as I´d love to take a LFS-powered C06 to a LFS-rendered Nordschleife, that´s not gonna happen.
And left with the choice between a fully licensed FIA racing game with a so-so driving experience or a LFS as it is today - well, we all made that decision long time ago, right.
So I could happily forego w/o a real "Scirocco", I bet it eats lots of resources and manpower and hope VW did support the development somehow.

Punkt.
Quote from zeugnimod :Could you please don't misquote me? I never said the text in your quote.

I said the fact that the devs don't publish regular progress reports will probably never change.

My bad zeugnimod, I think I have mistaken you for another guy. I will edit my previous post right away
Not good news
Quote from zeugnimod :I don't think there's anything wrong with the general forum activity, tbh. You may not like the quality and content of the posts but to say that the forum is almost dead is a big exaggeration.

Compared to RSC days, it's very stagnant. Community engagement is non-existent and the future of LFS development is foggy at best. As such, there's very little positives that can be drawn from this situation. All indicators (participation, new players, and releases) are certainly at record lows.

I guess it all depends on individual perspective and how long you've been following LFS, but as a long time player/observer, it's very disappointing.
Quote from madmat28 :
So I could happily forego w/o a real "Scirocco", I bet it eats lots of resources and manpower and hope VW did support the development somehow.

Punkt.

Sssse Scirocco in yoah gehm will etttrrrect eh lottt of new cusssstummaz... sssset's enough suppoat frumm owa side.

... or they paid scavier so much they don't even have to care about LFS and customers anymore.
Quote from Macfox : ~snip~

I guess observer really hits the nail right on the head.
Quote from 510N3D :I guess observer really hits the nail right on the head.

I've been around for a while (lurking since early 2004), and I agree.
Hello!

My Answer is:
LFS will get content/major update within the next year.

A Couple of month´s ago,i was Really Pissed of from LFS.

No Statement from the Devs what´s up with the Development Status,why nothing new things come.

Then the VW Deal was Announced,and i understand why the Devs Doing all
to finish that First.

But i Wish the Devs Announce things like that Sooner,(that everybody understand why LFS "Stand Still")not a few Weeks bevore everybody see the Scirocco on the GC,and it Comes out why the Dev´s release nothing for Community.

I Think everybody would understand that this deal with VW was important,
but nothing to say whats up is shit,i think.

Today i Play not often Online,but i like Hotlapping,like my First day .

i Hope you guys can Decode my English :hidesbehi

Ok here are just a few questions i’d like to ask into the “complainers” direction.
  • When did you joined LFS? (demo, forum, licenced right away, it doesnt matter)
  • When exactly did you got bored and perhaps, why in particulary?
[Examples]
  • Do you think that your motivation went away because you've used the game quite excessively or maybe even for the exact opposite reason?
  • Or do you think that it never really was your thing after all, no matter what kind of variation you’ve tried?
  • Was perhaps the lack or even the superior number of good competition the reason?
  • Have you tried a lot of variations the game offers or where you basically just doing one thing? (hotlapping, curcuit track/ rally racing, oval racing, cruising, drifting or drag racing et cetera (in no particular order )
[/Examples]
  • Do you think that any significantly changes will bring you back to LFS or even bring back the joy from how it was at the beginning?
  • In addition to the previous one, do you think that it could be possible or must a requirement to reach a certain stage with LFS once again so that you can enjoy it just like in the beginning?
  • Do you have still faith in the project and ScaViEr, or do you just follow and believe into yours and/ or others assumptions?
  • Are these question of any help in any way, perhaps to bring more transparency into your personal situation and maybe even this particual problem?
You dont need to answer those questions here. But if you do, please be honest and try to stay objectively.

Personally, i have my ups and downs as well. But thats how it goes with everything in life and no moaning is going to change that, usually.

Whats wrong with giving a game time to grow and see how it evolves over the years? Whats wrong with the idea and concept of ScaViEr to take a path far beyond from where and for what everyone else is heading to/ for?

Maybe im wrong and exaggerate it, making this sim/ game bigger then it actually is or supposed to be and maybe its all true and ScaViEr gave up on it after all. But at least i can say that i've made use of this product in many ways, for a comparably really long time and as much as i could and wanted to, resulting in a lot of enjoyment, great races & companies and long lasting friendships.

Regarding to that, there is so much more then just LFS and after reading this and many other simular threads im under the impression that some people really aint got anywhere else to go
Victor Vaarvlardigan ?

Good interview
Quote from Gills4life :Victor Vaarvlardigan ?

Good interview

'mericans... They have problems with names other than Smith or Doe...
Quote from Macfox :The community has already seen the bulk of prominent long time LFS advocates leave for the lack of progress /declining interests

In LFS, as in life, people come and go. Older, wiser people die off but they are inevitably replaced by younger, more stupid people. While it's true that very few die-hards are out racing the RWD road cars now, there are lots of people driving them extremely slowly in cruise servers whilst spamming "I R TEH COP PUL OVAR U GOT BADL TIRE"

The forums are as busy as ever, lots of new posts each day, it's just they contain fewer words now, and those words are lifted verbatim from 4chan memes from five years ago, and they're often incorrectly spelt.

LFS is alive and, well...
Quote from 510N3D :I guess observer really hits the nail right on the head.

This time, I am agreeing with you.

LFS' current state and you!!11!
(298 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG