The online racing simulator
Twincharging.
(131 posts, started )
Quote from wheel4hummer :Well, you haven't even said what boost level it would be running. For a two liter engine, I'd guess 1 bar of boost to make about 240HP or so. That is just a very rough estimate though.

ok, don't know what boost. Too much boost can just make your wheels spin though, cant it? A realistic boost figure. Also how would you get a FWD car to deliver the power. Good wheels? and would the chassis need some work.
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :If you had to guess that doesn't sound too far off. I have a 2.4 that runs 1 bar of boost and makes between 230-240.

I agree nobody needs more than 125HP for a street car, but where's the fun in that? =)

125bhp is fun for old people lol.
#53 - Osco
FWD and power delivery should not be mentioned in one sentence
Quote from Osco :FWD and power delivery should not be mentioned in one sentence

Lol, if I had a FWD car and wanted to tune it, I would most likely convert it to RWD or 4WD. How hard would it be to change a car to RWD. Wouldn't you have to change the propshaft, put a diff on the back. What else would you have to change? Gearbox?
someone needs to get tristan into his normal mood... i still cant understand how he could post in here without ripping him a new one especially when hes asking for it as much
Quote from Shotglass :someone needs to get tristan into his normal mood... i still cant understand how he could post in here without ripping him a new one especially when hes asking for it as much

Why, I am asking questions about how to do things. I am wondering how you would do certain things. Like how to get power down in a FWD which would most likely be difficult to drive with too much power, how to convert a car into FWD and how twincharging works. If I am asking questions in a mature way asking on how to do things why would I need to be ripped. I am wanting to get on with Tristan now and I want start an arguement with him now, I will take in with what people say who know what they are doing with cars and how they work.
Sam if you haven't figured out by now people usually expect snotty comments from core people on the forums when people ask questions that these people feel don't need to be asked...

To get power down on a FWD you need LSD, preferably one that never actually 'locks' like a type of unit Quaife makes for my car. You will then need solid motor mounts to take away the 'slap' that happens with stock mounts as the engine is rocked back into the mount on acceleration.
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :To get power down on a FWD you need LSD, preferably one that never actually 'locks' like a type of unit Quaife makes for my car. You will then need solid motor mounts to take away the 'slap' that happens with stock mounts as the engine is rocked back into the mount on acceleration.

I see. So would need better engine mounts, LSD. If I do tune a FWD, I will be getting a better suspension, better breaks. What else would you need to get better handling? Anti-roll bars, what else?
#59 - Osco
start with decent tires perhaps? :hide:
Goodyear Eagle F1's have a wide range of fitments, from small hatchbacks to the OE of the Ford GT.
Quote from Osco :start with decent tires perhaps? :hide:

I have already said that. It's the most obvious.
Good god man do some research. And I don't mean asking people in a forum. I mean research.

Then maybe you can come back and ask questions that actually have answers.
ahh so everyone has to be an expert to post questions, but then if they were an expert why would there need to be any questions?
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :Sam if you haven't figured out by now people usually expect snotty comments from core people on the forums when people ask questions that these people feel don't need to be asked...

no im talking about his complete nonunderstanding of either turbos or superchargers and that despite that he somehow seems to think hell be able to do something that id calculate no less than 15k for for less than 4k
or that he thinks converting a hatchback with a useless rear suspension to rwd will be in any way easy
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :ahh so everyone has to be an expert to post questions, but then if they were an expert why would there need to be any questions?

No, but how on earth can you stay so patient when you are asked 'How much HP can I get from a turboed 2L?'

Here's an answer - 0 - 800BHP. And the spec list would take too long to write out.
Quote from sam93 :So say I got a Z20LET (200bhp stock) and done either one of these two to it.

1. Smaller turbo and a bigger turbo. What would be the final amount of bhp achieved?

2. Supercharger and a turbo. Again, what would be the final amount of bhp achieved?

A blown headgasket.

If you take 2-liter 200bhp N/A engine and put turbo on it, it won't last. Compression ratio in that highly tuned N/A engine is just too much.

A very powerful, 2-liter turbo engine wont actually produce almost any bhp if you take the turbo off.

A good turbo engine and a good N/A engine are two completely different things.

If you ask us a question like "how much bhp I'll produce with 2-liter engine if I put a turbo in it" the answer is somewhere around 0-1000 bhp.

About FWD to RWD conversion, it is a horribly big job.

You would need to take the car apart and completely rework the shell, from enginemounts to suspensionmounts, make a Gearbox / Driving shaft tunnel etc.
Notice that in FWD cars usually the engine is diagonally positioned and in RWD it is longitudinally positioned.
New gearbox, driveshaft, rear diff, whole fooking rear suspension. Maybe even new different engine.
New front suspension.

etc. etc.
Quote from sam93 :Lol, if I had a FWD car and wanted to tune it, I would most likely convert it to RWD or 4WD. How hard would it be to change a car to RWD. Wouldn't you have to change the propshaft, put a diff on the back. What else would you have to change? Gearbox?

The easiest approach would be to build a spaceframe and keep the engine, now mounted longitudinally, as the only original component. Expect build costs in excess of £20000 before you begin on the engine if you want a neatly presented road car. Getting a turbo and supercharger to work properly will need a lot of investment and understanding, if you're asking on a forum about such basic aspects don't both considering it.

If you really have to do an engine conversion then at least choose something simple and well documented.
One thing I have to say is that I am 15, why would I have a good knowledge of how turbos/superchargers? As soon as I get a car I will start getting a understanding on how engines work.

A Z20LET is already turbo'd but obviously being a factory turbo it isn't going to be the best.

Quote :or that he thinks converting a hatchback with a useless rear suspension to rwd will be in any way easy

I like the way you said I would do this to a hatchback.

I am going to start researching, anyone know of any decent books. I think my best bet would be Google though.
Quote from sam93 :A Z20LET is already turbo'd but obviously being a factory turbo it isn't going to be the best.

Factory turbo is alot better then aftermarket turbocharging a vehicle. Aftermarket turbocharged vehicles have problems. Lots of them. At least, people who turbocharge the kind of car I drive end up saying that their car ends up on jackstands more often then not. I would try turbocharging my car, if I knew that my engine was running well. But there are several problems that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet. If your engine isn't in excellent shape, something will probably break if you modify it. Especially if that modification is forced induction.
#70 - Osco
Quote from ajp71 :The easiest approach would be to build a spaceframe and keep the engine, now mounted longitudinally, as the only original component. Expect build costs in excess of £20000 before you begin on the engine if you want a neatly presented road car. Getting a turbo and supercharger to work properly will need a lot of investment and understanding, if you're asking on a forum about such basic aspects don't both considering it.

If you really have to do an engine conversion then at least choose something simple and well documented.

and not even all engines in FWD applications adapt well to a RWD lay-out
If you want a RWD vehicle, just buy one that's already RWD.
W4H speaks the truth. Making a FWD vehicle RWD is quite complicated and can cost alot.
Quote from wheel4hummer :If you want a RWD vehicle, just buy one that's already RWD.

Very true lol. When I become old enough that insurance wont be so high I will buy a rx7 as I think they are really nice cars.
Quote from sam93 :One thing I have to say is that I am 15, why would I have a good knowledge of how turbos/superchargers?

No one is expecting you to know about them. It's called reading. There's a huge amount of useful information out there, how about you investigate it.

Sure asking people is another way of learning, but asking such broad questions as how much power will I get by adding a turbo (or 2 turbos :really is just pointless.

Also I'm pretty sure at 15 I never had that question come to mind, however by the time I was driving at 17 I was fully aware of what was required to get a reliable 250BHP from the 2L engine I was interested in. And I didn't ask any broad questions like that, I went to a forum that was actually related to the thing I was interested in, ie Ford engines, and read what the hundreds of people there who had already done it had to say. That's how to learn.

Twincharging.
(131 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG