The online racing simulator
Twincharging.
(131 posts, started )
I don't understand why you would want 2 turbos, just get 1 supercharger, have the engine bored out to 2.2 and over 450bhp all day long, happy days.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :I don't understand why you would want 2 turbos, just get 1 supercharger, have the engine bored out to 2.2 and over 450bhp all day long, happy days.

Just like that lol.

Quote :No one is expecting you to know about them. It's called reading. There's a huge amount of useful information out there, how about you investigate it.

Sure asking people is another way of learning, but asking such broad questions as how much power will I get by adding a turbo (or 2 turbos ) is just pointless.

Also I'm pretty sure at 15 I never had that question come to mind, however by the time I was driving at 17 I was fully aware of what was required to get a reliable 250BHP from the 2L engine I was interested in. And I didn't ask any broad questions like that, I went to a forum that was actually related to the thing I was interested in, ie Ford engines, and read what the hundreds of people there who had already done it had to say. That's how to learn.

Ok, I will start looking on websites about vauxhall engines as the Z20LET is a Vauxhall engine. Well a GM engine as they are owned by them.
Quote from sam93 :Just like that lol.

Yup, read my post, the engine in that car has had about £2000 worth of work on it, is running 450bhp and is reliable.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Yup, read my post, the engine in that car has had about £2000 worth of work on it, is running 450bhp and is reliable.

ok, fair enough.

Cheers pb3200
No problem man, I sound harsh in my earlier posts but there's a LOT to read up on that we can't answer here without previous knowledge of the engine really. (Other than generic tuning answers of course).

I'm sure as you already know that's a great engine, sadly you won't be able to insure a modified one until you're 21 or so, but still a couple years of building beforehand would be good.

That site is I believe the best site for Vauxhall tuning.
Quote from pb32000 :No problem man, I sound harsh in my earlier posts but there's a LOT to read up on that we can't answer here without previous knowledge of the engine really. (Other than generic tuning answers of course).

I'm sure as you already know that's a great engine, sadly you won't be able to insure a modified one until you're 21 or so, but still a couple years of building beforehand would be good.

Ok, cheers no problem. I never knew you had to be over 21 to insure a modified engine, good really that you have to so 17 year olds dont get their hands on a modified engine and kill themselves. I will read up on the engine. I was going to throw it into a corsa, would you say it is ok to do so? I was going to go for the C20LET but I thought it would be better to go for a newer engine, the Z20LET.
Quote from pb32000 :No problem man, I sound harsh in my earlier posts but there's a LOT to read up on that we can't answer here without previous knowledge of the engine really. (Other than generic tuning answers of course).

Is that like, an unwritten insurance rule, or that the no claims bit?

Either way, small mods like air intakes etc, most people don't bother telling their insurance company
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Either way, small mods like air intakes etc, most people don't bother telling their insurance company

But do the insurance companies pay out on accidents with such cars.

Shotglass - I want to. But if I said the things I wanted to say in this thread I'd be banned. Twice.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Is that like, an unwritten insurance rule, or that the no claims bit?

Either way, small mods like air intakes etc, most people don't bother telling their insurance company

Induction kits and such like are easy to remove though, I wouldn't think an insurance company would actually be fussed about something like a aftermarket air filter anyway.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Is that like, an unwritten insurance rule, or that the no claims bit?

Nah just really meant that any major mods are difficult to insure in the first few years. And by difficult I mean expensive lol.

I know what you mean about minor mods though, things like an aftermarket panel filter shouldn't cause a problem, but you have to remember the insurance company isn't looking to be nice to you, only to pay out if everything is in order.
Quote from sam93 :Induction kits and such like are easy to remove though, I wouldn't think an insurance company would actually be fussed about something like a aftermarket air filter anyway.

Air filters are free, so long as they are a direct replacement of a consumable part, after all for those who are hell bent on maximum performance not running an air filter won't invalidate your insurance. The induction system is a very important component of the engine and definitely is not free for undeclared modifications. What a lot of stupid idiots (who tend to like buying induction kits and big back boxes) don't seem to realise is that it is very difficult to convincingly refit a standard induction system to a smashed up car, made harder still when the car is impounded.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Yup, read my post, the engine in that car has had about £2000 worth of work on it, is running 450bhp and is reliable.

What bhp was the engine when stock. What other mods apart from a supercharger has been carried out on the engine.
Quote from ACCAkut :the easiest way to convert a FWD to RWD is either throwing in a complete drivetrain and engine from a RWD car or making it midengined by moving ... arbox package to the back

which if you do it properly will require a completely new rear suspension and a spaceframe to mount the suspension and the engine to... both of which will also require engineering if you dont want the car to end up being rubbish afterwards
by the time youre done youll have wasted enough time and money that buying a car that is good and rwd would be a much better option instead of a corsa which is neither

Quote from tristancliffe :Shotglass - I want to. But if I said the things I wanted to say in this thread I'd be banned. Twice.

it seems you can get away with telling people you wish they were dead so im sure youll survive... as long as youre not secretly canadian
Quote from sam93 :What bhp was the engine when stock. What other mods apart from a supercharger has been carried out on the engine.

Well a standard K20A is 200-220bhp with the supercharger just bolted on with bits of plumbing it was 320bhp, with a total engine rebuild, fancy pistons, linears, the works, some extra air scoops it was 450-500bhp.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Factory turbo is alot better then aftermarket turbocharging a vehicle. Aftermarket turbocharged vehicles have problems. Lots of them. At least, people who turbocharge the kind of car I drive end up saying that their car ends up on jackstands more often then not. I would try turbocharging my car, if I knew that my engine was running well. But there are several problems that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet. If your engine isn't in excellent shape, something will probably break if you modify it. Especially if that modification is forced induction.

Thats part of the fun of owning a performance car.
One thing though, as the Z20LET already is turbo'd, would it be best to keep that turbo and still have a supercharger on the car. I say this because the turbo obviously gives the engine some of its power and to keep that I would have to keep the turbo or get a better one wouldn't I?
Quote from sam93 :One thing though, as the Z20LET already is turbo'd, would it be best to keep that turbo and still have a supercharger on the car. I say this because the turbo obviously gives the engine some of its power and to keep that I would have to keep the turbo or get a better one wouldn't I?

What is the goal here? I'm not sure if there would be any real benefit to having a supercharger plus a turbocharger, combined with the fact that you'd have to properly match their outputs to get them to work properly.
Quote from JeffR :What is the goal here? I'm not sure if there would be any real benefit to having a supercharger plus a turbocharger, combined with the fact that you'd have to properly match their outputs to get them to work properly.

But, the Z20LET without the turbo wont be 200bhp though would it, so to keep it 200bhp I would need to keep the turbo on it, then put a supercharger on the engine to boost the hp from 200 upwards. Correct?
Quote from sam93 :But, the Z20LET without the turbo wont be 200bhp though would it, so to keep it 200bhp I would need to keep the turbo on it, then put a supercharger on the engine to boost the hp from 200 upwards. Correct?

You can't simply add up power figures for various bolt on components, it just doesn't work like that. Forget about multiple arrangements of turbos and superchargers, forget even about any kind of forced induction, read a book or go to somewhere like howstuffworks.com and learn the basic principle of a four stroke petrol engine. Then after you've learnt how an engine works (which will take you more than an afternoon to learn) then move on to reading about conventional single forced induction systems, by the time you understand all that you'll soon be able to answer all these questions.
Quote from ajp71 :You can't simply add up power figures for various bolt on components, it just doesn't work like that. Forget about multiple arrangements of turbos and superchargers, forget even about any kind of forced induction, read a book or go to somewhere like howstuffworks.com and learn the basic principle of a four stroke petrol engine. Then after you've learnt how an engine works (which will take you more than an afternoon to learn) then move on to reading about conventional single forced induction systems, by the time you understand all that you'll soon be able to answer all these questions.

Okay.
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Quote from speedway :concerning the rwd conversion part: its actually impressive how the most reasonable posts are ignored, to encounter this, ill just quote a really good one and highlight the most important part

there are people who study this shit for 5 years, then after another 5 years of experience they might even get there hands on developping the chassis for a new car (which could easily take another...uhm...lets say...5 years!)

so thats 15years of education, experience and development, which is supposed to ensure the car will not brake apart or have horrible handling...15YEARS

and then there is this 15-year-old-kid who thinks you could simply cut parts of the chassis off and weld some new metal to it...hoping it would last longer than the first time you turn the key

Okay.

(just copying his reply, not being rude to you or anything)
Quote from speedway :concerning the rwd conversion part: its actually impressive how the most reasonable posts are ignored, to encounter this, ill just quote a really good one and highlight the most important part

there are people who study this shit for 5 years, then after another 5 years of experience they might even get there hands on developping the chassis for a new car (which could easily take another...uhm...lets say...5 years!)

so thats 15years of education, experience and development, which is supposed to ensure the car will not brake apart or have horrible handling...15YEARS

and then there is this 15-year-old-kid who thinks you could simply cut parts of the chassis off and weld some new metal to it...hoping it would last longer than the first time you turn the key

I didn't say you can just cut things off then weld new parts on. I was actually asking how you would convert a car from FWD to RWD.
Quote from Sam93 via PM :Hi there mate,

Could you tell me what you would actually need to do, to convert a fwd car to rwd and how to turn a fwd/rwd to 4wd. I dont seem to actually get answers in the thread so I thought I would ask you.

Cheers bud

Thought this was better in the open, as I've never attempted a FWD to RWD or 4WD conversion, so need the 'experience of the masses' to correct me and add further suggestions or ideas.

To convert a FWD to a RWD:
1. You'll need a rear suspension that leaves enough room for the drivetrain.,
2. You'll need uprights that accept driveshafts, and a handbrake mechanism that fits it.
3. You'll need a differential or transaxle, and space to fit it.
4. You'll need a propshaft (assuming you keep it front engined), and the space to fit it, with suitable reinforcement for the event of propshaft explosions.
5. You'll need a gearbox that can fit a longitudinal propshaft, that can also mount to the engine.
6. You need to make all the above (and all the below if I think of more) work together to give decent wheel control, traction, drivetrain angles, load paths etc etc (almost ad infinitum)
7. Sort out the suspension and steering to take into the account you've completely the changed the vehicle. You'll need to start from scratch with respect to springs, dampers, roll bars, wheel rates, spring rates.
8. You'll probably need to brace the chassis so that the back end can cope with delivering power.
9. You'll need a new exhaust system entirely.
10. You'll probably have to relocate the fuel tank, which will require adjustments to the fuel system.
11. What are you going to do about tyre sizes, because the loads and requirements at each corner will be totally different.

Of course, you can add things to this list until you're using four figure numbers. And you can ignore some of them if you don't want to do a proper job and are happy risking your life and the lives of others every time you use them. 99% of home garage mechanics will ignore 99% of the steps and do a half-arsed job (and then cover it in metallic paint to draw attention away from the fact they don't know what they were doing).

To convert to 4WD:
1. Most of the above, but with different answers and a whole lot more complexity and weight.
Quote from tristancliffe :Thought this was better in the open, as I've never attempted a FWD to RWD or 4WD conversion, so need the 'experience of the masses' to correct me and add further suggestions or ideas.

To convert a FWD to a RWD:
1. You'll need a rear suspension that leaves enough room for the drivetrain.,
2. You'll need uprights that accept driveshafts, and a handbrake mechanism that fits it.
3. You'll need a differential or transaxle, and space to fit it.
4. You'll need a propshaft (assuming you keep it front engined), and the space to fit it, with suitable reinforcement for the event of propshaft explosions.
5. You'll need a gearbox that can fit a longitudinal propshaft, that can also mount to the engine.
6. You need to make all the above (and all the below if I think of more) work together to give decent wheel control, traction, drivetrain angles, load paths etc etc (almost ad infinitum)
7. Sort out the suspension and steering to take into the account you've completely the changed the vehicle. You'll need to start from scratch with respect to springs, dampers, roll bars, wheel rates, spring rates.
8. You'll probably need to brace the chassis so that the back end can cope with delivering power.
9. You'll need a new exhaust system entirely.
10. You'll probably have to relocate the fuel tank, which will require adjustments to the fuel system.
11. What are you going to do about tyre sizes, because the loads and requirements at each corner will be totally different.

Of course, you can add things to this list until you're using four figure numbers. And you can ignore some of them if you don't want to do a proper job and are happy risking your life and the lives of others every time you use them. 99% of home garage mechanics will ignore 99% of the steps and do a half-arsed job (and then cover it in metallic paint to draw attention away from the fact they don't know what they were doing).

To convert to 4WD:
1. Most of the above, but with different answers and a whole lot more complexity and weight.

Okay, thanks. That is a lot of hassle to go through. It would be easier to just buy a rwd car.

Twincharging.
(131 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG