The online racing simulator
Quote from ajp71 :Almost forgot, is there somewhere I can download Obama's speech? I fell asleep after watching McCain's, rather dull, but in fairness very honourable concession speech. The BBC has the whole thing on their website but my connection isn't good enough to stream from the BBC and I don't fancy watching it in youtube quality

Youtube has a HD version of the entire speach on there somewhere. I cant provide a link at this time because our web-blocker at work prevents me from visiting certain websites. Quality shouldnt matter anyway, all you need is sound. The quality isnt to bad though, note the bullet proof glass surrounding the President-elect and his family. It's sad that they had to put that up.

By the way, what a fantastic speach it was.

EDIT: it is even better if you read it. http://www.freep.com/article/20081105/NEWS15/81105065
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Something we have to get right in here, Georgia was the aggressor, they used US training and assistance and directly targeted Russian civilians, which is a war crime. The Russian response was heavy handed, and it was clearly a message to the USA. Russia does not want a new cold war, their economy is strong, they have plenty of energy resources, they hold all the cards. The USA is in massive debt, its military is stretched thin, and they are 20 years away from an energy crises.

I love the way some people scream COMMIE! When even the most liberal American politician would be considered conservative in the rest of the world.

Shhh... the American public doesn't know who attacked first. (Not saying Russia's responses was right, but...)
Quote from th84 :Youtube has a HD version of the entire speach on there somewhere. I cant provide a link at this time because our web-blocker at work prevents me from visiting certain websites. Quality shouldnt matter anyway, all you need is sound. The quality isnt to bad though, note the bullet proof glass surrounding the President-elect and his family. It's sad that they had to put that up.

By the way, what a fantastic speach it was.

EDIT: it is even better if you read it. http://www.freep.com/article/20081105/NEWS15/81105065

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIOmfpUdZOs&fmt=18
Quote from rcpilot :Shhh... the American public doesn't know who attacked first. (Not saying Russia's responses was right, but...)

Don't mention the war, I got ya

A small tribute.
Quote from major_syphillis :Dude, you're from a communist state.

Nah, YOU are from a communist state, with your daily dose of FOX propaganda.
Quote from JJ72 :Nah, YOU are from a communist state, with your daily dose of FOX propaganda.

That's totalitarianism, which is extreme right-wing fundamentalism - communism is extreme left-wing.

I do however find it interesting just how many similarities there are between an extreme right-wing government, say in the book 1984, and an extreme left-wing government, like communist Russia, despite the fact they they're meant to be 'opposites'.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Pretty sure Canada doesn't want you, man.

Welcome to the ignore list.

Quite true. Unless he wants to take part for us in operation Overlord 2.0? I don't really know who 'saved' Europe, but maybe, just maybe, saying that it was the Allies would be a good start.

I thought McCain's concession speech was very good. I was able to stay awake for Obama's despite being fed with boring Vermont news between the two speeches
Quote from Hankstar :Then I suggest a "no-politics, no religion" rule. Works great for other forums where it's been implemented. In my experience you can't trust people not to bring that stuff up in an OT section unless you explicitly ask them not to.

What about a separate handbags section for them?

Quote from major_syphilis :Dude, you're from a communist state.

Half points ... he's from Hong Kong, which is a SAR of a communist state. Hong Kong isn't one. No Golden Shield Project etc.
Quote from Hankstar :Then I suggest a "no-politics, no religion" rule. Works great for other forums where it's been implemented. In my experience you can't trust people not to bring that stuff up in an OT section unless you explicitly ask them not to.

I really don't agree with this. We're mostly all adults, I guess all relatively well educated, and however different our opinions may be, I firmly believe it is possible to have discussions of all kinds - and of all subjects - without insulting anybody.

I agree that it is sometimes hard for some people to remain polite when talking about delicate matters, but that's no reason for the forums to be censored. Yes, shit happens, and one in a while somebody will loose his nerves and post something rude and/or offensive to somebody, but when that happens it's up to the admins and moderators to administrate and moderate in any way they should see fit. It is in my opinion, however, not a reason to censor the whole forum and forbid particular subjects, however delicate they may be.
We can't say that China is communist state as it is 100% capitalist
Even Cuba isn't 100% communist...
.. and if a country IS communist, by the will of its people, then that's a damn fine thing.
Quote from Sir moi 407 :We can't say that China is communist state as it is 100% capitalist
Even Cuba isn't 100% communist...

Honestly quite a few of the big players in the commerical sector are controlled by the party so it ain't exactly a free market. But I agree I don't see much communism left in it really, seeing how some people are now excessively rich.
Quote from major_syphillis :Most of the voters that voted for Obama are clueless...
Obama is a danger to America...

Quote from major_syphillis :These ["turrist"] countries despise any form of free speech, free religion, homosexuality, and any kind of media.

Why do you think Saddam was hung and by whom? [Oh, the irony]

...a weak inexperienced Communist President.

I assume you know history.

Quote from major_syphillis :Not sure where you're from Gunn, but I can bet the USA saved your butt once or twice.

Some countries cannot be trusted with nukes or missles

Quote from major_syphillis :Nazis, when they invaded England?

Quote from major_syphillis :how did Russia save Europe?

[Russia's] pact with Nazis that went sour and Stalin got bitter. Russia is just a back stabber.

Quote from major_syphillis :can't have both, russia is just a back stabbing bastard out for it's own good, cares about nobody else

Wow. Just... wow.
Yeah...

On behalf of all Americans, sorry about that.
I do agree with him, some countries can't be trusted with nukes, they might drop them on civilians for no reason other than to shorten a conflict by a few days, knowing the enemy were preparing to surrender anyway.
Quote from STROBE :Wow. Just... wow.

Ever hear of the land lease act?

Quote :Lend-Lease (Public Law 77-11)[1] was the name of the program under which the United States of America supplied the United Kingdom, the Soviet Union, China, France and other Allied nations with vast amounts of war materiel between 1941 and 1945 in return for, in the case of Britain, military bases in Newfoundland, Bermuda, and the British West Indies. It began in March 1941, over 18 months after the outbreak of the war in September 1939.
A total of $50.1 billion (equivalent to nearly $700 billion at 2007 prices) worth of supplies were shipped: $31.4 billion to Britain, $11.3 billion to the Soviet Union, $3.2 billion to France and $1.6 billion to China. Reverse Lend Lease comprised services (like rent on air bases) that went to the U.S. It totaled $7.8 billion, of which $6.8 billion came from the British and the Commonwealth.

Germany invaded Poland first; then Russia immediately responded from the east. Poland ended up getting slammed by both sides, but clearly Germany was the first to enter.

Really, russia is so innocent.
I haven't vetted this, but pretty amusing:

-
(major_syphillis) DELETED by major_syphillis
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I haven't vetted this, but pretty amusing:

where is New Mexico compared to Illinois on that list.
Quote from major_syphillis :where is New Mexico compared to Illinois on that list.

It would be higher but you're dragging the average down.
Quote from major_syphillis :Ever hear of the land lease act?

Yes, an important act by the americans, still, it wasn't decisive. Even though the numbers look big, american equipment was quite rare on the eastern front compared to russias own efforts.

Quote from major_syphillis :
Germany invaded Poland first; then Russia immediately responded from the east. Poland ended up getting slammed by both sides, but clearly Germany was the first to enter.

Really, russia is so innocent.

Nobody said russia was "innocent". heck, Stalin was most likely the most murderous dictator mankind has ever seen (read "the Gulag Archipelago" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn).

We just wanted to correct your overly US centric view of history. Of course the US played a huge part in the victory over Nazi Germany, but still, it's just a part of the common effort of all the allies, with the biggest part being done by the Russians.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG