The online racing simulator
Mah fuel light isa broken!
(18 posts, started )
Another 'problem' with my as always reliable RS125.

(2006- model so no fuel tap.)

Filled it up on Monday, went for a 50-60mile ride. Tuesday, commuted for 35-50 miles to and from work (over a couple of days) and odd blasts around in the evenings.

Today popped out to get a KFC, and the fuel warning light came on. For all of 10 seconds. Then it went out again. I filled it up to the brim (about 1/4 of a mile later) with approx 10.50 liters. (Bike holds 14, reserve is apparently 3.5)

It has happened before (the fuel light only coming on for a few seconds and then going out again) but I've been to scared to run it any further, since I'd have to get my mother to come out with a can if I ran out and she wouldn't be best pleased!

Problem with the fuel light/level sensor or do they only come on once for around 5 - 10 seconds before dissapearing until you run out?

When turning the ignition on the light goes on fine so I'm guessing it's not the light itself.

Will try to check it out at work during the remainder week althought can't be guarenteed because of bikes needed work that are actually paying our salaries!

Help since I don't want to have to fill it up with petrol every time I go out!

(I.E Help me find a solution or answer to this big'a problem.) >_>
Tough Shit

what we can do
I'm asking if there could be a problem with the switch, the light, the wiring. It doesn't take a genious to figure that out!

Or whether they 'all do that sir'.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I'm asking if there could be a problem with the switch, the light, the wiring. It doesn't take a genious to figure that out!

Or whether they 'all do that sir'.

wiring same problem with my moms/dads izuizu rodeo but we havent got it fixed yet.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :...snip...

I dont know much about bikes, but maybe the fuel is just at the level where the movement of the bike, is enough to slosh the fuel making it "think" it is below the level, and it corrects itself after a few seconds.

Just a theory.

[edit]
And oh, it should stay on [im pretty sure, but as a non bike person, i might be wrong, but it doesnt make sense if it "turns off" imo]. Every bike my cousin has (and he has lots), the fuel warning light stays on.
On cars this is mostly caused by inclination...If you're parked on a non-level road, the fuel gathers up on the other side of the sensor, so when you start, the car thinks it hasn't got much more fuel left...The Low fuel lamp lights up, but then you drive mostly straight so it goes back normal again...
Don't know if it's that though...
#8 - MR_B
my bike doesn't have a fuel gauge so count yourself lucky!

That's what the reserve tank is for.
Just do what was done for years before pointless electrics - use the odometer and the reserve tank.

I rate pointless warning lights right up there with scooters, look pretty but don't really do anything. ( Exciting anyway )

Noticed one bike with a sidestand warning light. Whats next I wonder, a warning light if your wearing a tshirt, shorts and jandels which turns off the ignition, now that would be a good use of technology.
Quote from spiderbait90 :I dont know much about bikes, but maybe the fuel is just at the level where the movement of the bike, is enough to slosh the fuel making it "think" it is below the level, and it corrects itself after a few seconds.

Give this man a cookie!

The fuel light will stay one when the fuel level is consistently low enough. You're just touching reserve, so you've got no need to worry in the slightest!

You could try draining the tank (into a big container), and then filling it up half a litre at a time with the ignition on (don't worry, it's safe) and seeing how many litres it takes to turn off the light. Try to do it on level ground with you on the bike so it's at the right attitude.
fuel tanks are usually a float mounted on one side of the tank, so you have less fuel when turning in one particular direction! The analogue guage thing moves slowly enough that the changes as you lean dont matter so much, but the digital fuel light isnt slow, it's just on or off - so it just says "I've enough - YAY" ...or... "I've not enough, PAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNIIIIICCCCCCC, I better light up, light up light up, where's me electrickery ahha there it is BADAM RIDER LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME yes i'm a fuel light and i'm glowing and oh you're in so much trouble now in your fancy leathers and silly paintjob helmet ... oh wait, there's enough, never mind - terribly sorry, carry on as normal nothing to see here".
Well My Dirtbikes doesnt have one so I have no clue, But I reckon take it back to your Dealer just on the safe side, Probably if your pulling Wheelies left right n center it might jump on and go off as you hit the ground.

Still If I was me and it happens enough times in say 1 Month, I'd go to the dealership for a quick spot check
Quote from MR_B :my bike doesn't have a fuel gauge so count yourself lucky!

That's what the reserve tank is for.

Reserve tank and Odo check FTW. I always used the trip gauge to guess when I needed fuel. I knew if I was getting on 200 miles it was time to fill up!
#14 - robt
have to do that in my capri, no working fuel guage, so get to 300miles and find a cheap petrol station
Well thanks guys, wasn't able to drain the tank today, had to strip a f*cked up SR50.

Anyway, I guess next time it lights up I'll brave it and see what happens! Thanks
#16 - MR_B
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :Reserve tank and Odo check FTW. I always used the trip gauge to guess when I needed fuel. I knew if I was getting on 200 miles it was time to fill up!

Well to add to that problem my speedo now works perfectly fine until I reach 70mph, and then it jumps up to 85-90mph... Then upon braking down below 50 it then comes back to normal. No idea what's going on.
Check the speedo drive, might be time for a replacement?

First check the cable is screwed in correctly, make sure it's all fine and dandy near going into your clocks as well, that the cable isn't broken or anything.
#18 - robt
is it an analouge dial? remeber what happened in the capri brad? think you might have the same problem. new speedo might be needed, or if not its the cable (if you have one!) can pop over a take a look sometime next week when youre off if you want?

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG