The online racing simulator
Lights On Cars
(20 posts, started )
Lights On Cars
Hi,

With the new night mod just come out, why dont we see lights which shine out, not which just light up,

Think we should now have lights which shine out at a distance, and if someone cuts you up and you flash lights, they would be able to see them in mirror if looking,

Cheers,
That's a pretty hefty request and would require a LOT of changes to the graphics engine, I'm sure. I think we'll eventually see headlights when LFS supports night racing and time-of-day changes. Until then headlights really aren't needed - certainly not for a texture hack "mod".

I'm sure we'll see this eventually, but probably not until S3.
most likely a thing we will see in S3 with full time changes.. right now its just texture brightness
well i suppose the devs could make textured lighting like in gtr but that just looks crap exp on replays... and doesnt really help you to see much better in the dark....... for people who make night mods i say this.... its quite pointless as there are no track lights or car lights and the while thing just ends up being a mess..... it may look like night but it will never feel like driving at night... to me it always feels like driving under a large thunder storm...... i give then 100 for effort but really its kinda poitless at the moment..wait for s3 and then you can use your texturing skills
Quote from Cue-Ball :That's a pretty hefty request and would require a LOT of changes to the graphics engine, I'm sure.

Really? I thought it would just need a flare for each light.
ermm well the flare would need to produce area lighting which is tricky and would need dx9 probably...

if you played gtr then you know that there they used just a texture for the lights which looked ok but didnt really do anything so night racing was really quite difficult.......
Also, the GTR lights looked only good when you saw them right from the front. when you saw it from the side, it was obvious that is is just a flat texture.
#8 - Vain
You can do dynamic lightning in dx8. dx9 really is no advantage here.
I would like LFS to stick with dx8 because a) dx9 is no advantage and b) dx8 is more widespread (for example in Linux, or ROS).

Vain
Wasn't dynamic lighting possible in Dx7? I seem to remember NFS4 (High stakes) giving you the option to drive at night with objects actually emitting light and the cars having working headlights/taillights. Dx8 didn't exist at all back then so I'm quite sure it was possible in Dx7 already.
Need for Speed 4: High stakes did not actually have emitted lights. They worked around by using textures and areas of higher brighntess. It may have looked like light, but it wasn't actually anything like it. Though it was quite easy on the ressources and you could crash your lights out... good racing times back then
#11 - Vesa
Quote from Batterypark :Really? I thought it would just need a flare for each light.

Last time i checked, atleast geforce 4 cards could only support 7 "proper" lightsources at a time. And that is *slow*.
#12 - Vain
The lights in NFS 3 and 4 didn't cast any shadows. But yes, they were very easy with the resources.
Propably the texture-approach would do for many of us. That would also save the day for all those of us who don't have a "phat" GFX-card.

Vain
yeah, keeping things small and "low-fi" helps all users...still as an alpha, S2 is way better than most other games (sim.s) in gold status
i think f is flash?
G is flash

also ya i remember NFS4 having them, because the porsche NFS also had it, but those were textures also

but hey.. for right now in S2, i honestly wouldnt mind having atleast textures at this point, reasons being
A: it could easily be improved on over time through patches with other things
B: that would allow us to test night driving (meaning.. colder track temperatures)
C: ... well it would plain just be fun for right now, and it doesnt matter what it looks like at the beginning, all things take time!
what new night mod?
Racing at night is like driving flat out on a 6 metre road. You do it all from memory, visibility is only there to spot other cars.
I want night racin'
my nightmod is still in the works, but i go overseas for a holiday next week, so it's probably another month or so before i think of releasing it
Quote from ColeusRattus :Need for Speed 4: High stakes did not actually have emitted lights. They worked around by using textures and areas of higher brighntess. It may have looked like light, but it wasn't actually anything like it. Though it was quite easy on the ressources and you could crash your lights out... good racing times back then

also, i admit i havent really played any modern racing games, but to me the lights in NFS4: HS are the most realistic looking ive seen. of course, no doubt there are better ones but as i said i havent really played any new games.

the fact they didnt cast shadows didnt really matter, they looked and worked awesome

Lights On Cars
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG