The online racing simulator
Penalties text is way too big
(19 posts, started )
Hi, I've been thinking this for a while. When you receive a penalty the text shown is too big, it remains in the upper-middle of the screen and it only goes away when you complete the penalty. It's quite disturbing, and sometimes you have to do several laps before completing the penalty for strategic reasons or whatever.

It would be good if that text would appear as it's right now for like 10 seconds, and then it would remain as small text at the top of the screen, not disappearing, but clearing the screen so you have a better field of view.
#2 - RS1T
the fact that its big is the whole point !!! if i t was small people would forget
Quote from RS1T :the fact that its big is the whole point !!! if i t was small people would forget

Maybe so, but there should be some way to acknowledge the penalty and get the obstruction off the screen. He's 100% right about it being an unrealistic annoyance and it should be possible to change it to smaller text.
#4 - RS1T
it is annoying and i think that is also the point. The driver has commited an offense and gets punished. Having the text on the screen helps fulfill the punishment, and while you are driving around it makes you think about what you have done . Reminds me of school lol
it is annoying. Besides if you forget to complete the penalty, thats your problem. +1 for it being large for about 5 seconds, then moved to a smaller text at the top of the screen
#6 - pipa
Annoys me too. +1 to make it smaller or remove it completely after some seconds.
+1 here also, Not only penalty message but the other too.
I'm all for the original idea. If you let it stay big, you are also putting other racers in danger of being unintentionaly crashed by the punished one. And speaking of people forgetting - the Forced Pit Stop notification is even less noticable
Quote from breadfan :the Forced Pit Stop notification is even less noticable

Indeed!

I like the original idea I had, to show the text and then move it to another place and make it smaller. It wouldn't just disappear, but you don't have it covering so much space.

The fact is that it being all big won't make you think that you have to do it now. I've had several friends or teammates that received penalties but didn't want to complete them soon due to strategical reasons, so they kept driving with the text on the screen. After a while they got accostumed to the text and in the end they totally forgot to complete the penalty and got disqualified. This is a true story, and has happened to several people I know With this I just say that having a big text on the screen won't make you read it again and again, and in the end you'll get used ot it, but until that moment comes it's very annoying.
+1 for removing it, or making it smaller and moving it. After a while it just gets plain annoying, and if you can't remember to pit all by yourself...well...
Yes, it's stupidly oversized, right in the middle of the screen.... I know I have a penalty. I'm not a dumbass, I can tell.

It should stay for 30 seconds then leave....

What about a pitboard? :X
+1 from me, also, for the original suggestion.
I like. Idea++;

Hooray for original suggestions, who'd have thought they were still possible?
So does the Message text size slider under Display options change the size of actual player messages, not RCMs/Penalties?
Just chat, last I checked it had no effect on the big ones.

I'd rather the penalty messages appeared just under the clock, probably around the same size as the times themselves, but in a different colour (red or orange would work). Real racing drivers don't have text like that obscuring their vision, so we shouldn't either. But having it somewhere in the corner of your eye in a bright colour would stop you just forgetting it. It could even flash if you really wanted.
The worst cases are when you skip the starting lights (or similar) and you have a big "30 SECONDS PENALTY" message there for the whole race. I mean, you don't even have to clear this penalty in any way, it's just a time penalty that will be added to your finishing time, you don't need to have that message for the whole race bugging you until you finish.
I agree with you, and I like the ide that the note itself still is on screen, but less size and in top / sides of screen instead of in the middle.
Quote from Bob Smith :I like. Idea++;

Hooray for original suggestions, who'd have thought they were still possible?

++Idea; for greater efficiency? :P

+1 from me too.
Quote from MaKaKaZo :The worst cases are when you skip the starting lights (or similar) and you have a big "30 SECONDS PENALTY" message there for the whole race. I mean, you don't even have to clear this penalty in any way, it's just a time penalty that will be added to your finishing time, you don't need to have that message for the whole race bugging you until you finish.

Agreed, that should definitely go. Very annoying when doing autocross to have a huge message in the middle of the screen for the entire race because of a jumped start

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG