The online racing simulator
How to get usb kb to work with PS/2 mouse?
I bought this new logitech usb keyboard which is going to replace my old PS/2 keyboard. Currently my mouse is connected to PS/2 through an usb->PS/2 converter while the kb has a "real" PS/2 plug.

The thing is I can't get the system to work correctly with the new usb kb. The issue is that the one (kb or mouse) which is connected to PS/2 does not work at all. I've tried everything from deleting drivers to deleting devices through device manager but I just can't get the usb keyboard to work with my PS/2 mouse. I've tried booting without kb as well (the mouse in PS/2) into windows but then I didn't have neither kb or mouse that worked...

Does the PS/2 need both kb and mouse connected through PS/2 ports to work, is it even possible to connect one through usb and another through PS/2?

I don't have enough usb ports to put both into usb ports and the only thing I haven't tested yet is to buy another usb->PS/2 converter and try that (so both would be connected to PS/2 through a converter). Is that really the only option to make it work?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, I can't install a keaboard

Any ideas or handholding available?

- Bios should be set up for usb controls and the PS/2 ports should work well too.
- When I have the usb kb and PS/2 mouse plugged in I have two "HID keyboard devices" (check attachment for screen capture). I'f I remove either one the kb stops working (:really
- updating drivers for the mouse did nothing...
Attached images
perkele.jpg
I have wireless USB kb and mouse with native PS/2 plugged into mouses PS/2, nothing plugged in kb usb and all is fine.

Try to look in BIOS settings:
set USB Keyboard/Mouse support to BIOS if u have System or to System if u have BIOS.
FWIW, I can have any combination of PS/2 adaptors, USB devices and actual S/2 devices plugged in no problems. Are you sure you've plugged the PS/2 devices in before startup? Because PS/2 devices (on any computer I've seen at least) will only be detected on startup. I'm sure you know, but it's a little mistake, and it's always the little things

Also, same goes for plugging out PS/2 devices, it's recommended to only do it when the system is off...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :FWIW, I can have any combination of PS/2 adaptors, USB devices and actual S/2 devices plugged in no problems. Are you sure you've plugged the PS/2 devices in before startup? Because PS/2 devices (on any computer I've seen at least) will only be detected on startup. I'm sure you know, but it's a little mistake, and it's always the little things

Also, same goes for plugging out PS/2 devices, it's recommended to only do it when the system is off...

Yeah, I'm aware of the differencies between usb and PS/2. The problem seems to be that I am not able to remove the PS/2 "engagement" with the keyboard, using usb for one or another simply makes any PS/2 devices not to work. I think the bios settings are ok as the computer boots up ok and I have the bios set up so that if keyboard is not present it halts. With the kb in PS/2 and the mouse as usb it boots ok but the PS/2 device does not work in windows...

Buuut! I think I just saw 2 new usb ports on the back side of my case that I wasn't aware of . I'll guess I try to put everything on usb and leave those PS/2 ports unused alltogether. Especially when I just spent 2 hours walking from store to store trying to buy that PS/2->usb adapter...

That is, if it works.

(installing keaboards seems to be harder on these days than it was setting up a home network a decade ago with win 95 :schwitz

Start holding your breath!...
Aaand breath!

Seems to work now ok, although the first usb port I tried didn't seem to work (no lights under the laser mouse) but switching to the another one seems to have cured.

Now, hope this works in all games too

And at least I found 2 new usb ports

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG