The online racing simulator
A new meaning to drifting
(203 posts, started )
Flippy, just curious. Why do you suggest that it's only Fast and the Furious that made drifting popular? It's been done for ages, and it was a rallying technique to get the right corner entry... and in Japan it was done to block and take tight corners quicker than they could by inducing oversteer.

Now given, it wasn't used for flashiness in a race, but it was likely a nice crowd pleaser. So for the sake of it all, can we all shaddup now?
peeling an apple while having your hands, the knife and the apple in the back pocket of your pants, takes skill as well!

that doesn't mean it is something of interest.
I completely agree with the opinion that drifting does take skill, certianly in real life anyway. Holding a car at a consistant sideways angle all the way around a corner whilst still in control is extremely hard to do. I know this because i have tried, and i cant do it. I do however know people who can. As it suggests in my user name, i compete in banger racing in real life, this is done on short oval tracks, that are either tarmac , concrete or shale (mud) surfaces. I cannot drive a rwd car very well and for that reason i will never race a rwd car, especially on a shale track because all i do is spin myself around at silly angles and look stupid. A good friend of mine is very good at sideways. Many times i have seen him flinging a ford granada running a 2.8 v6 engine and a locked diff, around a shale track and he can literally flick the car sideways about 3/4 of the way down the straight and harmoniously slide all the way around the bend before being in exactly the same place on the exit of the bend lap after lap. I have enclosed two pictures of him in action in a 1978 mk1 ford granada at a meeting we did in holland in 2006 as these are the only action shots of him that i have got. It is not as easy as it looks, so in my mind does deserve some amount of respect. LFS is what it is, and people will use it to fulfill what they enjoy doing. Its very much upto them.
Attached images
drift1.jpg
drift2.jpg
Quote :and it was a rallying technique to get the right corner entry

wrong - thats called power sliding not drifting in rallying as you dont want to get the arse out too far rallying as you will loose too much speed.

Drifting

It's more about making smoke and holding the drift for as long as possible while making a smooth, long drift through the corner(s), speed through the corner isnt essential as long as you have enough speed to maintain the drift

Most of the tracks in this game can be used for drifting. You dont really need anything special.

It was invented in the mountain tracks before it got recognised as a real sport.

Keiichi Tsuchia being on of my fave drifters and probably more well know, also helped out on tokyo drift and even has a small cameo as one of the fishermen when shaun is learning in the evo. See The Drift Bible for some awesome tuition and great car controll. He infact was a racing driver initially but ended up getting a better crowd response when he drifted (check wikipedia or something for the word for word reason)

Drift or race both are great!

Myself I was a long supporter of the late great Colin Mcrae in rallying and love almost all forms of racing and like many people I couldnt see the point in drifting but it's grown on me. Still trying to get into drag racing but only got as far as being impressed by the machines.

I dont think you should restrict yourself to one form of motorsport no ones going to love every motorsport so you should be respectfull of peoples views.

We all play for the one love of cars and motorsport. Have fun whatever type you prefer.
Quote from jaykay3000 :
Drifting

It's more about making smoke and holding the drift for as long as possible while making a smooth, long drift through the corner(s), speed through the corner isnt essential as long as you have enough speed to maintain the drift

not really, Drifting is about line,speed,angle and in a battle its about how close you can get to the person in front or how far away u can get while while still having a good line,speed,angle

in rl smoke just means the car has some power, in LFS it just means your rears tyre's are stuffed
How about we stick with basics and say that drifting is the act of your arse sliding out and you hold that for a corner?
i just think it's more for show than for substance.
i like to 'drift' too. it's not that i am bad at it... i especialy like the RAC for this. a lot of power and a fidgety car make for some very very delicate drifts.

but it is for show, not for substance.

like a big boobed girl.

but i'm a butt-man myself... anywaaaaaaaaaay........
#184 - ssm
Server S1
Is thewre any servers on S1(i only have the S1 license) that let you run the XRT in a drift!! server.. it sucks coz i got S1 to drift and now its got no drift servers allowing the XRT..

anyone can help me??
#186 - ssm
You know, I watched drift bible, and it seems like, drifting is not about the horse power or smoke. It's about car control. The main thing that they want to do is to slide out naturally and manipulate the car as if it was your own body.

They keep saying that "dynamic drifting" is the ultamate form of drifting. High speed sliding.
i felt like bringing this back up, you people have it all mixed up...

guys drifting in real life is about looking cool

its not serious

its about slammed cars ,nice paint , big steering angle, no suspension travel left

but i look cool? thats all that matters just a little heads up control is a thing of the past looking hot is what its about.

they look like when a car in lfs loses all 4 suspensions and the body drags on the tarmac
Quote from george_tsiros :they look like when a car in lfs loses all 4 suspensions and the body drags on the tarmac

yup which means its cool.

who cares if my car handles horribly, i want to bottom out 2k dollar coilovers because i CAN
Quote from LsTeg :i felt like bringing this back up, you people have it all mixed up...

guys drifting in real life is about looking cool

its not serious

its about slammed cars ,nice paint , big steering angle, no suspension travel left

but i look cool? thats all that matters just a little heads up control is a thing of the past looking hot is what its about.

thats 1 more person to the list of ppl in this thread who has no idea what there talking about
Just to show you that what you just said does not mean you know what you are talking about, you still can't speel propar englisch
Quote from george_tsiros :Just to show you that what you just said does not mean you know what you are talking about, you still can't speel propar englisch

yea i do know about drifting because ive been a fan of drifting for around 8 years and have been drifting in real life and LFS for awhile now

my bad spelling has nothing to do with ppl like you having no idea about drifting, nice try tho
bwahahahaha

You still haven't explained how or why "we have no idea". You only keep repeating it and variations of it.

ok, so you say that i have no idea about drifting. anyone can make that claim about anyone and anything. can you substantiate it?
Biggest problem with those cars in those pics and the people driving them.. They DON'T look cool at all
More like complete moron to be honest.
Quote from george_tsiros :bwahahahaha

You still haven't explained how or why "we have no idea". You only keep repeating it and variations of it.

ok, so you say that i have no idea about drifting. anyone can make that claim about anyone and anything. can you substantiate it?

go look at some of the other posts of mine in this thread and some other posts from some of the drifters on here

tho i'm pretty sure you think you know alot about drifting and wont listen to half the posts in here that say your wrong

Quote from sgt.flippy :Biggest problem with those cars in those pics and the people driving them.. They DON'T look cool at all
More like complete moron to be honest.

not a fan of drifting i bet?
Quote from masternick :go look at some of the other posts of mine in this thread and some other posts from some of the drifters on here

i read some, but none actually substantiate the claim that we don't know about drifting. in fact, three of those ( 1, 2, 3 ) are just the typical "you don't know about drifting". you never actually explained why.

Quote from masternick :tho i'm pretty sure you think you know alot about drifting and wont listen to half the posts in here that say your wrong

i don't see... how does it matter what i think i know? this is another simple case of people running out of arguments and just saying "you have no idea". personal attack at its finest...
yea i really dont know what to say that hasnt been said by other ppl or by me (in other threads not just this one)

i really dont know why i still post on here when pretty much everybody that isnt a drifter hates them and thinks they shouldnt be allowed to drift or crap like that
Quote from BAMBO : As you all know the drifting community has never been appreciated by the LFS community because some don't consider it a motor sport and others because your average LFS drifter is a teenager that has just seen Tokyo Drift and thinks that he knows everything there is about drifting thus acting like a moron leaving others a bad impression about this interesting motor sport. Some consider that all you need is a car able to loose grip and a heavy right foot but like any other motor sport , drifting requires a driver that has not just sharp responses but also a driver that has finesse and talent because anyone can drift but only a true professional and a dedicated driver can do a harmonious drift that gives it it’s beauty. To understand why someone can’t compare it to another motor sport, we shall need to look it from another point of view. Let’s find a sport that is similar to some of the motor sports we have today. Dragsters would be the sprint runners, trying to go as fast as they can in a short distance. Le Mans drivers would be the endurance runners trying to finish a very long race. The drifter would be the figure skaters ,not showing speed but beauty. Returning to cars we can say that usually any other motor sport is about going to A to B as fast as you can while drifting is to go from A to B in the most beautiful way you can go in a car. By that analysis I determined that drifting is literally and metaphorically speaking in another league, comparing drifting to any other motor sport is like comparing hockey to figure skating or dog fighting to plane acrobatics and remember never judge a sport by a driver, judge it by it’s beauty and purpose.

PS: I am not a drifter, I just wanted to make this things clear because I am open-minded to any motor sport and I wanted to share it with you hoping that it may change the way some of you think about this noble motor sport that deserves as much respect as any other motor sport

i just can say one thing:

YOU GOT IT

finally someone who know something about drifting and accept it

and the one who said : if you hate drift hate it
yeah your able to hate it but some ppl are like able to complain about drift

he dont want to completly change your mind but just show you what is drift

bambo i knw its not a lot but i give you all of my respect

A new meaning to drifting
(203 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG