The online racing simulator

Poll : OK or BAD in WHEELS VIEW when HAZE EFFECT is switched on?

Closed since :
OK - "Haze effect" YES -> everything is OK in wheels view
DON'T KNOW - can't find the option / don't want to test it
BAD - "Haze effect" YES -> corrupted in wheels view (please give info)
No probs for me.

Fx 5200 256mb

Lastest nvidia drivers
OK! NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS

But please, make some buttons for pre-defined graphics settings (Weak PC / Mid PC / Powerful PC) or button for benchmark -> measure fps -> set graphics. I have many friends which dont understand all these sliders and options. They have very powerful PCs and "ugly" LFS, because of low default graphics settings.
I have no 'problems' with haze, but i'm not sure what it actually changed when I enabled it.

SLi : BFG 7800GT 256mb X2

I do have one annoying issue with the graphics though - my PC runs at 60% throttle to play LFS but cars in the near corners of my screen have octagonal wheels, i've dragged the LOD sliders right up - i'd like to disable the LOD effect completely.
No problem here.

GF 6600 LE 256 MB RAM
forceware 81.95
@becky: nice setup

Fine here, GeForce FX5900, forceware 81.xx (newest)
No corruption here; A9600XT (Cat 6.1)
Quote from Becky Rose :cars in the near corners of my screen have octagonal wheels, i've dragged the LOD sliders right up - i'd like to disable the LOD effect completely.

"Simple wheels" in Graphics section?, "Screen width affects LOD" ?

Regarding topic, everything's fine on my radeon 9550, but i really can't see the difference, comparison screenshots anyone ?
Quote from Becky Rose :I have no 'problems' with haze, but i'm not sure what it actually changed when I enabled it.

SLi : BFG 7800GT 256mb X2

I do have one annoying issue with the graphics though - my PC runs at 60% throttle to play LFS but cars in the near corners of my screen have octagonal wheels, i've dragged the LOD sliders right up - i'd like to disable the LOD effect completely.

Try changing the "Screen width affects LOD"-option to "Yes" and the simple wheels should be gone.
no probs on wheels view...

GF6800 128MB

P4 3.2
Sheesh, does no one else have simple onboard graphics except me? I'll pipe in with the new onboard ATI xpress 200 that so many storebought PC's seem to have. No problems here.
Quote from Jeddix :Try changing the "Screen width affects LOD"-option to "Yes" and the simple wheels should be gone.

Really? In that case this is "bug". If I have LOD set to max, why wheels are octagonal and why some option (Screen width affects LOD) can make LOD "bigger" than 1?
No problems here
Card : GeForce4 MX 460
Driver: 6.14.10.4523
DirectX: 9c
Fine here

7800GS 81.98 x64
Everything's cool
Sapphire AtiRadeon 9600XT + Omega drivers / older version /
#40 - Don
for some ppl who dont see the difference, best is to check it on south city:
Attached images
haze0.jpg
haze1.jpg
from what i remember haze drops my fps quite a bit so i always leave it off. but it looked fine on fx5200.
When I look at those two pics, I like the one without haze a lot better. With the haze on, the city in the background looks like it's glued on.
No problems, and I much prefer it switched on.

6800GT

John
Quote from sgt.flippy :When I look at those two pics, I like the one without haze a lot better. With the haze on, the city in the background looks like it's glued on.

problem with comparing these pics is different FOV, but i agree, haze efect is too intensive, could be depressed to 1/2
Quote from Scawen :Just something incidental while I'm coding other things and before I forget about it...

I'd like to find out how many computers still have a problem with "Haze effect". When it was first implemented, certain graphics drivers had a bug which causes the nearby track to go all white or striped, basically WRONG! It is an unmistakeable bug in Cockpit View and even more so in Wheels View.

So... at the moment, when LFS runs for the first time, it chooses the setting depending on which video card you have. But I'd like to make it ON by default in all cases. So that's why I need to find out how many people still get the problem.

To answer the poll, please go into Options... Graphics and make sure the setting at the bottom of the screen "Haze effect" is switched to YES. Then drive along 100 metres or so in cockpit view and same again in wheels view. Then make your vote!

If you do get the problem, please tell us your graphics card and if you can find out easily, which version of the drivers you are using.

from what i recall what caused those "car on white section" probs was FOG.
haze was a "safe downgrade" from that, which from what i recall never gave any extreme probs?
the only graphical glitch i sometimes still see is the shadow missing at some tv angles/distances (mostly on ati 9600 laptop).
#46 - SamH
Quote from Scawen :It is subtle. It gives some depth to the graphics, even without being very noticeable. To see it, try looking at some distant buildings at South City - compare with it on and off.

I did as you said, and now I know exactly what to look for, I see that it was always there. It does make the buildings look like an overexposed photo, rather than contributing to the perception of depth, IMO.

If the haze effect is going to have any value, to me, I think it would be nice to bring it "inside the world", so that there is a haze looking down the long straight at Blackwood, for example, which disappears gradually as you approach it. That'd be a really nice application of the haze feature, I think.
Quote from SamH :If the haze effect is going to have any value, to me, I think it would be nice to bring it "inside the world", so that there is a haze looking down the long straight at Blackwood, for example, which disappears gradually as you approach it. That'd be a really nice application of the haze feature, I think.

thats the thing, it is! if you go down blackwood's back straight in forward config, soon as you can see the 4 tall buildings off in the distance, then stop the car. turn on and off the haze affect and you'll see the 4 buildings change. so yeah the haze is inside the world so to speak, and does disappear as you go down the straight, the buildings arent covered in haze when you get down the other end

IMO scawen has got it almost spot on, certainly for the clear weather setting. i wouldnt want to see it any stronger as it would look a bit unrealistic and remind me of the "fogging" technique some old N64 games would use, where the scenery would appear out of the distant fog
Quote from Becky Rose :I do have one annoying issue with the graphics though - my PC runs at 60% throttle to play LFS but cars in the near corners of my screen have octagonal wheels, i've dragged the LOD sliders right up - i'd like to disable the LOD effect completely.

Under Graphics options make sure "Simple wheels" is set to off or mirror and under Misc options check your settings for multiplayer speed up particularly "dynamic LOD reduction" setting (0.00 is best, 1.00 is max dynamic LOD reduction)

@ SamH in real life if you look into the distance you can see a slight bluring or washing out of distant objects (5-20km away) that is what the haze affect is replicating, its not trying too create fog and or smog
#49 - shim
all is fine, but when lookin down main straight on BW, it doesnt seem no where as clear with haze on for me..
Wow, for so long, I've been looking at hexagonal wheels. I can't believe my wheels and tires are now round. Amazing!

On topic: Oops, I didn't even realize this was a poll. I forgot to vote. I'm looking at options now to vote.

Sheesh, and I didn't even see the "in wheels view" part. Man, what is with me?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG