The online racing simulator
the engine wont let you load the whole track? thats not right surely you can load the whole track? it lets you load a bit of it why not all, (exept them roads that dont leard anywere)
Quote from slickstyle :the engine wont let you load the whole track? thats not right surely you can load the whole track? it lets you load a bit of it why not all, (exept them roads that dont leard anywere)

Scawen explained it already, that its too much of a load on a graphics engine, if you're a super prgrammer that can prove him his own engine can, go on
Basically, the LFS engine can only draw road a certain amount of metres out from the centre of the track. If you go out of bounds, see the way you fall through the track? That's it. If a road was to separate from the main track, and you followed it, you'd fall through the ground, as it's too far from the main track.

It is on the list for it to be re-written, but Scawen hasn't said when it's going to be done. Most likely not until S3, but possibly for S2 Final if we're lucky
+111
Quote from rusty8 :+111

but you'd have to BUY an S2 license to get the content, start with that first
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Basically, the LFS engine can only draw road a certain amount of metres out from the centre of the track. If you go out of bounds, see the way you fall through the track? That's it. If a road was to separate from the main track, and you followed it, you'd fall through the ground, as it's too far from the main track.

Dougie. Try this....

Place a start point just outside the track path, on the edge of an out-of-bounds part. An intersection joining a side road works particularly well. Usually when you use shift-U after joining track at that spot, it says, "Cannot find position" or something like that. Then try differnt views like TV and heli view and drive around the new secret area. It might help you understand more how the LFS rendering engine operates.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :
It is on the list for it to be re-written, .....

Is this fact ?
Well, it's hardly going to be the same graphics engine for S3. Otherwise it's just S2 with a few new cars

I know how the OOB thing works, I've found all the secret places When you're outside the rendering area, mostly the ground won't appear with cockpit view, but it appears from external views.
It might get a make-over for bling effects, weather etc. That doesn't mean the underlying architecture will be re-written. Unless node-branching is supported we aint getting open-ended free roam. I don't imagine this is high on dev's list to do.
well
can the memory usage not be made a lil bigger? by a good programer? or am i talking days of rewriting here?
It's graphics card usage, not RAM useage. Also, it would be a massive increase. In essence, not possible.
Quote from duke_toaster :It's graphics card usage, not RAM useage. Also, it would be a massive increase. In essence, not possible.

he did not say RAM he said memory, im more inclined to think he was talkin about his videocard memory, or at least i hope he was ^ ^
Quote from slickstyle :can the memory usage not be made a lil bigger? by a good programer? or am i talking years of rewriting here?

fixed
Quote from chavm481 : anyways its a racing sim but not a midnight club, need for speed, or LA rush.. got it?

says man who is currently online at libertycruise demo

Online at: [Lc]LibertyCruiseDemo
Quote from JohnnyFX :Hey cool! I was the 999,999th visitor!

Anybody else?

I was the 5,142,388th visitor or something...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Basically, the LFS engine can only draw road a certain amount of metres out from the centre of the track. If you go out of bounds, see the way you fall through the track? That's it. If a road was to separate from the main track, and you followed it, you'd fall through the ground, as it's too far from the main track.

It is on the list for it to be re-written, but Scawen hasn't said when it's going to be done. Most likely not until S3, but possibly for S2 Final if we're lucky

That is something I don't get, and I think it happens on other sims too.

I always thought the track was a 3D scenario like the one you see on a FPS, let's say Quake. 3D boundaries with no special reference at all.

But seems like racing sims have something lik a "road axis" (It's specially obvious in GPL tracks) that create the environment.

Anyone can explain roughly why is it like that?

Just trying to get something of this thread out of the over-discussed open tracks topic.
In Quake, the whole level is rendered at load. The same with games like Unreal, etc. In LFS though, (I think!) it's rendered as you drive around, a certain distance in front and behind you, and out from the road centre.

That's my general understanding of it anyway, it's something similar to that
i was also the 999,999th visitor lol! but i do use liberty cruise, were talking about ex, south city, you cant kill the barriers and have the entire road...
Quote from duke_toaster :It's graphics card usage, not RAM useage. Also, it would be a massive increase. In essence, not possible.

As you probably know, graphics card have their own RAM/RAM useage. Now, accordingly to LFS on my rig with graphics set to the highest, it's using about 50MB of my graphics card RAM. So I've got 462MB of RAM doing nothing because this is "not possible".

I dunno about you, but I see plenty of space there for a massive increase in graphics card useage. Maybe the DEVS need to replace there TNT2 graphics cards and start to take advantage of todays hardware.

(TNT2 was the Graphics card my PC had when I first played LFS in 2003. hehe.)
Scawen Bobsmith SamH? ore somebudy i se now use in this thread as there is one excatly the same created earlier than this

And goes about excactly the same and since this is the newest made later i see no use for this actualy
(sorry all)
if their was a massive more performace needed, then what would be poeple and their w95's do?!?!?!
free roaming tracks
Just thought it would be fun to do. most of the courses already have multiple paths that are either closed or open.

I think it would be fun to be able to just practice going where I want instead of having to pick a different course.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG