The online racing simulator
personaly im no alien but i found that i wasent exactly that fast i used to do 1:28 with the XRT on Bl but after about 7 months of drifting the car i tryed again and was able to do a 1:24. So many thing can make u faster i find car controle is a major part for me
Concentrate on your line and hitting apexes, not charging into corners.

I've found A Twist of the Wrist 1 & 2 by Keith Code to be very good books about racing on the track. They're geared toward motorcycles but a lot of the basics still apply. I'm sure there are similar books out there for cars.
Another thing to ponder about: if you noticed the fastest drivers in the real world, are not really what you would call deep thinkers. Notice how some just gaze off into the distance? They are not being introspective, they are just plain...well, dumb!

So...stop thinking, pretend you are (insert assumed dum dum driver here) and just do it!
Sometimes you try too hard and it might actually make it more difficult. Also stick with a set that feels good. Don't change too much. If however you feel the need to change something, change one thing at a time. Make a copy of your base setup and don't change that one so you can always go back to that one if the change(s) are not good. Once you can drive multiple laps at a very consistent speed.. then you're probably driving against the limit of the setup..or maybe yourself.
Practice is always very important. So is knowing the course.
But what is most important to me is keeping consistancy (which I suck at currently). Only worry about your momentum because a small mistake can mess you up in the following sections and then you have to build that momentum back up again. If you can keep the momentum going, then you can speed up each time since you can take the corners in the same way, but faster.
There is a reason they are called aliens, there is no secret, you can't learn it, you can only get close through practice, but at the end of the day their limits will always be higher.
I'd like to know the answer to this too.. but not in a BF1 because they bore me to tears...
I am not an Alien too, but always trying to get better and faster.
Latly i am around 1-1.5 sec off WR on 2 minutes tracks [Racing XRT mostly]. I must say, that LFS helps me to get better with BMW in real life and vice versa. When i got better with BMW - suddenly i started to feel and "use" XRT in a better way. Last thing was the Setup, that is critical.
Lets say, if your Cambers are -1.5 - there is no chance to make very good time,no matter how you try.
Important thing - not to go too fast[always to keep your entrance speed and exit speed at some level].I mean - not to enter too fast in corner,so that you lose at exit.
The fastest techniqs is "Fast In Fast Out".....what does that mean? That you enter corner with braking in little slide and it slows car down,but at same time you already on the Throttle with Car pointed at right direction.
So it's actually "slow in fast out", but u win Time on entrance too.
The more straight there is after the corner - the more late should be the apex, so the earlier you have to brake [it can shave lots of time].
And in many cases there is very important WHEN to step on the throttle.
For XRT for example, little ammount of throttle makes it more stable.

I dunno if it's possible to get to aliens results, but i think it's possible with time,practice, analyzing and efforts TO BECOME an alien
Good Luck
Quote from sanderman2000 :I am not an Alien too, but always trying to get better and faster.
Latly i am around 1-1.5 sec off WR on 2 minutes tracks [Racing XRT mostly]. I must say, that LFS helps me to get better with BMW in real life and vice versa. When i got better with BMW - suddenly i started to feel and "use" XRT in a better way. Last thing was the Setup, that is critical.
Lets say, if your Cambers are -1.5 - there is no chance to make very good time,no matter how you try.
Important thing - not to go too fast[always to keep your entrance speed and exit speed at some level].I mean - not to enter too fast in corner,so that you lose at exit.
The fastest techniqs is "Fast In Fast Out".....what does that mean? That you enter corner with braking in little slide and it slows car down,but at same time you already on the Throttle with Car pointed at right direction.
So it's actually "slow in fast out", but u win Time on entrance too.
The more straight there is after the corner - the more late should be the apex, so the earlier you have to brake [it can shave lots of time].
And in many cases there is very important WHEN to step on the throttle.
For XRT for example, little ammount of throttle makes it more stable.

I dunno if it's possible to get to aliens results, but i think it's possible with time,practice, analyzing and efforts TO BECOME an alien
Good Luck

not true, like MANY people out here said: It's something u were born with, that extra piece of talent like M.Schumacher, Senna, Hamilton etc.. was born with. You just have to been the lucky to be born with. U can be very fast or be very very fast and that last is just something you (not meaning YOU, but in general) just can't make.
Quote from jayhawk :Another thing to ponder about: if you noticed the fastest drivers in the real world, are not really what you would call deep thinkers. Notice how some just gaze off into the distance? They are not being introspective, they are just plain...well, dumb!

So...stop thinking, pretend you are (insert assumed dum dum driver here) and just do it!

You mean nascar drivers right? (gets flamed by oval / nascar fans for having a bad sense of humor)

I block the stuff in the real world out and usually am faster. Sometimes i Shift n to block the noise from LFS and am pretty consistant (somehow)

Music always helps, i guess.

edit: oh snap a second page. Quote null.
All it needs is a lot of practice. I don't think there is any extra "giftet" people in LFS, but they have played more, know more about the game, and genereally know much more than the other's how the car reacts and they suits setups for their driving style.
Specially that last one is important, a fast set doesn't work for every driver, you need a setup that is good with YOUR racing style.
Millions of laps of practise will never get anyone anywhere if the said person is not able to see where he can gain time, get better. There are numerous examples of this, just look at the people who have done zillions laps on AS3/GTR or FOX/AS2 etc.. These guys have literally thousands laps done there yet they can only be consistently few secs off the wr. Naturally in sim environments certain things are more important than in real life but the raw speed element is the same in both. It's defenately a skill to be able to go fast and it's very easy to see how has it and who does not.

If anything, that is a "gift" or skill, something you are defenately born with. I'm not saying proper training or upbringing wouldn't help but in the end it's all in the genes. Just look at Ralf and Michael Schumacher.

As for exploits, imho, that's a bit dirty way of saying you're only faster because you cheat. If anything, exploits are kinda natural progression of that "going fast" -skill. Not lifting while shifting is just all about looking at the consequensies if you are looking at it speed-wise. The same it was with the high-nose setups. You find something because you are able to look for it and you are then able to use it fully.

A raw skill is that a person can get very close to wr on most tracks with just very little laps and that is something you can not learn, you can just improve towards it while most of the time still not getting there.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :There is a reason they are called aliens, there is no secret, you can't learn it, you can only get close through practice, but at the end of the day their limits will always be higher.

Nail on head.

It's instinct. Nothing you can learn.

Yes you can improve massively thru practice and technique, but imo that last few % is down to instinct, gut feel, call it what you like
I think it's a little bit of both, talent and practice! Neither one alone is good enough!
Even if you are talented and can move fast within a few laps in an uknonwn combo, without practicing your talent you won't be able to "eat" those tenths needed to beat that damn wr (or move consistently around it).
And vice versa, if you are less talented (but you still have some talent) you can make up by practicing hard.
In all cases, patience & persistance usually pays off
Hmm that instinct you guys talk about is probably it. But what if I try to change my driving style a bit ? At the moment ( I mainly drive the SS'ers) I try to push but not too hard, but when I do try to go beyond my own a limits most of the time I end up with a pb. So what if I just try pushing even more beyond my current limit? Wouldn't that gain those extra tenths?
U should be able to get into 1.12's even without being an alien... how long ago was your PB made?

I never believed i could do 1.33 with xfg bl1, and i ended up doing 1:33:2x (before the patch that changed BL1).

I also never believed i could do 1.13.low and my pb was 1.13.12 with FBM BL1. So yeah, it takes time. I also found out that i beat my pb's more easily when racing online with people watching, putting pressure on the performance. I remember some days where i spent hours hotlapping without a single decent time. Then at the evening i raced for a few minutes and beat my PB... twice.
Quote from Rikje :Hmm that instinct you guys talk about is probably it. But what if I try to change my driving style a bit ? At the moment ( I mainly drive the SS'ers) I try to push but not too hard, but when I do try to go beyond my own a limits most of the time I end up with a pb. So what if I just try pushing even more beyond my current limit? Wouldn't that gain those extra tenths?

You should always push beyond your limit, simply because you might find your limit is actually higher than you think. Try not to do it when you are in the middle of a big race though. Remember that the fastest drivers have the biggest crashes, especially with the single seaters, because they lure you in by being a bit forgiving, then just spit you into a wall.
Quote from Stefani24 :For me, 1:13 IS already alien-fast. I can hardly make a 1:16 with the same set.

me too, my fastest fbm bf1 lap is 1:22.5, fo8 1:11.9

(and i thought i ripped it pretty hard too)
only secret of beeing alien fast is talent, endurance and the ability to know what you are doing wrong and how to do it right.
I should be a alien, but instead I'm a alien n00b.
I know what I do wrong, but I do them everytime tho lol...

Like wrong gearing - does it all time, too late braking - does it all time, beeing an **** - doing it all time.

Checking..

Congratulation, you trully are a n00b ****

Funny the Very End )) Since you joined "n00bs" you like to be calling by the team name,ahh ?

As in Initial D was said smart: "Talented racer will progress faster than usuall racer to get same results". But both practicing and talent needed to get good results.
So here i am asking one question, and it's my goal:
You saying "Talented people see the line,know how to drive fast and where to get better times", right, agreed. But can i learn it ??? By watching WR's for example, by trying and racing with the best.
I agree,Alien-borned people will reach WR very fast by practicing.
As we all know - in each period we have a "wall" in results,that we can not pass. But passes some time, you learn something new,using it - and making new PB, then stuck again.
With watching current Best racers and comparing+analyzing is it possible to "feel" lines like they do ? To learn their smoothness, train braking etc, is it possible to learn with time?

Thats the question,that i am searching answer for...
Talent is great, talented people can progress faster...
But can very motivated racer with alot of "Smart" practice - reach the WR?
Quote from sanderman2000 :
[snip]
Thats the question,that i am searching answer for...
Talent is great, talented people can progress faster...
But can very motivated racer with alot of "Smart" practice - reach the WR?

Unless they seriously lack talent, yes they can. But it may take time! Accumulated experience along with observative thinking always helps.
I have allways been a n00b, that's why it's so great I am in the [noobs] team now And yes, beeing pointed and laughed on, aswell scream "YOU F*KING C**T N00B" on servers is a blast!
i´m not the fastest too, (always 2-3 sec. from wr) and i need little much time to get used to some new combo but i have fun while driving and this is enough for me

i think its just something you get when you are born, you have to live with the fact that there are people you don´t have a chance against.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG