The online racing simulator
The fact remains that you cant make this "cheat" thingo work just using LFS alone,a third party program makes it happen.

It may not be a cheat as such but its definitely not kosher and i think everyone knows it,using anything apart from the original game/sim to gain advantage is wrong.Controllers excluded on the basis that they are coded for in LFS.
Quote from kaynd :Buttons instead of proper axis controls are there so you can drive in a way without having a wheel & analog pedals...
That doesn't mean that LFS is not a simulator... you can fit a real car with several servo control systems and drive it with a mouse or keys... it's just not practical in real life.

The problem is not the existence of the button... it's just have to be slower so it doesn't give an unrealistic advantage that also overcomes gearbox restrictions.

Exactly, this exploit/cheat would not exist without LFS clutch button and more specifically the button control rate setting being available for the clutch button.

The speed of this exploit/cheat comes from LFS options the ease of it comes from the logitech profiler, so if you were not able to program the button control rate so high then assigning a macro to press two keys simultaneously would only give the same effect as a normal sequential shifter in game. So therefore it is not the external application giving the advantage here. It is LFS options. Which is why I conclude it is a stretch to label it as a cheat over an exploit.

Where this is not the case with deg of wheel rotation if it were restricted in LFS to say 720 deg you could override it in your logitec software so that you only use 240deg but the game would still see 720deg. So by this definition having a low deg of steering wheel rotation in a road car is potentially more of a cheat than the fast gear changes.

The reason I have posted so much on this is because I really dislike and think it is counter productive to go around and publicly label people cheats for things that haven't been used outside normal manufacturer inetentions. The button control rate is a normal option in LFS, macro's have been arround in computers since the dawn of time and are apart of the logitech profiler program, nobody has gone and hacked LFS or the logitech wheel.

At best it can be seen as unsportsmanlike behaviour (which many take this stance) Now hopefully something will be done in the future to prevent this exploit being a further problem, but that must be done from within LFS.

Lastly I'm probably going to get labeled or at least thought of suspicoiusly as a cheat for so strongly defending - I don't really care, because the people that know me well enough will know I'm not The reason of my posts though is it's so easy to jump on band wagons/raise posies/be a part of a lynch mob and go after the percieved villin.

Hey at least one has said I'm taking note of those cheaters and (effectively) saying their sub human. Well just to be clear again I don't use the gear change macro (really I don't feel any need to) but I am experimenting with low deg of wheel rotation. Which in my view does make me a cheat (so please add me to the list), but I guess because it's accepted that it's a widely used practise that can't possibley be monitored that it is ok

Anyway I think it's healthy to have good discusions about things that effect LFS and for the most part we have had that in this thread, so I congratulate everyone on that point
Quote from Glenn67 :Exactly, this exploit/cheat would not exist without LFS clutch button

Yes, it would. There is a script command to invert an axis.

/invert [1/0] [axis]

Quote from richo :If it requires an external program then yes it smells bad, if you can do it within the confines of the LFS program then it has to be ok.

Personally i think its a cheat , it requires another external program to work.

Pure and simple, there's no grey area no matter how many pages of discussion there is...

Using this definition, everyone who uses DXTweak to adjust the clutch pedal axis is using a cheat as DXTweak is every bit of an external program as the Profiler is.
Profiler is a driver for the wheel, i dont see it like a cheat if that's what you're trying to say.
How does adjusting pedals/wheels/joystick's axis mean the same as advantage?

Adjusting the range or travel of anything does not automate a process?

FFS that just silly, one program allows you to fix axis's the other automates a procedure.

Pushing button A should =Button A, not Button A= Button A+invert+reinvert+milk the cows+polish my shoes+release clutch

Chalk and Cheese (which is produced by pressing Button A)
Quote from Worm :well 2.06.30 on AS3 RB4 I let a message at the end of the replay.

Very friendly message at the end there, Wormyboy

Richo I agree with your post totally - even better, it's funny! Extra post points
I use a button for my clutch on my gamepad, so I can engage 1st gear at the start
Quote from richo :Pushing button A should =Button A, not Button A= Button A+invert+reinvert+milk the cows+polish my shoes+release clutch

So if you make a macro to change the brake bias up or down on the cars that allow it, is that a cheat?
ahhhhh bugga. i just about broke my foot last night trying to change gears as quick as this guy racing in a fbmw/blackwood server last night. didn't even think there were hacks in LFS.
if it's not in the game and u add this on to go quicker, obviously its a freeekan cheat!
Quote from Glenn67 :So if you make a macro to change the brake bias up or down on the cars that allow it, is that a cheat?

Well no, but why would you bother? you can just press f11 then use left or right arrows, I can't see a point in making one unless there's a corner right after another that you need more rear brake bias or something.. anyway, it won't really change your performance, and it's still doing it half manually, since you'd have to press a button to get it to change the bias.
Quote from [DUcK] :it won't really change your performance, and it's still doing it half manually, since you'd have to press a button to get it to change the bias.

It has the potential to change a race as someone can press 1 button for changing the bias a set amount so there is less likely hood of him making an error over someone esle doing several clicks.

My point again is the macro doesn't give the super fast gear change the button rate option in LFS does...
True. Get rid of the button rate then?
Then again the people who are desperate will still find a way to make it fast
I admit back in patch X I think? I used the button clutch to nail a few of those XFG WR's I had - but that's because everyone was using it back in the day - it was an option in LFS. It's different though, to a macro, because you actually have to press the button at the same time as you click up a gear. It wasn't such a huge advantage either back then, up the whole blackwood straight it would maybe make 0.0x difference. For me it was only a difference between getting 33.0s and 32.9s. The way the clutch works now though, the macro (or even button for that matter) is much faster, probably due to the fast button rate I suppose
Quote from [DUcK] :True. Get rid of the button rate then?

No keyboard and mouse uses will still need it, just limit its range of speed, if that is too much a disadvantage for keyboard steering then have it so the clutch button control rate is fixed while steering, brake and throttle are adjustable.

It want stop people from cheating like wheelforhammer already mentioned but it will at least plug up this hole. Currently it is not good because if anyone uses manual clutch (G25 users) they will be under constant suspision of using a macro to gain advantage.
Yeah I guess.
As for knowing about pedal clutch, it wouldn't be too hard to tell. Most people would be RF braking, if not they will rev match and put it in gear, and wont be using a clutch on downshift.
Heres a question for you all:
Do you consider using Vicks Nasal Spray to unblock your nose if you want to go to work/school if you have a head cold? Do you consider using this third party "add-on" as a cheat?

No?

Well, try running a competitive sports event after using it and then see if you pass a doping test!
Point? It should only be considered cheating if it gives an unfair advantage, which the clutch macro DOES!

PS... Dwain Chambers FTL!
I think its a cheat. It switches gears faster than a human. What else?
Yep. cheat it is.
Quote from [DUcK] :Yeah I guess.
As for knowing about pedal clutch, it wouldn't be too hard to tell. Most people would be RF braking, if not they will rev match and put it in gear, and wont be using a clutch on downshift.

If I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I am), as far as the LFSW charts are concerned, people using pedal clutch have the CL flag on.

EDIT: Cheat or exploit doesn't matter the naming, the essence is it gives an unfair advantage.
Quote from migf1 :If I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I am), as far as the LFSW charts are concerned, people using pedal clutch have the CL flag on.

Yeah mate you're right. I meant for online as well But yes, there is a flag for manual shifter and clutch pedal
Quote from Bladerunner :Point? It should only be considered cheating if it gives an unfair advantage, which the clutch macro DOES!

Yes but it's all a matter of perspective isn't it, if you have a clutch and H pattern setup and are using a realistic amount of wheel rotation/ffb while running in the road cars, and those that you are racing with are using autoclutch, sequential shifting and very low wheel rotation/ffb then you could be forgiven for thinking they have an unfair advantage. So by that rule they are cheating

I think there is a vast difference between calling someone a cheat and something an expliot. In the first case your making a judgement on someone's character in the second case your highlighting a flaw in the game that some people take advantage of. And along that line there are many flaws in the game some of which are socially acceptable to take advantage of and others that are not.
Scawen is and that has to put remedy to this script .
Sorry for my english
Quote from Glenn67 : Currently it is not good because if anyone uses manual clutch (G25 users) they will be under constant suspision of using a macro to gain advantage.

Quote from [DUcK] :Yeah I guess.

Also, for example in HL charts you can see who uses CL (Clutch axis=pedal) and who's not
Guys,

To help the argument, im going to practice with fbm tonight with no profiling, i'll update you to how i get on (slower/faster)

Simon
Quote from Glenn67 :Currently it is not good because if anyone uses manual clutch (G25 users) they will be under constant suspision of using a macro to gain advantage.

Aha,,,problem there Glenn...If anybody can write a Logitech macro for me that allows me to use my G25 clutch pedal and change gear with my H-shifter in less than 0.1 seconds, with 100% accuracy (no missed gears!) I will be VERY HAPPY!!!
Unfortunately, this would also involve some sort of hardware link with my brain, central nervous system and muscles; not to mention some implants to increase the efficiency of my hand movements.
As I can't seem to find this sort of stuff on e-bay or e-buyer, I will just have to assume that those using clutch PLUS shifter are not getting an advantage, although JUST using a clutch may be...although most people can press a button with their thumb a lot faster than they can press a pedal with their foot,

Is this a cheat?
(625 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG