The online racing simulator
Well said Aceracer, i am so glad you are in my team rather than against it

Do me a favour, Add [CD] Aceracer to you profile to show you are proud to be with us.

And "Do it right now" which sort of means "when you like"

Now all what you said has a serious flaw and that is who says it.

You have a spanish wife and you are german but i think the following rules apply in all countries.

When your wife says "ahora mismo" or "Get off that bloody computer game", this has the same meaning in spanish, german, french and english and it refers "right this second"

Eg. in my house the words "I need the computer to bid on ebay" means "right this second, if not faster", as bids are timed to the milli-second

Where as if i was to say "Can i go back on LFS, i have a league race starting" this has the real meaning of "will you be finished in an hour or two, sweetheart"
Quote from Biohazard :aceracer is the first spaniard actually posting something useful in this thread.

oh, and the first one not desperately trying to justify the use of clutch-macros too.

Oh, sorry if I only wrote crap, I tried to clarify a couple of things that was not 100% correct
Comon people
Ask your self: Why didn't Scawen do a clutch that is as fast as with that "mod" ? Why???
In LFS there is a way to but autoclutch and you found a way to autoclutch faster than LFS do... Yea I call that a cheat
Stop comparing to thing like putting 250 degrees in a wheel because the difference is that LFS gives us that option! That would be a cheat if LFS putted the wheel at 900degrees and with an external programm we changed that option and putted 250 degrees.

Actually Scawen can't do anything against this so if you think it's unfair don't use it, if you don't care use it
Quote from Sir moi 407 :Actually Scawen can't do anything against this so if you think it's unfair don't use it, if you don't care use it

Removal of button clutch as an option is the only solution really.
I'm sure they will find a way to make the computer think that a button is an axe
But that's true: no one uses clutch button
Quote from Biohazard :aceracer is the first spaniard actually posting something useful in this thread.

oh, and the first one not desperately trying to justify the use of clutch-macros too.

edit: oh well, damn it.
will leave that post so you all can point and laugh.

And not only spaniards
Quote :Do me a favour, Add [CD] Aceracer to you profile to show you are proud to be with us.

Yes Boss! Done, proudly!

Indeed, when she says "ahora mismo" she means within a delay so short it can't be measured by anything available on this planet.

Then I reply: "Si, ahora mismo" - which usually means by the time I really do disconnect I'm in major trouble already ... or in an ideal scenario she fell asleep before I did and I can play all night

I wonder if that's a cheat? It's definitely not sportsmanlike behaviour, lol

[CD]aceracer
Quote from diablo21 :As i've been saying before...

I hope you understand that the script won't give him a second advantage. It's just him being faster (and this is not given by the script).

Bonk. I know that mate.. Don't think I'm an idiot. But what he showed was two people with not an auto clutch out infront

The main reason why it's faster is because the clutch engages and disengages in less distance than the auto, therefore you don't lose as much speed. It's almost exact same as what I'm going to race irl. There's two types of gearbox, the synchro box and the 'dogbox'. The synchro is pretty much standard, you have to engage clutch to shift, lift of the gas then release clutch again. The dogbox you don't even have to use clutch, you just have to lift off then bang the next gear in. There is up to .5 - 1 second a lap to be made up with a dogbox, depending on the track, the only problem is; they cost over $5k. On the data we were using, the dogbox would engage the next gear in about 35-40ft, whereas the synchro it would take you around 80+ft to shift up gears. That's a huge advantage.
What I'm saying is that the dogbox vs synchro is a similar situation to the auto vs macro clutch, the only difference is, is that the auto vs macro is more of a reputation thing, and more objective, whereas the dogbox is legal and just comes down to money. They are also similar because the dogbox lasts longer - as does the macro clutch (it keeps the clutch cooler because the clutch spends less time engaged).

I really think that it's just an opinion thing, and that this whole thread is just years of people building up their anger about the clutch then finally letting it all out in this thread

Anyway, happy racing, see you all on the track sometime
Quote from Sir moi 407 :Comon people Ask your self: Why didn't Scawen do a clutch that is as fast as with that "mod" ? Why???

Ah but it is configurable to be just as fast without a macro (it can be done with keyboard, joystick, mouse any controller), that's the thing...

All the macro does is enable you to set one key press to equal two key presses. For example on your keyboard by default LFS has c programed for clutch s for up gear and x for down gear. If you go to options and set button control rate to 10 in LFS then when you want to change up a gear you press s and c simultaneously it will change gear just as fast as a recroded macro. Obviously it's not as easy to press two buttons as it is to press one, so some have chosen to use the inbuilt functions of the logitec software to program two key press to one button. So the logitech software is not allowing the altra fast gear changes it is LFS that allows the altrafast gear change by enabling you to set button conrtol rate to 10.

The logetch software can't force LFS to do anything that is not already supported in LFS.

And I'm not complaining about the 240deg thing, I am merly using it to illustrate a point.
Quote :All the macro does is enable you to set one key press to equal two key presses.

That is an external option not an LFS one... What I said is still true
Quote from Sir moi 407 :That is an external option not an LFS one... What I said is still true

Yes but it doesn't allow you to do it faster than you can do it within LFS, it just allows you to do it easier. Abit like using a wheel is easier than using the mouse to steer. So it somewhat reduces the cheating charge no? As I said before it can best be described as an exploit, and I'd be very suprised if a solution to stop this exploit can't be engineered from within LFS as several have previously suggested. All it would need is to reduce the max button control rate configurable within LFS for the clutch to a more "fair" level and the problem is solved.
Quote from [DUcK] :They are also similar because the dogbox lasts longer - as does the macro clutch (it keeps the clutch cooler because the clutch spends less time engaged).

Someone said earlier in the post that the macro clutch makes the clutch heat up faster. Later someone told me that it's not a good choice for races as clutch overheating become a real problem with macro clutch.

In one post someone said that having the clutch in a button is necessary in some situations for people that don't have a clutch pedal. Can anyone explain why? I didn't get what he said, and I have never used the clutch "manually" using a button/key, and I don't see in which situations I would need it.
Since we're using analogies: Take a game of "Street Fighter".

You can do all the combos manually.

Or you can record a macro for your joystick. Hit a button and it executes the combo for you.

It will do this quicker and more reliably. However it will only do what is allowed by the game: a sequence of putton pushes.

Cheat? Fair fighter?

Same with the button clutch macro. It only allows yu what the game allows itself. But faster and more reliably.

Cheat? Fair racer?

One thing is for sure, I prefer to fight/race humans rather than machines. But they can't do anything the game doesn't allow naturally either...

aceracer
Quote from Glenn67 :Yes but it doesn't allow you to do it faster than you can do it within LFS, it just allows you to do it easier. Abit like using a wheel is easier than using the mouse to steer. So it somewhat reduces the cheating charge no? As I said before it can best be described as an exploit, and I'd be very suprised if a solution to stop this exploit can't be engineered from within LFS as several have previously suggested. All it would need is to reduce the max button control rate configurable within LFS for the clutch to a more "fair" level and the problem is solved.

It's easier AND faster
Quote from Sir moi 407 :It's easier AND faster

Well so is using auto clutch and sequential shifting easier and faster than using a H pattern gear shifter and clutch pedal
Quote from RocksGt :This is not correct

We have a ~1 hour race every monday, and we use to be about 100 racers, so we have to make several divisions for everyone to race at the same hour and with people who makes similar times

So the automatic inscription system for the league works like this:

- You must have both a HL and an online time for the combination. If the HL it's not present, then your time for the inscription (not the qualy, just the inscription for sorting the divisions) is your onlime time * 2. If the online time it's not present then you will have a total time of 40 hours and then you'll apply for the last division. Anyway, your online time cannot be less than 99.6% of the HL for avoiding people taking cuts on chicanes or another "facilities"

- While people apply for the race during the week (at any time you can refresh your inscription time) the automatic system is balancing the divisions to assure that all divisions will have about the same amount of racers. Must say that if you race one week in first division, the next week you can race in another division, it just depends on your inscription time (HL + online as explained above)

- Monday at 20:15 pm the inscription is closed and the conditions (weather and ilumination) and the pass is setted for the race. At 22:15 the qualy is on. Every racer must enter the server assigned for his division an make a 15 minutes qualy. 22:30 qualy is off, 5 minutes to visit the bath and cigar time and at 22:35 the race starts

- At the end of the race both qualy and race replays must be uploaded to our FTP and via LFS-Stats the results are obtained and published at the web (usually on tuesday morning).

I hope I've explained it clear, sorry for my english

yeah i understand,we had similiar,HL made it which server u will race A,B,C.. etc and then online qualy made your race position.
This is an external application that is used specifically to gain an advantage within LFS.

It's a cheat, imo.
Quote from MaKaKaZo :Turning smoke/dirt option to minimum in rally races to have a better view.

That's BS... the fps play a big role here
Quote from Glenn67 :Well so is using auto clutch and sequential shifting easier and faster than using a H pattern gear shifter and clutch pedal

I'm repeating the same thing
LFS gives us these options (sequential shifting + autoclutch) but this thing is an EXTERNAL application that makes you go faster in LFS.
And that, I call cheating
Maybe a "legal cheat" but a cheat
Quote from MaKaKaZo :Someone said earlier in the post that the macro clutch makes the clutch heat up faster. Later someone told me that it's not a good choice for races as clutch overheating become a real problem with macro clutch.

In one post someone said that having the clutch in a button is necessary in some situations for people that don't have a clutch pedal. Can anyone explain why? I didn't get what he said, and I have never used the clutch "manually" using a button/key, and I don't see in which situations I would need it.

Using a macro causes teh clutch to heat up less than normal autoclutch, because the macro changes gear to much faster there is less slipping of the clutch during gear changes which just means less heat.

So with cars like the FZR i'm pretty sure with a macro you can flat shift all the time and have no heat problems, when with autoclutch you have to lift on gearchanges or your clutch will overheat.

On the topic of is it or isn't it cheating, it is, your taking an unfair advantage over your opponents. About two years ago I used the button clutch for XFG at blackwood because "everyone" done it, it gave less advantage back then and on every shift I would have to press the clutch at the right time, so it was faster when you done it properly but now when everyone is just setting up a macro it's just retarded. They are shifting in the same way as we are, nothing more nothing less, yet they are gaining up to half a second a lap....

People who use it are just weak and desperate, end of.
Quote from Bawbag :Using a macro causes teh clutch to heat up less than normal autoclutch, because the macro changes gear to much faster there is less slipping of the clutch during gear changes which just means less heat.

Have you actually checked this or are you talking just out of "what the physhics should be"? Because two people who have used the macro have already told me that with the macro clutch the temp gets higher. I'm not going to test it anyway.

And now I ask again why would someone need manual clutch in a button. In what circumstances is that useful?
The only use I can think of having the manual clutch is bump starting the car, the other reason I thought of was holding the clutch in on the start line and putting the car into first gear, though you don't even need to have manual clutch on in order to do this.

As for the temperatures, I trust the one person who told me that it helps the clutch temperature as he is not as dumb as he seems, and yes he done his testing with it.
Just to reiterate it, on the fbm it is a disadvantage (probably no more than .1-.2 secs) and it heats the clutch up badly if you dont do a extended lift every change, my situation is probably unique though as im using it to save my foot.

with my clutch 'macro' i can neither get a faster change or a flat change or a reliable change over anyone else. If the fast button clutch system is removed all i will do is shorten my gas pedal throw even further to compensate, so it doesnt matter to me if its there or not i will adapt.

Of course for the h shift cars i think it would definately be considered 'cheeky' as minimum and unfair at worse, i think if scawen just stops the button clutch speed (engauge speed, leave disengauge for anti-stall) a little it would combat the problem straight away

Simon

Is this a cheat?
(625 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG