The online racing simulator
Crash Damage
(81 posts, started )
Quote from faster111 :well am hopeing that this damge where bits fall of your car comes in this update.

ehehe
and it still hasnt come :P
Quote from IKHAM :Hmm. Personally as a newbie, i think the damage levels are pretty much spot on. Sure it isn't realistic, but the developers must think about all those new players.

In case if someone is about to agree with this...

Hell no! :arge:
The damage is too less in Lfs. I hate it when i drive clearly and see people crashed the wall such times and they are able to hold my Speed.

Thats nor real.
Like to see Oiltemp, Breaktemp, Watertemp and more hazard on the cars would be nice. Its more Strategic to drive then safety and little slower.

Give Scawen Time.....
white smoke coming from under the hood when clutch is overheated and broken radiator after a hard impact to front That would be enough.
Quote from frokki :In case if someone is about to agree with this...

Hell no! :arge:

LOL spot on. I guess crashing into a wall at 180mph and having a little deformation is spot on.
The only crash/damage improvement I could suggest is with the red/white barriers. Instead of being fixed and seemingly unmovable, they should move and be reset the same as cones or tire-stacks. That would keep the realism top-notch, in my eyes. Nothing is more frustrating than barely tapping a barricade and spinning out 38 times from the recoil.

I think even the force in which the cars bounce off the barricades is accurate, but the simple fact that they're immobile places all the force against the car, which is what skyrockets them off the course when they're hit. If the barricade shared some of the impact rebound and moved in the opposite direction, ideal realism would be met.

Simply my two-cents worth.
Yes, Im against this, it would be more realistic, but I would prefer a more realistic racing simulator than a full on real life racing, we might get that eventually.
If only there was some kind of auto-search feature enabled which would use your topic to check for similar existing ones...

Yes it's been discussed to death. The current damage system is a first-stage. Scawen has already said he's going to be working on breakable parts next and hopefully we'll see a limit to how stretched the bodywork can be around the same time.
Quote from Dajmin :If only there was some kind of auto-search feature enabled which would use your topic to check for similar existing ones...

there is one... it works for me. but only for new threads, not replying to existing ones.
Yes I know. I was more being sarcastic at the expense of the OP, but never mind
I'd think that making a decent looking damage experience would take quite a while to develop, if it isn't half-assed.

Solution : Don't crash
The one at the moment is a nice placeholder i think...
But maybe, when they implement a more complex damage model, the cars might have flexible chassis? =D (too much Rigs of Rods crashing sorry)
Quote from Calvinaquino :
But maybe, when they implement a more complex damage model, the cars might have flexible chassis?

I'm thinking so. Basic flex / deformation isn't that difficult to model, and is needed to properly simulate crash damage, especially damage to the frame itself.

A huge side benefit of that would be that LFS could finally have karts.

Karts + a couple kart tracks or autocross layouts =
Quote from Lateralus :Basic flex / deformation isn't that difficult to model

But it takes a lot of processing power. Ever played RoR? It requires a 9 billion core CPU just to get 30fps.
I got RoR =D i know what you mean... 30fps? you must have a NASA CPU.. i get 12 max. well about the processing power, i think in lfs it may not be that heavy because RoR simulates flexible parts, air resistance, water physics, i mean, its almost a complete engine sandbox ready to anything. and think it can eb optimized further. Knowing scawen's desire for perfection i think he will fine tune everything if ite ocmes one day.
It would be more realistic if we had smashed car parts ie. glass, bumper, wing mirror, or even a tyre! just lying on the track and also when cones and tyre stacks are hit it should stay hit.
how about when u have a heavy crash the door opens or the driver gos flying out of the car lol and maybe tyres should explode it a bit more easily in a race and then the car gos rolling or spinning.
Driver goes flying out the window? Been watching too much Arab Drifting ... motorsport has five point safety harnesses for a reason.
IMO, the most important update damage wise is the suspension and wheel(rim) damage. The reason for this is to force people to be more concerned about running over curbs at 90mph (namely FB Green) and worry if their suspension will collapse the first time rather than 50 laps of hitting the same curbs.

Not only would hitting high curbs at high speed damage the suspension, but would also damage the steering column, the toe and camber, the dampers, the rims, etc.

At the moment(from now and the next patch) IMO, parts falling off is not that necessary compared to these things.
i agree and they should do something about those red and white barriers if u havent noticed if u just drive into them u go flying like 50ft into the sky.
i think the deformation of the cars and the way the wheels buckle is very good, but parts falling off the cars would be great, it would be like GRID!

i think that the programmers should start off with things like paint scratches and bumpers falling off or trailing along the floor, then go for wheels, doors, bonnets and maybe even boots, coming off.

(( post #48 , by brandons48 .. what where the chances..))
Quote from brandons48 :bonnets and maybe even boots, coming off

Like a good ole Wild West orgy - yeehaw.
Imagine yourself fighting for the 1st. As you're getting near the opponent, you feel that your car is on the lim... no more. you just borke the front right suspension dude...

Or maybe...

Image playing in demo servers, only to see the festival of flying parts and scratches that will certanly happen on t1. The good side of it, it will be cool to watch...
parts coming off cars equals physics, which then equals a performance hit. and lfs is a system hog as it is.

Crash Damage
(81 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG