The online racing simulator
ive found a paradox in reality
(49 posts, started )
Either your mind's eye needs contact lenses, or you need to reconsider your appreciation of geometry.
Lerts makes me confused
Man I want to experience some brief time in Lerts eyes. It'd be a trip.
His mind's eye multiplies instead of dividing. I want some of that.

Zooming doesn't make angles smaller, it makes the focus narrower. 1 degree is still one degree, it's just that you see more of that 1 degree. You move just the same amount, it's just that it flashes by faster.
it's just that you see more of that 1 degree. You move just the same amount, it's just that it flashes by faster."

thats exactly what it happens you got it pretty well

but imagine you are in a planetrium like dome that represent a virtual reality, if its properly done you wont be able to tell the difference with reality and vr

but when you zoom the moon in the planetarium that has a geometry that if seen from the center looks totally real you can see it extend from your very right to your very left

and as you pointed out the only way this real more than 360º fov has to happen is to flash it faster, 10x magnification 10x the faster it flashes

but now put all your sorrounding together in your minds eye, it can take as many spheres times as magnification
an optical illusion is not a paradox
Your 'mind's eye' isn't seeing more than 360° through 360° though, you are either just distorting the rest of the 360° that you've not zoomed into, or you're ignoring the bits that don't matter. In short: You're talking rubbish.
Quote from lerts :if you pan the telescope in your minds eye the field of view can be 10 spheres

Stop using a kaleidoscope to look at the moon then.
Quote from lerts :yes but when you look at the moon magnified it has a bigger APPARENT size and if you pan the telescope in your minds eye the field of view can be 10 spheres, since just one moon can take 10º so the 360 moons that fit in the horizon can take those much spheres

as someone pointed out our field of view is 360º back forth left right all is clear but it gets confusing with magnification

a 1000x amplified moon could go from your left to your right in your minds eye, 180º

its all in the minds eye, the memory you have of what you see through the telescope AS YOU PAN

i insist the key of my idea is not what you see but the construction in your mind of what you see as you pan

That is not Field of view you are talking about, thats the brain.
Here's a REALLY exciting "paradox"!

If I stood upon open ground, on a clear day, my ~180deg. FOV would presumably allow me to see from the horizon on my left side, to the horizon on my right side. Because of the curvature of Earth, this horizon-to-horizon distance seems, by calculation, to be ~10km.

My computer monitor is ~15inches wide and occupies perhaps a 30deg. FOV when I'm sitting in a normal viewing position. However, if I move my face right up to the screen, my computer monitor then occupies ~180deg. FOV.

This means that my computer monitor has mysteriously expanded from 15inches wide, to 10km wide. And yet this is much bigger than my whole house! How is it possible that my 10km wide computer monitor still fits in my house, when I press my face up against it?!!!
Quote from David33 :Here's a REALLY exciting "paradox"!

If I stood upon open ground, on a clear day, my ~180deg. FOV would presumably allow me to see from the horizon on my left side, to the horizon on my right side. Because of the curvature of Earth, this horizon-to-horizon distance seems, by calculation, to be ~10km.

My computer monitor is ~15inches wide and occupies perhaps a 30deg. FOV when I'm sitting in a normal viewing position. However, if I move my face right up to the screen, my computer monitor then occupies ~180deg. FOV.

This means that my computer monitor has mysteriously expanded from 15inches wide, to 10km wide. And yet this is much bigger than my whole house! How is it possible that my 10km wide computer monitor still fits in my house, when I press my face up against it?!!!

Aha, the answer is simple, with two possible explanations:

1. You are a drug taking weirdo
2. You live in the TARDIS

Judging by your posting quality, I don't think it's 1, so on that basis, can I come round to your house and have a look at it?
It's all part of the flat earth conspiracy
I think you're all too hard on the guy :P
back on lerts idea....i think i get u man, it seems to me if u take in comparison model with planetarium, zooming the moon 10 or 1000 times would be the same like shrinking yourself 10 or 1000 times and getting near to the projection wall (or cieling) from your seat on the ground
am I right or am i right?

common thing of geniuses is they are often not understood properly
I see genius there.
So how close exactly does the Moon have to be, to be all around you?
Quote from breadfan :So how close exactly does the Moon have to be, to be all around you?

um...around you??
its kind of similar but a planetarium only looks real if you look from the center, the idea is zoom the moon till it takes 180º of fov or more, it would be the same than looking through a telescope
Quote from lerts :
i insist the key of my idea is not what you see but the construction in your mind of what you see as you pan

So basically you're trying to tell us that humans are capable of imagination?
yes the main point is that if we had photographic memory and panned the sky with a telescope the whole picture of what we just saw in our minds would fit several spheres

but im not sure a fov of 3600º is a contradiction
No, it would just fit a bigger, single sphere in your mind. Unless you're crazy.
lerts, you're thinking of it like each thing we "see in our minds eye" is a tangible photographic print. Zoom far in to the sky, take an infinite number of pictures while spinning in a circle, line them up side by side and yes, they will stretch further than we can see but:

Quote from tristancliffe :Your 'mind's eye' isn't seeing more than 360° through 360° though

We, lucky as we are to have imagination, can simply combine all those images that supposedly cover more than one sphere and squish them into our tiny little 360° reality by way of overlapping each image or memory with the next.
Quote from titanLS :We, lucky as we are to have imagination, can simply combine all those images that supposedly cover more than one sphere and squish them into our tiny little 360° reality.

There's no way you can see everything at once, though. What if something happens while you are turned away and panning elsewhere? Unless, of course you can do an exorcist head spin. Maybe lerts can do one of those exorcist head spin things?
Quote from wheel4hummer :What if something happens while you are turned away and panning elsewhere?

Then you'll miss it, but the image you have created in your head will still only fill a total of 360 degrees.
Quote :paradox

You're confusing visual angle with the apparent visual angle provided by a telescope. Although a telescope or microscope makes images large, it doesn't make the object larger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_angle

Quote :There's no way you can see everything at once, though.

Just need the combination of a fish eye lens and mirror, or any method that reduces a full spherical view into one that can be viewed by the eye, for example compression a full spherical view into virtual visual angle of 90 degrees. There would be an issue with objects jumping across from one edge of the view to the other.

ive found a paradox in reality
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG