The online racing simulator
tire temperature questions
(12 posts, started )
been playing around offline (i think i suck too much for online play still), and i had a few questions about tire temperatures...

while driving the formula v8 around, i noticed the tires get really cold (black) after a few laps to blackwood, but if i drive the sauber, they stay blue/green, or if i drove one of the road cars like the xfg, they would stay pretty green too...

how come the formula v8's tires get so cold? i'm using the race profile on all the cars (haven't tried making my own setup yet). what can i do to keep them warm, as driving laps doesn't seem to make them any warmer (like the other cars)...

thanks in advance for helping out this noob.
Softer compound / less pressure / more aggressive driving.
Quote from AndroidXP :Softer compound / less pressure / more aggressive driving.

i believe "race" already uses slick-4's on the f08 (unless that was the sauber, if so, then slick-3's)...

i'll try playing with the pressure... i'd drive more aggressive, but the lack of TC makes it hard to, without spinning out. (OTOH, the sauber can be spun out just as easily and it has TC).

cheers
Use R2 tires, they heat up faster (and have more grip).

I'm running 3 AI cars at the moment (with R2, R3 and R4 tires) and after 12 laps the R3's are just 90 degrees celcius on the inside, the outsides are just around 70 degrees
Same goes for the R4's, but they need a lot more temperature and are almost black.
The R2's are warmed up pretty good, front tires are actually overheating on the inside.
Quote from kingfag :Use R2 tires, they heat up faster (and have more grip).

I'm running 3 AI cars at the moment (with R2, R3 and R4 tires) and after 12 laps the R3's are just 90 degrees celcius on the inside, the outsides are just around 70 degrees
Same goes for the R4's, but they need a lot more temperature and are almost black.
The R2's are warmed up pretty good, front tires are actually overheating on the inside.

Thanks, I'll try changing tires first.
Just for clarification, R2 is the softest compound, R3 a medium one and R4 a hard compound. The softest compound in each class is generally considered as being used only for qualifying, as it's very easy to overheat them on longer stints. Be aware that some of the slower classes don't have R2-R4, but R1, R2 and R3 instead. The same principles as above apply to those.
Quote from AndroidXP :Just for clarification, R2 is the softest compound, R3 a medium one and R4 a hard compound. The softest compound in each class is generally considered as being used only for qualifying, as it's very easy to overheat them on longer stints. Be aware that some of the slower classes don't have R2-R4, but R1, R2 and R3 instead. The same principles as above apply to those.

Thanks for the clarification, I must have gotten it backwards.
Quote from bunder9999 :while driving the formula v8 around, i noticed the tires get really cold (black)

http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/D ... Tyre_temperature_.26_wear

Quote from Above Link :There are six areas in the diagram - three contact patches, the sidewalls and the air temperature. Each area goes from dark blue (cold) through green (ideal) and into red (overheated). There is also black, but that is only shown inside the tire after a blowout or puncture.

Not entirely true. Black is also shown on tyres that are far colder than their optimum temperature.
Quote from AndroidXP :Not entirely true. Black is also shown on tyres that are far colder than their optimum temperature.

I was just piecing together a deduction from the following facts:

1. FO8
2. New Driver
3. Track that does have a combination of turns = nearly impossible to get the tyres that much lower that optimum - even the s2 tyres are still blue at 40 degrees.

So unless the laps were done with 40km/h, the likelyhood of overheated rear tyres that have exploded is more probable.

Yours truly,

Sherlock

PS.
I naturally will probably be wrong about it - I am sure bunder9999 would of felt it if they were driving on flats.
TBH, I have never seen black tires in lfs, unless they are blown up. Dark blue is the darkest I've seen.
Quote from migf1 :TBH, I have never seen black tires in lfs, unless they are blown up. Dark blue is the darkest I've seen.

it might just be my tv... they aren't blown, but they are pretty darn dark.

edit: i've driven on flats, damn near impossible.

double edit: ok, so i've tried the r2's... i chewed through them pretty quick. tried the r3's, its a nice compromise. now if i could only keep myself from beaching it by bouncing off curbs (up my ride height? lose some downforce?) or misjudging TC. :bananadea

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG