The online racing simulator
I think Tristans idea was the most likely, because the track doesn't need to be that much longer.
Quote from Dajmin :That could be why the track designer was over.
They have just under 2 years to get it sorted, and I imagine facilities and space is the least of the potential issues.

Yea, I agree with that. I'm agreeing with most of the posts here.
Donnington is a brilliant track and doesn't need to be changed layout wise. Sure some gravel at the craner curves wouldn't hurt, just think in the wet, have a spin there and you are aiming to the old hairpin, in a modern Formula 1 car this wouldn't be so pretty. Other than that, the circuit is fine, other than it's slippery nature, but the DTM cars managed fine there, and the circuits they race on are mainly F1-used circuits anyway.
"New and improved" Donington = Wide like an autobahn, huge paved runoff areas, smooth, flat and boring.
That's the safety nerds for ya, love to ruin our viewing pleasure.....
Quote from Xaid0n :That's the safety nerds for ya, love to ruin our viewing pleasure.....

yeh, that track will be good as it is tbh, just improve the paddock

@Xaid0n: didnt know anyone on here played forgotten hope on here
ive meant to sign up for forgotten honour since the old BF1942 version but ive never got round to doing it..
Quote from Mazz4200 :It's far too early to say at the moment, but, another rumour floating around is Bernie himself is the mystery backer who's promised this 100m quid development money ! The owners are refusing to name this mystery person with all the dosh, so, you never know ?

Well he just hates the BRDC, so I wouldn't be surprised if he put a bit of his pocket money into Donington just to annoy them.

Quote from Mazz4200 :...Remember it's Tilke who'll be doing the job so, you just have to look at the 'new' Hockenheim to get some sort of idea of what he'll be doing. Apparently it was nice to walk around that track two, infact drivers were known to get lost for hours in the woods if they broke down at the far end of the circuit

Yeah but Hockenheim had massive problems for spectators so it couldn't really stay as it was. Donington doesn't need to change much, it's more about the surrounding infrastructure than the track itself.

Quote from Mazz4200 :And 95 in an MX5 through the Craner Curves sounds like a bit of a squeaky bum moment if you ask me But then just being seen in an MX5 would be too much embarrassment for me to take

Well, that's your loss. I'd go back tomorrow if I could

Quote from Crommi :"New and improved" Donington = Wide like an autobahn, huge paved runoff areas, smooth, flat and boring.

I seriously doubt Donington will ever be flat.
Quote from durbster :Yeah but Hockenheim had massive problems for spectators so it couldn't really stay as it was. Donington doesn't need to change much, it's more about the surrounding infrastructure than the track itself.

Isn't that the same thing?
Not really. The problem at Hockenheim was the miles and miles of forest that went right up to the barriers - no room for spectators, banks or grandstands. Unfortunately the bulldozers won, and the track was ruined for the sake of burger stands (or Wurst stands I suppose).
Quote from (-Mark-) :looks like spa stuck on :P

It does? Pure coincidence if it does, I've no idea what spa layout looks like.

It wasn't a serious design really, I just extended the track adding stuff I thought would be interesting to drive as I went. Looking back it does look rather long, Donnington's not that short a track to begin with.

CEO of Donnington just announced on the F1 coverage that the updated track will be entirely within the current infield.
Well, theres talk of adding infield and some craner curve-esque corners. Also they aren't touching the first part of the track, so cheer up...
Quote from Shotglass :like hunaudieres + mulsanne?

I can't take you serious with the hoff soap...

On topic: Hockenheim is one of the best examples on how to ruin a track, and I fear Donnington will go the same way downhill. But for what it's worth... if they ever loose the F1 in Donnington again there will be already a huge parking area for the new local super market...
Quote from three_jump :Hockenheim is one of the best examples on how to ruin a track, and I fear Donnington will go the same way downhill.

Agreed, and that was the point i was trying to make.

Spectator access is an irrelevant issue. Large areas of Spa and Monza are still inaccessible to the public. And i don't believe it was the main reason for butchering Hockenheim.

F1 now has certain safety standards that must be adhered to. So, unless its a street circuit, large gravel traps and tarmac run off areas are required. Unfortunately Donnington will get them whether we like it or not

On a side not, the CEO of Donnington had a very brief interview at the GP this weekend. And he did say the section from Redgate to Coppice (i think it was ?) wouldn't be changed too much. But an extra infield section would be added- including another Craner Curves type section- to add some extra length.

Will fire up the Gimp again to see how it might look...
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I love Donnington, thats why I don't want F1 to ruin it! Silverstone is perfect for F1 already, and if that silver haired midget bastard stopped lining his own pockets it wouldn't even be at risk.

Succinctly put. He really is a tiny weasel of a man with interests which are purely selfish.

And he tries all that spin rubbish - oh we should be grateful for even having a British F1 GP Aye right Bernie, try removing that one from the rota!

Bollocks to the wee sh!te, the sooner he gets flattened by a tonka truck the better.

Tilke is on his last warning as well, any more of his p!sh and I'll be over there to confiscate his drawing board and "Ladybird Junior Race Track Designer" book.
Im very unhappy about this decision made. Silverstone maybe isnt the best for facilities as theyre all mobile ones brought in for the race, but the 2 years ive been there, rain or sunshine, its just been excellent. Camping in the village of silverstone made it even more great.

Ill be sad to see it go . Donnington is closer to home, but i just liked the trip down there.

BRING IT BACK TO SILVERSTONE!
Scan from Autosport:

Might be just bollocks though.
Quote from deggis :Scan from Autosport:

Might be just bollocks though.

Doesn't look very inspiring, Tilke at his best.......
I suppose they could always add new track somewhere but also... couldnt they just swap the pits over. Make the new complex on the inside of the track? Would make more sense. Then have stands where the old pits are.

More room. Just need bridge/tunnels to middle of track i suppose
Quote from HVS5b :Doesn't look very inspiring, Tilke at his best.......

It's not very creative, but I think this is the best Tilke could come up with in terms of not totally destroying the original character of the track...

Of course it follows his usual: tricky corner with long straight following style...

But I think they will fit the usual parking lots as well on the track and make it 50m wide...:chairs:
#71 - robt
Quote from tinvek :ironic in one way as i remember the outcry when silverstone gained the brit gp each year rather than sharing with brands hatch. for what it's worth i always prefered the brands gp to silverstone back then as at the time silverstone was very flat and with little variety in its corners.

The old Silverstone was a very fast flowing track that although flat as a pancake was up there with the best in the world, try the 1988 rF layout or even better with the old Woodcote, watch some onboard videos of the old circuit and come back saying it is dull and flat. The modern circuit is dull and flat with lots of dull corners connecting the brilliance that is Bridge and the run from Copse to Beckets.

Quote from sinbad :I'm afraid the circuit will be butchered a bit to accomodate the inevitably much higher speed crashes.

Donnington should be plenty safe enough, it is safe enough for Moto GP and the only real dangerous spots are cars spinning at the upper Craner and crossing at the lower Craner (grass is still far safer than gravel there though), violent rolls (very rare) from cars digging in at the Craners (more a worry for trackdays/cars with limited roll protection) or going off where the bridge comes in at the Old Hairpin (the bridge isn't used and removing it would be a shame but wouldn't effect infrastructure or the circuit at all).

I also don't understand why F1 tracks need to be so long, I personally would rather they ran the National circuit, the whole Melbourne Loop is a horrible bit of circuit design only there to make it longer and it makes the paddock stupidly long and narrow. I see no reason why they can't run F1 cars on a track with 45 second laps, if one of the best circuits in the world happens to be rather short then what is the possible explination for adding a pointless extra length?
Quote from ajp71 :The old Silverstone was a very fast flowing track that although flat as a pancake was up there with the best in the world, try the 1988 rF layout or even better with the old Woodcote, watch some onboard videos of the old circuit and come back saying it is dull and flat. The modern circuit is dull and flat with lots of dull corners connecting the brilliance that is Bridge and the run from Copse to Beckets.

Donnington should be plenty safe enough, it is safe enough for Moto GP and the only real dangerous spots are cars spinning at the upper Craner and crossing at the lower Craner (grass is still far safer than gravel there though), violent rolls (very rare) from cars digging in at the Craners (more a worry for trackdays/cars with limited roll protection) or going off where the bridge comes in at the Old Hairpin (the bridge isn't used and removing it would be a shame but wouldn't effect infrastructure or the circuit at all).

I also don't understand why F1 tracks need to be so long, I personally would rather they ran the National circuit, the whole Melbourne Loop is a horrible bit of circuit design only there to make it longer and it makes the paddock stupidly long and narrow. I see no reason why they can't run F1 cars on a track with 45 second laps, if one of the best circuits in the world happens to be rather short then what is the possible explination for adding a pointless extra length?

Perhaps it simply makes it harder to deal with accidents/safety car situations. Or maybe they just feel qualifying sessions would be overcrowded, inevitably resulting in more penalties for impeding drivers etc etc, or that back markers would be lapped too frequently.
I'm not sure, but obviously there would be a minimum, so I understand why they might (perhaps abitrarily) make it whatever it is.
Quote from ajp71 :I also don't understand why F1 tracks need to be so long, I personally would rather they ran the National circuit, the whole Melbourne Loop is a horrible bit of circuit design only there to make it longer and it makes the paddock stupidly long and narrow. I see no reason why they can't run F1 cars on a track with 45 second laps, if one of the best circuits in the world happens to be rather short then what is the possible explination for adding a pointless extra length?

That's a damn good point. Why don't they run shorter tracks? I can understand why the super-long tracks were phased out due to the difficulties of providing adequate marshal/fire/first aid coverage, but I think a GP with a fast, 45 second lap would actually be very lively!
short track + F1 cars = High speed M25

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG