The online racing simulator
Quote from ajp71 :Donnington should be plenty safe enough, it is safe enough for Moto GP

saftey requirements are vastly different though
a gravel trap works wonders when it comes to stoping a bike and a human... a more or less flat bottomed car is a different story
Quote from deggis :Scan from Autosport:

Might be just bollocks though.

That's it ? WTF is all the fuss about. This Tilke guy is a knob :thumbsdow:ashamed:
Lol at the key. :rolleyes:
Quote from HVS5b :Doesn't look very inspiring, Tilke at his best.......

Actually in my opinion it removes the only real bad corner on the circuit.
Also, remember that's going to be a down hill section in to the new corner.

Personally I like it, keeps the original circuit untouched and adds some length, but still with the option to keep the two original layouts for other racing formulae.
Quote from Gills4life :That's it ? WTF is all the fuss about. This Tilke guy is a knob :thumbsdow:ashamed:
Lol at the key. :rolleyes:

Why is everyone against Hermann Tilke.... The best tracks weren't 'designed' they were just a connection of roads, or something that was made before it was used as a racing circuit, an outer edge of an airfield and many other scenario's. Good tracks, cannot be created, Personally, i like driving Hermann Tilkes Hockenheimring but the best tracks aren't touched by any designer, Spa is a connection of what WERE real roads (as an example of one of the best tracks in F1)

So basically, it's a tough deal to be a track designer but then again. You either have a track thats nice to drive but no overtaking, a track thats horrid to drive but much overtaking or a balance of both. I believe it really is a hard thing to do and Hockenheim Ring for one, I enjoy driving and overtaking is possible there.

Although I can see his pattern, such as a long straight with a tight hairpin but look at France(Magny-Cours), and Bahrain, thats proof that these tight hairpins work for overtaking, which is what tracks are created around these days as Formula 1 cars cannot overtake each other anymore
Meh, I am sure you are right BlueFlame .. I am just so pissed at that grey haired umpa lumpa who only cares about his monies Couldnt contain myself, sorry
Quote from Gills4life :Meh, I am sure you are right BlueFlame .. I am just so pissed at that grey haired umpa lumpa who only cares about his monies Couldnt contain myself, sorry

It's not just you, it's everyone, I'm 100% certain, theres only so much a track designer CAN do. Saftey regulations, Speed Restrictions, Crowd Speculation, Possible Overtaking sections. Too much of these reasons, make the tracks too open and... Weird looking. So in effect. You are making it harder to overtake anyway....

But I'm sure everyone here agrees that the worst tracks are the ones with alot of sweeping corners. These tracks SUCK.
The thing is, that tosser Ecclestone is basically saying to be thankful that the British have a GP at all and to be happy that atleast we will still have one. There may be a lack of facilities at Silverstone, but it is more than capable of hosting the bloody thing, which it has done for years and is a great track for Formula One. He just wants more fecking money :arge:
Quote from STROBE :Why don't they run shorter tracks?

Remember the A1 Ring? Tilke designed that, too.
Quote from Shotglass :saftey requirements are vastly different though
a gravel trap works wonders when it comes to stoping a bike and a human... a more or less flat bottomed car is a different story

The Craner Curves only have a nominal gravel trap to stop cars flying across the exit of the old hairpin, normally the biggest offs only end up on the grass which there is lots and lots of, the best way to stop cars and bikes without adding silly tarmac areas or adding gravel traps (which aren't good for cars to enter sideways going downhill at nearly 200mph). Driver safety is no longer a major issue in F1, Donnington has bigger run offs than Silverstone and there are no areas where deep tyre walls couldn't be added if they were felt necessesary. Adding catch fencing is straight forward and is a nominal cost.
That proposed layout kills the best place to view Donnington from as a spectator. In club racing being on that rise where the new loop/new pit complex is gives you a view of the whole track save for the start, T1/T2 where a badly placed billboard blocks line of sight.

I do think it's funny that they're building over the brand new moto X track with the new loop though, that one didnt last long ;p

Oh regarding Herman Tilke, what he does do very well is plan the facilities and developments into the space available, he has that touch for efficiency that the German stereotye is famous for, as Donnington doesnt need much alteration to the actual circuit he might actually be the right person for the job?
I was always sort of hoping that when Silverstone lost the GP it would go to Brands again. With all the money they put in for A1, DTM and WTCC the facilities got much better at the circuit.

Oh well, at least there's some hills.
Quote from spookthehamster :I was always sort of hoping that when Silverstone lost the GP it would go to Brands again. With all the money they put in for A1, DTM and WTCC the facilities got much better at the circuit.

Oh well, at least there's some hills.

It's too dangerous for Formula 1 there is not enough run off in T1 for a start, if you lock up, your heading for tyres within 20 meters and the exit of the corner is odd too, for formula 1 cars anyway.
#89 - JCTK
Quote from Gills4life :The thing is, that tosser Ecclestone is basically saying to be thankful that the British have a GP at all and to be happy that atleast we will still have one. There may be a lack of facilities at Silverstone, but it is more than capable of hosting the bloody thing, which it has done for years and is a great track for Formula One. He just wants more fecking money :arge:

nah he just wants to screw the BRDC after so many years of trying to get them to build a new paddock...

Bernie aren't THAT bad, at least he decided to purchase the ONLY good track built by Tilke (Turkey) to save that from going into bankruptcy.
If nothing else comes of this, perhaps the world will remember that it is spelt Donington.
Quote from durbster :If nothing else comes of this, perhaps the world will remember that it is spelt Donington.

I always thought it was double N and i thought on some games like GTR, that it was just a bad translation that it was only 1 n :P haha
Quote from durbster :If nothing else comes of this, perhaps the world will remember that it is spelt Donington.

As it's in the thread title (correctly), there's no excuse. That puts it on the window title, and on the reply to thread page etc...
Oopsy looks like i was the first one in the thread to spell it with two N's. Perhaps i'm the one to blame for the confusion.

For the uninitiated, don't put too much sway on anything i write, i seldom know what the hell i'm talking about. And only newbies and imbeciles tend to read my posts anyway.
Quote from Mazz4200 : Oopsy looks like i was the first one in the thread to spell it with two N's. Perhaps i'm the one to blame for the confusion.

For the uninitiated, don't put too much sway on anything i write, i seldom know what the hell i'm talking about. And only newbies and imbeciles tend to read my posts anyway.

Ah nuts, I just read that

You're not entirely to blame for the incorrect spelling. I've seen a signpost that got it wrong.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG