The online racing simulator
LFSForum - Search limitations
(16 posts, started )
I've been doing lots of searching on the forum lately, and have been getting increasingly irritated that words less than four characters are not included in the search. This means numbers and short (important words) are omitted. Is there any chance of this being changed; as I think it would help more people than just me.
#2 - Jakg
I think its a vB setting that can't be changed (but i DO hope i'm wrong as it pisses me off sooooo much).

Go to Google and type "Site:LFSForum.net" [search terms]" to bypass it.
Quote from Jakg :I think its a vB setting that can't be changed (but i DO hope i'm wrong as it pisses me off sooooo much).

Nice solution; thanks!
#4 - Bean0
It's a vB setting that can be changed.

There's far too many 3 letter useless words though, the search index becomes huge and slower.

You can manually add words to be included, such as the 3 letter car abbreviations.
It's kinda sad that Google is better for searching the forum than the forum's own search engine is.
hte 3 letter thing means I can't search for FXO or any other of the cars. if I type UF1 setup, it will give me every page with the setup on it and not UF1. the google thing is a good workaround though.
Could there be an exception for common words to be missed out? Or maybe just exceptions for all of the LFS car models would be easier.

I've noticed this a few times myself and found it really frustrating.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :I've been doing lots of searching on the forum lately, and have been getting increasingly irritated that words less than four characters are not included in the search. This means numbers and short (important words) are omitted. Is there any chance of this being changed; as I think it would help more people than just me.

hmm 3 char words are and were accepted. Just tried it, works.
It's just the 1 and 2 character words you can not use.
Yep, three letter words are searchable. Just obviously not the popular ones like "the" or "and" ect.
Quote from Victor :hmm 3 char words are and were accepted. Just tried it, works.
It's just the 1 and 2 character words you can not use.

Strange, because I typed the word "two" a couple of days ago and it didn't like it.

EDIT I did it just now and it wasn't accepted either. Maybe "two" is put into the "common words" bracket. I just tried FXO and it worked
Probably two is too common and thus ignored.
Quote from Jakg :I think its a vB setting that can't be changed (but i DO hope i'm wrong as it pisses me off sooooo much).

That didn't work for me when I wanted to find a few terms.

DK
Quote from Jakg :Go to Google and type "Site:LFSForum.net" [search terms]" to bypass it.

Can you link me to an example of that? As when I try it I get this post as the only result.

Edit: aha, you have to do it the other way round:

search terms Site:domain.com
This is the nearest thread I can get to my problem so I'll post it here.

I searched for "new xr gtr model lights" and it doesn't search for this specific string of words but as if there were no quotation marks (i.e., it uses OR when it should use AND function). If a different pair of characters is used here for the AND function, could someone fill me in please? It's quite annoying that I can't find a simple picture of the new XRR model.
I went for posts because it's easier to find things that way in general (that may not be true here ).

The fourth hit was helpful, thanks

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG