The online racing simulator
Failing at C#
(20 posts, started )
Failing at C#
Now, I am trying to not fail at something for once, and that thing is C# . The thing is, for once, the program is doing the failing for me.

In plain english: When using MS Visual C# 2008, I get the attatched error message when I try to view Form1.cs in Designer view, As it says to do in the tutorial thing that I am following (How to: Create a C# Windows Forms Application)

Or am I doing everything so entirely wrong that I have caused programmers here to faint?

Help would be appreciated as to how I can fix this.
Attached images
Error.jpg
#2 - J@tko
Quote from JO53PHS :Or am I doing everything so entirely wrong that I have caused programmers here to feint?

wrong word there Joe? I think you mean faint!
You also fail at uploading images to the Internet.

.jpeg is your friend.
Stupid Paint.Net... Or stupid me? I didn't even realise it was a .png

Upping an jpeg...
Fail.

Send a PM to Sean (mcgas001) and Bob Smith and stuff maybe they will notice the thread then. :P.

Good luck on trying not to fail at something. Btw, you don't fail at everything. You certainly don't fail at failing. lol jk .
#6 - Woz
Quick question on the project. Is this one you have grabbed from somewhere else or a form you have constructed.

If is comes from somewhgere else its hard to say but they might have a copy of VS higher up the chain than yours and have assemblies you dont have access to, If you have constructed the form the question becomes what was the last thing you did before you got the error, this is normally the cause.
I did exactly as it said on the tuturial thingy

Quote : To create a C# Windows application
  1. On the File menu, click New Project.
    The New Project dialog box appears. This dialog box lists the different default application types that Visual C# Express Edition can create.
  2. Select Windows Forms Application as your project type.
  3. Change the name of your application to Web Browser.
  4. Click OK.

Visual C# Express Edition creates a new folder for your project that is named after the project title, and then displays your new Windows Form, titled Form1 in Designer view. You can switch between this view and Code view at any time by right-clicking the design surface or code window and then clicking View Code or View Designer

The Windows Form you see in Designer view is a visual representation of the window that will open when your application is opened. In Designer view, you can drag various controls from the Toolbox onto the form. These controls are not really "live"; they are just images that are convenient to move around on the form into a precise location.
After you have dropped a control onto the form, Visual C# works behind the scenes to create the code that will cause the real control to be positioned correctly when the program is run. This source code is in a file that is generally nested out of view. You can see this file in Solution Explorer, which is named Form1.designer.cs, if you expand Form1.cs.

5. If you are in Code view, switch to Designer view by right-clicking the code window and then clicking View Designer. Now change the size of the Windows Form.

a) Click the lower-right corner of the Windows Form.

b) When the pointer becomes a double-headed arrow, drag the corner of the form until it is at least as wide and as deep as a quarter of your screen.Because this is the window in which Web pages will be displayed, you don't want it to be too cramped.

That's not the full thing, but what I did up until I got the error
Well carry on with the tutorial and maybe the error goes away .
I can't carry on with the tutorial because this error comes up when I try to carry on with it
Ignore the error, it doesn't stop you from coding!
But I can't do what the tutorial tells me to do with the error there!
Why can't you? It doesn't stop me with an error!
I can't switch to designer view, because it gives that error, therefore I can't carry on :S

Quote :
5. If you are in Code view, switch to Designer view by right-clicking the code window and then clicking View Designer. Now change the size of the Windows Form.

#14 - Woz
It sounds like your install could be corrupt, no being able to switch to designer view with a blank form sounds messed up to say the least.

What version of VS are you using, that said even the free one comes with form designer.

If you are on Vista try giving VS admin privs and make sure your user is configured as admin. Dev environments are harsh on a machine as they allow access down into the guts of Windows and install system level hooks all over the place to allow debugging etc.
Must have been a dodgy install... downloaded + installed again and it works fine now
#17 - Woz
Quote from JO53PHS :Must have been a dodgy install... downloaded + installed again and it works fine now

Thought it must be something dodgy as even the express includes form designer. Have fun.
Using the tutorial thingy I made a web browser thingy

But when I open attatchments/new windows it opens with IE.. Something to work on I suppose
Attached images
Browser.jpg
Quote from JO53PHS :But when I open attatchments/new windows it opens with IE.. Something to work on I suppose

That's because, The object you added from the tool box. Is basically a mini Internet explorer engine. IT does the hard job of parsing web pages within a window, You just do the rest. Seen as you arn't handling new tabs, and new windows. Internet explorer is doing it for you, Therefor opening Internet explorer 7.
Ah I see...

I wondered how it mysteriously managed to become a web browser without me doing much .

I'm going to do the other tutorial thingies some time, so I can FAIL less

Failing at C#
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG