The online racing simulator
Christ, is this thing still rumbling away in the background?
That post from Jaap must be the biggest deja vu in history of sim racing:
Quote : ... closer and closer to completion now... ...There is still quite something to fix

IT'S GETTING CLOSER!!!111
Quote from Shotglass :2 down 4 to go

We don't need to worry about the other 4 months.

It's coming this time.... You can quote me on that

Instead of chucking us a test version and buggering off for months, Kunos keeps doing crazy stuff like giving us updated versions every couple of days.
I'm not sure what's wrong with him
he got bored playing his stupid little bikesim?
Quote from Scrabby :he got bored playing his stupid little bikesim?

apparently not......(see the bottom sentence )

A summary of a post from Kunos at the DI forum about nKPro 1.03

- the iRacing approach has been a great source of inspiration, so in the future nk pro will gradually switch to a browser access (that's a long term plan)
- an auto-updater has almost been finalized, so that it will be easy to deliver quick fixes
- 1.03 will not only bring the obvious multiplayer improvements, but much more in terms of physics (many things that could have gone straight to a hypothetical version 2.0)
- new tyre model (leaving pacejka completely out)
- new aerodynamics model (coming from the f1 development work)
- new differential code
- new code for suspensions, bars, etc
- new force feedback code

- new collision detection system in multiplayer; still far from perfection but way better than before

- the new gui has been left behind, in 1.03 we will have an evolution of the one found in 1.02; in the future, it will be managed through web (Jaap will be working on it); a separate, simple application will be used to launch the sim offline

- after 1.03 a special mode for osella&trento-bondone will be added; an FSingtel will be released (f1 car); before the end of 2008 other cars & real tracks should be released.

- some work on netBike has been made, which is now 'stunning'; it will NOT be released before 1.03
Quote from The Moose :- an auto-updater has almost been finalized, so that it will be easy to deliver quick fixes

:chairfall

(sorry)
Quote from The Moose :Instead of chucking us a test version and buggering off for months, Kunos keeps doing crazy stuff like giving us updated versions every couple of days.
I'm not sure what's wrong with him

hm how much would you be willing to bet on him not losing focus again?
how about winner gets free rule over the losers avatar and signature for 3 months?

Quote from The Moose :it will be managed through web (Jaap will be working on it); a separate, simple application will be used to launch the sim offline

bah he should have learned from lfs instead... not watching a loading screen every time you switch cars ftw
Quote from Shotglass :hm how much would you be willing to bet on him not losing focus again?

I'm not a betting man, but I'd certainly have a few quid on him finishing the job this time if i was. He seems to be working really hard and is determined to deliver the goods.

It's all looking rather good tbh. The new physics updates are impressive, along with all the obvious fixes.
hm sad thing is even if it was really great and highly improved (not that the base physics were particularly bad) im too stubborn and have too many principles to every buy anything from him after whats happened
I tried the demo not long ago but found it a bit weird. The tires felt a little solid. Gunna try it again soon. From the demo I'm not sure I'm willing to buy it yet I'd rather try iRacing.
Quote from The Moose :
- the iRacing approach has been a great source of inspiration, so in the future nk pro will gradually switch to...

My heart sank as I read this, fearing that the sentence would finish with the word "pricing" in it.

I'm extremely excited about the progress NK is apparently making. Taking on a load of new beta testers is a good sign. Even if 1.03 is released some time soon, one can't help but wonder how well the game will be supported afterward. And if a 1.04 is in the works, whether the "1 year of free updates" will apply.
Quote from The Moose :- the iRacing approach has been a great source of inspiration, so in the future nk pro will gradually switch to a browser access (that's a long term plan)

Grrr. What's the ****ing point? What possible advantage could this bring? It's so mind-numbingly counter intuitive to have to use a damn browser to start a sim that it makes me want to scream. Will this even work if you happen to use something other than IE/Firefox?
Quote from wien :Grrr. What's the ****ing point? What possible advantage could this bring? It's so mind-numbingly counter intuitive to have to use a damn browser to start a sim that it makes me want to scream. Will this even work if you happen to use something other than IE/Firefox?

Oooor even better, when you have your internets down and feeling like doing few laps, the whole browser start ruins that idea almost before it ever arised.

Just feels bit like lazy way of doing things to me.
But then I've no idea how much laziness that really is.
Well, I have so rarely any connection issues with my internets that I'd say the only part of that equation that could fail is the iracing part and so far there have been 0 issues, for me at least in the few days. And there hasn't been that many issues with LFS either, if never ever for me.

And using a different browser for iracing/other net menu system is not really all that hard. Just install firefox or use the IE you already have. You can set it up so that it's only for iracing. And running two browsers is not really an issue either.

I was a bit sceptical with the internets menu systems but it has already been proven it works. There is iracing and there is even the ARCA sim "CMX" viewer that work in web browsers. I don't know how it would work for LFS but I really like to ponder the idea and the pros and cons of launching LFS within LFSworld
Oh I'm sure it can work, I'm just not seeing the why. It just seems like there's this trend of trying to stuff everything into the browser window these days, no matter if there's any benefit of doing so or not. The sim has to be it's own standalone program anyway, so why not just keep the damn browser out of it?
Quote from Jonesy_ : when you have your internets down and feeling like doing few laps, the whole browser start ruins that idea almost before it ever arised.

You must have missed this bit......

"a separate, simple application will be used to launch the sim offline"
It has the adventage of having everything in one place. Sure, I agree with wien that there is really no specific need for a webpage based system but imho the concept just works, maybe even better than the .exe one.

It is also cheaper to hire a guy who does flash and java instead of a guy who does c++
Doesn't iRacing have ingame options too? I saw it on some video at least. Imho Windows based (like in NKP) is pretty much same as web-based system... you still need to quit the whole game just to change your FFB setting by 1%... this applies to all games, and I've always hated if options are not available while playing instead only in the main menu, even on console games where you don't have much options anyway. I'd still take the Windows system, its just more reliable.
Quote from wien : The sim has to be it's own standalone program anyway, so why not just keep the damn browser out of it?

It concerns multiplayer. Look at the developer point of view. A browser is the perfect tool to make a multiplayer lobby. It supports chat, forums, can display documentation, display statistics stored in database in a very nice way. Everyone wanting to play a multiplayer game has a browser. Browsers are reliable, have been tested extensively by millions users.

Whenever a developer has to implement a multiplayer lobby, most of things he has to painfuly implement and test are already better done in a browser.
Multiplayer lobbies don't spawn from nothing just because you develop inside a browser. You still have to write the code to do everything.

In fact, none of this is really any harder in a normal program (Using .NET like Netkar already is). I'd actually say incompatibilities between browsers (well, browser) makes the web approach a pain in the neck in comparison. Why anyone would expose themselves to that when they actually don't need to boggles my mind.

I can kinda see the unification angle, but the bother of having to open a browser window, navigating to the correct page, logging in, finding the launch button, just to run a program that's already on my computer by far outweighs any benefit in my view. This is just an unnecessary layer of complexity, and if there's anything Netkar doesn't need at this point, that's it.
Quote from The Moose :You must have missed this bit......

"a separate, simple application will be used to launch the sim offline"

Any idea where it is?

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG