The online racing simulator
g25 engine starT?
(15 posts, started )
g25 engine starT?
hi when the engine start sin lfs is there a way of making the g25 respond ~?
What do you mean?
you mean like that horrible canned rumble effect?
say when u turn on the igniting the wheel sort of shakes sort of like its vibrating
Yeah, that`s what I thought. I`ve always hated that effect, since it always feels as if it`s doing some damage to the wheel, and not actually vibrating/moving normally. Makes a horrendous noise too which doesn`t help late at night.

First thing I did was remove that effect from GTR2 when I started playing it.
Quote from unseen :Yeah, that`s what I thought. I`ve always hated that effect, since it always feels as if it`s doing some damage to the wheel, and not actually vibrating/moving normally. Makes a horrendous noise too which doesn`t help late at night.

First thing I did was remove that effect from GTR2 when I started playing it.

Problem with that affect is that the quality of FFB available in current wheels just isn't good enough to accurately reproduce the "tingle" you get through the wheel in real life in some cars. Otherwise a frequency related minor vibration through the wheel would certainly add something to the realism of racing sims. What's actually required is not vibration through the FFB motor(s) but a separate motor causing vibration up through the wheel stem.
#7 - Jakg
Does a car do it in real life?

Didn't think so - your wheel may shake side-to-side, but theres nothing your wheel can do to replicate this, as the wheel can only rotate...
#8 - bbman
Quote from Jakg :Does a car do it in real life?

Didn't think so - your wheel may shake side-to-side, but theres nothing your wheel can do to replicate this, as the wheel can only rotate...

It shouldn't... A shaking steering wheel often indicates that a wheel isn't balanced properly which can damage your steering severely, if it isn't already...

And if you compare the rotational force of a FFB wheel to one in an actual non-DF car, you'll soon realize people set their FFB way too strong...
i think that would be pretty cool but I use an xbox controller so it would perhaps be a bit more realistic for me. You could just tell the poor guy that its impossible or help him instead of making him feel bad about his request.
Quote from apollo1600 :hi when the engine start sin lfs is there a way of making the g25 respond ~?

A creative mind can do this right now

I own a buttkicker but wasn't really happy with how good it worked with LFS since LFS does not generate alot of bass. If I had time, I had an idea that seemed like it would work.

You have one PC running LFS (which I'll refer to as PC1) and another PC that has the buttkicker attached to it (PC2).

PC1 has a 5.1 sound system
PC2 has no speakers - but the buttkicker hooked up to its audio ports.

Write an Outsim application that runs on PC2 that detects when the car is started. When it detects this, PC2 plays a low bass sound which causes the buttkicker to vibrate. You can now programatically control the buttkicker. Since PC2 doesn't have any speakers hooked up, you never actually hear the generated sounds. So you can do things like make the buttkicker vibrate much more at idle and smooth out as the RPMS increase (and then maybe get a bit harsher as the car approaches redline?). I believe all this data is available in outsim. For example, if suspension travel is available in outsim, you can shake the seat if the car hits the bump stops, etc.
Or just use the buttkicker as you did before and change the engine start sound. Add some low frequency vibrations to it and you are done.
I also did this with road noise sound and other sounds that had to punch or grind. Because i installed an 8" woofer directly under my raceseat i can now feel the road through my ass and feel tyre friction :P

A buttkicker could be even more usefull. But i had a crappy logitech Z560 set that never was any good so i ripped everything apart and installed everything in a simulator, including the woofer which fits nicely under the seat. Now it's finally put to some good use.
All you need is a crossover so that you can send sounds that are less then a certain frequency to the sub or butkicker, and the other frequencies to your regular speakers. Or you could use the crossover differently, and make it filter out everything over 30Hz for example from reaching the but kicker. But you allow your regular speakers to get the full range of sound. And then you just set the bass boost on the crossover (they have that on car-audio crossovers) so that the butkicker is getting a stronger signal. That way you can still hear the deep sounds from your speakers, while having a larger input signal to the buttkicker.
#13 - Woz
This has come up again and again PLEASE SEARCH.

The stupid canned rumble effect present in ISI sims is terrible. If your wheel shakes like that IRL take your car to the garage and get it fixed.

Why do so many people confuse the feeling you get through your body with what you feel through the wheel. Try this...

Drive ONLY holding the wheel with your finger tips and then really think about what you feel.
It doesn't have to be just for the wheel though. Using a buttkicker or similar device to simulate vibrations in the shifter or seat can add to the immersion factor.
#15 - Woz
Quote from Technique :It doesn't have to be just for the wheel though. Using a buttkicker or similar device to simulate vibrations in the shifter or seat can add to the immersion factor.

Yep and it requires no changes to the FFB engine in LFS as can be driven off the engine tone

g25 engine starT?
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG