The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
ROFL @ "solstii", that's perfect.

Quote from Mattesa :CTRA Race 1 does seem to be the most popular server of all time.
Anyway, I'm not disagreeing. I dislike iRacing's pricing scheme as well. It's the principle behind it all.

Apparently though if you don't like the way the pricing is your a fanboy though of LFS. I still can't work that one out. I refuse to pay 12x more than I will ever have to pay for something roughly similar and has similar objectives No diggs intended, think we have had enough of those over the previous 46 pages.
Quote from bbman :3 cars, one track against 2 cars and (really) two tracks... I can see where I bullshit everyone about the joys that are iRacing, yes...

The standard subscription is 2 cars, 4 ovals and 4 road courses, the rest you have to buy later. I don't see how it's the same amount of content as LFS demo.

Quote :
Cars
Pontiac Solstice
Legends

Tracks
Lanier National Speedway
Lime Rock Park
Oxford Plains Speedway
Summit Point Raceway
South Boston Speedway
Lowe's Motor Speedway
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Quote from Hyperactive :So a dual-core processor is required?

It's not very clearly written but the idea is that you should be fine with any dual core and for single core systems you need atleast Athlon 64 package.
Quote from Ahriman4891 :The standard subscription is 2 cars, 4 ovals and 4 road courses, the rest you have to buy later. I don't see how it's the same amount of content as LFS demo.

you're right. iRacing has no demo...
Quote from Shotglass :riiiight...
http://forum.racesimcentral.co ... d=456419&d=1212740316
http://forum.racesimcentral.co ... d=456675&d=1212999932

Is that iRacing watermark displayed in game? Please don't tell me those are official screens

Quote from Hyperactive :www.iracing.com, intro and new site
---

They've committed the worst offense possible in web design, over use of flash and to compound matters they start by making you endure a video that shows bugger all and won't stream on my crappy connection with no skip button.
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :Apparently though if you don't like the way the pricing is your a fanboy though of LFS.

I think criticism of the product is fine, but there has been rather a lot of dismissive crap throughout this thread from people who haven't even tried (and aren't willing to try) the sim.

I think the pricing's a bit ludicrous myself, and some of the functionality looks a bit weird and unwelcome and limiting, but if the sim itself is up to snuff they can be forgiven for it. Maybe it's not a suitable product for everybody here, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad product.
Quote from three_jump :you're right. iRacing has no demo...

That's a big issue that I am very unhappy about. Totally unrelated to content argument though.
Quote from Ahriman4891 :The standard subscription is 2 cars, 4 ovals and 4 road courses, the rest you have to buy later. I don't see how it's the same amount of content as LFS demo.

What good are trillions of tracks if I only ever can use just 2? My point still stands...
Quote from ajp71 :Is that iRacing watermark displayed in game?

hm hadnt even noticed but i rather doubt it... or at least i hope they arent that bad

speaking of bad what where they thinking when they came up with that painjob?
http://tru-grit.com/iracepix/i ... t02/Erin%20Nagy%2001s.jpg

Quote :Please don't tell me those are official screens

they arent but that doesnt make the texturing on vir any more bearable

Quote :They've committed the worst offense possible in web design, over use of flash and to compound matters they start by making you endure a video that shows bugger all and won't stream on my crappy connection with no skip button.

theyve commited an even bigger sin by forcing you to use javascript and flash to play the game
OT 'words and ideas'
This thread is getting so dull... time to pick on some totally irrelevant aside and rant on it

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :
Heh it's more about attitudes than words anyway I think, afterall words communicate ideas and therefore the words themselves are somewhat moot; being rather a means to an end. IMO of course.

Words are anything but moot - they are not some hollow vessel that just holds ideas and passes them. They are fundamental building blocks of ideas.
Ideas are made of words.

This is why most people have very few memories from before they learned to talk. The brain is kinda reprogrammed at that age, and we start to think in words. Only memories of extremely significant events survive that process.

We use words to classify our experience and structure our thoughts, and one of the results of this are our ideas.

This is one reason why the disappearance of so many languages in the world is so sad - each language is also a different way of thinking about existence!

cheers

Col
Quote from col :Words are anything but moot - they are not some hollow vessel that just holds ideas and passes them. They are fundamental building blocks of ideas.
Ideas are made of words.

I disagree. Words are indeed vessels for ideas, not the building blocks of ideas.

Apparently in multilingual people, the brain seems pretty much language-agnostic - it doesn't appear to differentiate between words with identical meanings in different languages. It's believed that animal brains break communication down into some cerebral sub-language before any meaning is achieved. Communication being language, vocalisations, shapes, figures, drawings, or whatever.

It's perfectly possible to be creative without the benefit of knowing any words.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I disagree. Words are indeed vessels for ideas, not the building blocks of ideas.

They are used to transport the seeds of other peoples' ideas, though. They can be dangerous in a viral kind of way.
Well, Even in monolingual people, words are simply an alias/symbolic link to a concept. Who cares if we call something tomato or tomato (do your own messed up speaking of either), the point of communication is the ability to express a concept or idea to others, and pictures and arm motions aren't always convienent, thus we use words.
hey coL... long time!!!!! hope ya doin well
Quote from ajp71 :
They've committed the worst offense possible in web design, over use of flash and to compound matters they start by making you endure a video that shows bugger all and won't stream on my crappy connection with no skip button.

The iRacing icon in the top left corner on that splash page skips it. Not too damn obvious though (except I got it instantly due to habit.)

Some people in the sim-racing community have been asking for something with more realistic tracks,more realistic cars, a more organized way of racing and competing online and for a service that will allow for continued development of software. While others have been turned away by existing sim's because of their wreckers,people not racing, a lack of organization online, fictional tracks, cars,tires, setup options, a confusing mis-mash of varying quality mod's and their constant updates causing mismatches and dilution of the community and the frustration and or lose of a potential/existing sim-racer.

Yeah, I could have used better punctuation there

This is what a lot of people have been looking for, most of them assuming you cannot ask for a lot more with out paying more. Others were content with what the have and they should continue to be.

I love LFS as well as iRacing, but don't rip on it unless you try it and don't bitch about not being able to afford it if you rank other "extras" in your life more financially important. Then its NOT FOR YOU, sad, oh well!

I hope to see you try it, and enjoy it as much as I have.
^ That second one looks really good.
Quote from ajp71 :Is that iRacing watermark displayed in game? Please don't tell me those are official screens

The watermark is shown over the replay screen, so it doesn't mean they're official. The grass at VIR is pretty ordinary at the moment. They did say that a few tracks would be getting an overhaul and that's the most likely candidate. Others like Laguna and Infineon look absolutely amazing.

Quote from Hyperactive :Soo, is it possible to get into the skip barber car racing in 4-5 days or was that just the way it was in the beta?

So a dual-core processor is required?

The beta worked exactly the same as the final release will, so if I could do it, then you could too

http://www.iracing.com/membership/tech.php?lc=3
"Hyperthreaded Intel CPU, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, OR any dual-core CPU"

Dual core isn't required, but it's properly supported. Only 2 cores at the moment though, not 4.
Quote from ajp71 :They've committed the worst offense possible in web design, over use of flash and to compound matters they start by making you endure a video that shows bugger all and won't stream on my crappy connection with no skip button.

I think a website for an online-only sim can get away with assuming a fairly decent web connection. The intro video is only a couple of seconds and it only plays once. When you revisit the site it automatically skips it. It should still have a skip button, I agree with that.

What's wrong with using Flash?
Flash should be banned from being used as website replacement.
I hope you can turn the visible steering wheel off...I already have one in front of me, I dont want to see another.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG