The online racing simulator
Driving Force Pro or G25 for beginners?
Hi,
I am new to sim racing and am about to purchase my 1st wheel. However I am in a dilema as to whether to get a g25 or dfp. The main reason for this is the price. I can get a dfp for around 60 pounds while a g25 is 150 pounds. Is the dfp a decent wheel for me a beginner? Do you think i should go for the g25 because of the clutch option? Driving force pro owners, what are the best aspects of your wheel?

Thanks....
If you're completely new to sim racing, I'd say go with the DFP. If you decide that it's not for you, you've saved yourself £100 being the main reason. However, if you're totally committed to sim racing, and are definitely going to stick at it, I'd say go with the G25. At the end of the day, it's all down to what you can spare. If money is no object, of course get the G25. However, if you're on a budget, DFP would be a good option.
#3 - JVL
Quote from martyl2007 :Hi,
I am new to sim racing and am about to purchase my 1st wheel. However I am in a dilema as to whether to get a g25 or dfp. The main reason for this is the price. I can get a dfp for around 60 pounds while a g25 is 150 pounds. Is the dfp a decent wheel for me a beginner? Do you think i should go for the g25 because of the clutch option? Driving force pro owners, what are the best aspects of your wheel?

Thanks....

i think that first buy s2
Quote from dougie-lampkin :If you're completely new to sim racing, I'd say go with the DFP. If you decide that it's not for you, you've saved yourself £100 being the main reason. However, if you're totally committed to sim racing, and are definitely going to stick at it, I'd say go with the G25. At the end of the day, it's all down to what you can spare. If money is no object, of course get the G25. However, if you're on a budget, DFP would be a good option.

Thanks for your advice, I think the dfp is the more viable option. I can always upgrade in 6 months. However how does the g25 compare to the dfp, or indeed is there just no comparison because the g25 is so good? Finally is there any chance that the g25 would perhaps keep me more interested in sim racing racing because of its quality and fun value, wheras the dfp may indeed not have this effect?
Personally, I've never owned a DFP. I went straight from keyboard/PS3 controller to G25. And I've never regretted it

I think both would keep you interested in sim racing, much more than a keyboard/mouse/controller. There isn't much between them, apart from the H-shifter and the clutch. The G25 is also a little bit better built, and looks better. However, both have 900° rotation and force feedback. So there is a good comparison between them If you don't plan on using manual shifting all the time, the G25 isn't going to be much better over the DFP, so keep that in mind.

If you did get a DFP, and decided in a few weeks/months that you really wanted to stick with sim racing, then a G25 would be a brilliant upgrade. You'd still get plenty back out of selling the DFP, assuming you didn't trash it

Both would keep you interested in sim racing, if you have an interest. That's the main thing. Remember: A wheel is for life, not just for two weeks after you buy it

At the end of the day, it's up to you, and probably even more so, your budget. If you have £150 to spare, by all means, get the G25, you won't regret it. But if you just can't justify that at the moment, go for the DFP

Also, you'll pretty much need S2 to fully enjoy your new wheel
The DFP does make a horrible whirring noise when turning though. The G25 does make a noise but not as annoying as the DFP's, and the G25 has a bigger and more realistic diameter than the DFP. If you have the money then go for the G25. You won't look back
I own a Driving Force Pro and I have tried a G25 out. I personally think that the G25 is better. But I'll list the pros and cons of both wheels that I know and experienced myself.

DFP:
Pros: Great price, a lot of buttons on the wheel, durable, grippy wheel, decent force feedback, good build overall.

Cons: Wheel has a lot of resistance against turning even with force feedback set all the way down, pedals aren't the greatest (revision A models have a pedal problem where they mysteriously don't work until you release the pedal then step on it again, revision B models do not have this problem). Wheel feels like a toy because of its size, slow force feedback. Loud.

G25:
Pros: Bigger wheel, dual motors give faster and stronger force feedback, less motor resistance means faster wheel turning, clutch and shifter, durable, shifter becomes sequential or h-pattern, nice paddle shifters. Much quieter than the DFP

Cons:
A bit pricey for some, shifter is the weakest link (it clicks loudly, has no resistance), less buttons on the wheel.

Both wheels have plastic clamps which I don't like because they slip and I've had the DFP hit me in the chest because I was pulling on it while steering for some reason. My solution was some black, grippy electrical tape on the clamps and the surface that meets the table top.

If you want to go all out, get the G25 and you won't regret it. If you are a little concerned about price but still want a good wheel, the DFP is best. However, there is a third wheel called the Driving Force GT. This wheel was meant for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue but it is esentially a better DFP. From what I've heard, the wheel is bigger and feels better, it has the same buttons and it also includes dials, its quieter and the force feedback has improved. The pedals look the same though so it doesn't seem that those have improved. The rest is almost the same as the DFP and its about $150 (approx 77 pounds). However, I do not know if this will work for the PC or not so you might want to wait and see.
tbh buy the DF GT. new wheel and according to SRT, just as good as a G25 for a bit more than a DFP. I know thats what i am gonna save up for.
yeah, maybe driving force gt would be better.
But, if you have money for g25- buy it, if dont, then buy dfp/dfgt.
Maybe ill buy dfgt too, if price will be not high. But i havent see this wheel in Latvian stores, thats the main problem.
If you are sure of the buy... buy G25, but if you want some playings and some time buy DFP, I have a G25 and a DFP, G25 is other world... but DFP are good for newbie, but it's make a horrible sound in the cournes.

G25
I wonder why so many people ask this question. If you have the money and you're willing to spend it. What does it matter if you're a beginner or a pro (in this case)?
Just get the best you can then, I'd go for the G25!
Quote from sgt.flippy :I wonder why so many people ask this question. If you have the money and you're willing to spend it. What does it matter if you're a beginner or a pro (in this case)?
Just get the best you can then, I'd go for the G25!

AGREED !!!!!!!!11!!11111!1oneonetwo223three33three
Quote from Scatter :I own a Driving Force Pro and I have tried a G25 out. I personally think that the G25 is better. But I'll list the pros and cons of both wheels that I know and experienced myself.

DFP:
Pros: Great price, a lot of buttons on the wheel, durable, grippy wheel, decent force feedback, good build overall.

Cons: Wheel has a lot of resistance against turning even with force feedback set all the way down, pedals aren't the greatest (revision A models have a pedal problem where they mysteriously don't work until you release the pedal then step on it again, revision B models do not have this problem). Wheel feels like a toy because of its size, slow force feedback. Loud.

G25:
Pros: Bigger wheel, dual motors give faster and stronger force feedback, less motor resistance means faster wheel turning, clutch and shifter, durable, shifter becomes sequential or h-pattern, nice paddle shifters. Much quieter than the DFP

Cons:
A bit pricey for some, shifter is the weakest link (it clicks loudly, has no resistance), less buttons on the wheel.

Both wheels have plastic clamps which I don't like because they slip and I've had the DFP hit me in the chest because I was pulling on it while steering for some reason. My solution was some black, grippy electrical tape on the clamps and the surface that meets the table top.

If you want to go all out, get the G25 and you won't regret it. If you are a little concerned about price but still want a good wheel, the DFP is best. However, there is a third wheel called the Driving Force GT. This wheel was meant for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue but it is esentially a better DFP. From what I've heard, the wheel is bigger and feels better, it has the same buttons and it also includes dials, its quieter and the force feedback has improved. The pedals look the same though so it doesn't seem that those have improved. The rest is almost the same as the DFP and its about $150 (approx 77 pounds). However, I do not know if this will work for the PC or not so you might want to wait and see.

Thanks for the advice, just after purchasing a driving force pro off ebay for 35 pounds, absolute bargain. Could not justify the 150 price tag at this stage for the g25. Have also purchased my S2 licence. Am really looking forward to getting started sim racing properly once my steering wheel arrives. I will probably upgrade to a g25 in a few months. Anyway thanks for the advice! Will write back on this when my dfp arrives giving my thoughts on it...
Quote from martyl2007 :Thanks for the advice, just after purchasing a driving force pro off ebay for 35 pounds, absolute bargain. Could not justify the 150 price tag at this stage for the g25. Have also purchased my S2 licence. Am really looking forward to getting started sim racing properly once my steering wheel arrives. I will probably upgrade to a g25 in a few months. Anyway thanks for the advice! Will write back on this when my dfp arrives giving my thoughts on it...

DFP for 35 pounds, it is good but s2 is better
Hi Everyone, Great thread as I'm looking at investing in a G25.
I think you have all convinced me.

I have one question (without wishing to divert the topic of this thread too much). As the G25 has been out for a fair amount of time, is there any rumours on a new version for 2008 or next year ?

Cheers.
Quote from Krankor :Hi Everyone, Great thread as I'm looking at investing in a G25.
I think you have all convinced me.

I have one question (without wishing to divert the topic of this thread too much). As the G25 has been out for a fair amount of time, is there any rumours on a new version for 2008 or next year ?

Cheers.

There are rumours of a new logitech wheel coinciding with the release of the proper gt5 next year. I am assuming it will be replacing the existing g25 and will have clutch function. Rumours at this stage but expect a new wheel next year at the earliest.
Welcome to S2, and Ireland
The main disadvantage of the DFP is not having a clutch pedal, which isn't really necessary and won't change your gameplay much. The pedals are arcadish, but the G25's aren't much better. So far, no pedals feel like real pedals because there is no force-feedback for pedals
Are the DFP pedals pressure sensitive like the G25? G25 pedals are independently stiffened like to feel a bit more realistic
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Welcome to S2, and Ireland

well am from omagh so am irish...
Quote from martyl2007 :There are rumours of a new logitech wheel coinciding with the release of the proper gt5 next year. I am assuming it will be replacing the existing g25 and will have clutch function. Rumours at this stage but expect a new wheel next year at the earliest.

Cheers, I won't muck about waiting then. G25 here I come.
Quote from martyl2007 :Thanks for the advice, just after purchasing a driving force pro off ebay for 35 pounds, absolute bargain. Could not justify the 150 price tag at this stage for the g25. Have also purchased my S2 licence. Am really looking forward to getting started sim racing properly once my steering wheel arrives. I will probably upgrade to a g25 in a few months. Anyway thanks for the advice! Will write back on this when my dfp arrives giving my thoughts on it...

35 pounds?! That's a bargain! Oh and congrats on the S2 license.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :Are the DFP pedals pressure sensitive like the G25? G25 pedals are independently stiffened like to feel a bit more realistic

Yes, the DFP pedals have different stiffnesses too, but just barely. At the beginning both pedals have the same stiffness but near their stop, the brake is stiffer.
Hey
i use DFP myself but i have used a G25 i would say go with DFP because your only a beginner to a wheel. Also you would save money i have had my DFP for around 6 months and it is still in good condition.
good luck with it
i would say the g25 brake pedal is much hard through all its travel and the throtttle a little bit stiffer, i have a g25(thats the one dan has used) and have used a dfp(dans one) and everytime i went to brake for a corner boom i locked the wheels as the pedal was so light, but for a beginer get the dfp there cheap, good quality and great at what they do, i only got the g25 because i could lol

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG