The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
The only pressing question to me is: If I buy a subscription, get a cache of cars and tracks built up, then don't resubscribe, but then do in the future. Will I keep my former purchased cars/tracks?
Yes, I am pretty sure thats the case.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :The only pressing question to me is: If I buy a subscription, get a cache of cars and tracks built up, then don't resubscribe, but then do in the future. Will I keep my former purchased cars/tracks?

Yes, you do.
Quote from srdsprinter :Based off the early reviews, if iracing had a traditional pricing structure, it would be a very easy sell.

Absolutely. It would be huge.

Just add on their "service" for the extra monthly charge for those who wish to participate that way and everyone wins, surely.

The so called "real" sim racers (whoever they are:shrug get to enjoy the structured environment and everyone else gets to enjoy a fabulous sim in the traditional way.

I'm still having a hard time seeing why that isn't a viable proposition.
Because they need money to pay for the tracks and services provided?

Not seeing it myself yet, there are other ways to generate cash besides placing it directly onto the consumer.
Perhaps licencing the engine will later be on their agenda? More $$ from the fees, the engine gets put to good use, all -ve behaviour will be accounted to the title, not iRacing.
Yeah, that street corner worked well for Sam.
I had the same feeling as AndroidXP, I was also shocked the first time I drove iRacing that cars that had 300+ Ping appeared very smooth to me, you can lean a bit against them, a little rubbin' is possible now, even with high pings
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :Because they need money to pay for the tracks and services provided?

I'd be perfectly happy to buy a basic package (as i said earlier, say two cars for each discipline and three tracks for each) And pay extra for any new cars and tracks. I've come round to that idea, as they are modelled beautifully, that can't be denied.

They would get money for services provided, from people who wanted to pay a monthly fee for those services, for example, those who are going to buy into iRacing as it stands now.
Quote from George Kuyumji :I had the same feeling as AndroidXP, I was also shocked the first time I drove iRacing that cars that had 300+ Ping appeared very smooth to me, you can lean a bit against them, a little rubbin' is possible now, even with high pings

[ot]
Can you PM me the full pic in your avatar?
If you die suddenly can I has your stuff?
[/ot]
Quote from The Moose :Absolutely. It would be huge.

Just add on their "service" for the extra monthly charge for those who wish to participate that way and everyone wins, surely.

The so called "real" sim racers (whoever they are:shrug get to enjoy the structured environment and everyone else gets to enjoy a fabulous sim in the traditional way.

I'm still having a hard time seeing why that isn't a viable proposition.

I guess they are just reserving this option for later - gauge the initial response, milk some good income from players who don't really mind the price and when the growth slows down, they can make this option available.

In a way they are forcing (as providing no alternative) people to join the system, it could be a way to build up a large population within the system, to be able to show its real potential. If people have a choice outside the system, most of the players will just be testing the water, and with less people in the system, the class/rank seperation won't provide enough racers per tier.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :2. An offline/testing demo was suggested, to which the forum old guard and the powers that be replied that the most important feature of iRacing is the online element, and that to leave that out would defeat the purpose of a demo.

That's BS. Some people want to see if the game will actually run on their PC, or just test out the physics to see how it feels. We've all raced online before, we know what that is like already. No reason to not have a demo...other than to make people pay $20 to try out your product that they may or may not like.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :This is kind of a bold statement.

indeed but theyve been blowing so much marketing bs our way its time to strike back hard

Quote from danowat :Which is why I wished (and had a big post about it on the beta forum) they had a demo, just so people could see just how good it is

i have no doubts that the physics are indeed very good... possibly good enough for full price + paying for more content
but making me pay monthly for a service im not interested in and then telling me which track to race on all week... they can go and do whatever it is they do in private to themself
Short youtube clip showing some slight body deformation(?) and barrier crash behaviour. Looks pretty naturalistic to me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h6zJF0uQyHE&feature=related

Quote :I guess they are just reserving this option for later - gauge the initial response, milk some good income from players who don't really mind the price and when the growth slows down, they can make this option available.

In a way they are forcing (as providing no alternative) people to join the system, it could be a way to build up a large population within the system, to be able to show its real potential. If people have a choice outside the system, most of the players will just be testing the water, and with less people in the system, the class/rank seperation won't provide enough racers per tier.

This sounds about right.
Btw, if anyone wants an invite to the first stage of the rollout, PM me your full real name + email address. I have 9 invites left.

This is not for a free test. It's just for a chance to be among the first group of paying customers.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :[ot]
Can you PM me the full pic in your avatar?
If you die suddenly can I has your stuff?
[/ot]

ROFL!! No but you can try it out if you ever visit Austria let me know

I have made some Pics with iRacing
Attached images
1.JPG
2.JPG
Ok, just watched the SRT section on Iracing, and it's certain I will be giving it a try when it goes public, I just hope it's about August time cause I have a holiday booked from work then. I have doubts over payment scheme, and also European racing - however since I have discovered the wonderful joy of insomnia, I can wait for the American times if need be.
Quote from George Kuyumji :ROFL!! No but you can try it out if you ever visit Austria let me know

I have made some Pics with iRacing

ITS a trap, He's gonna put you in his basement!!!!

I kid
It'll be starting to go public on June 11th, Mack.
Quote from The Radness :ITS a trap, He's gonna put you in his basement!!!!

I kid

LMAO not all Austrians are like that
Quote from DeadWolfBones :It'll be starting to go public on June 11th, Mack.

Damn thats coming a bit quicker than I thought, suppose I'm just going to have to tell the Doc my knee is really really sore and get him to sign off work for a couple of weeks, but then that means SSP which accounts to very little..................

I'll phone the docs on Monday
Quote :Originally Posted by The Radness
ITS a trap, He's gonna put you in his basement!!!!

Oh no! I just got it!
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :I'm in the same boat as Sam, I could afford it if I really wanted to, but on principle I won't touch the thing because I don't like how the payments are set up.

Same here. I could understand it if the price was double that of any other sim, or if you'd pay extra for software updates. Or if it included significant services, like stewarded races (which appears not to be the case).

As it stands, you keep on paying for a product whose main cost is one-off (namely development). And you must pay for more content. That's extortionate.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :It'll be starting to go public on June 11th, Mack.

****ing evil. My last week of school... Thank god I only have 1 class really that I need to try at.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG