The online racing simulator
Street legal race cars, need help.
(57 posts, started )
Quote from f4sttr@ck :I was wondering where i would get rules to see what mods would be street legal and what would not. Im looking to buy a ford mustang GT V8 5 speed, 2000/2005 and i need to know where i can find the laws on some mods. I live in USA, Pennsylvania and All im really looking to do is lighten the car up, add racing seats and possible roll cage, etc.. so if anyone knows where i can find this info let me know.

some race cars are road legle.
for a start they have to have road tyers(on the road)
nos cant be used.
some seies you are not allowed to put your car in a transporter you have to drive to the track befor you race.
i dont know were to get the info but a lightend car with race seats and a roll cadge would be legle in the uk and would (if made correctly) offer better crash protection.
Quote from sgt.flippy :Ten years ago 4000 rpm in my car was safe... Now (with a leaking dieselpump) I'm not to fond of it anymore

If you can't safely rev the engine to well under redline there's a good argument it shouldn't be passing vehicle testing
Quote from ajp71 :If you can't safely rev the engine to well under redline there's a good argument it shouldn't be passing vehicle testing

My car can handle it, it just sounds so bad and wrong
Quote from beefyman666 :It's the fact not everyone can afford a 1000bhp+ car, and even if they did, you wouldn't be able to use all that power properly on the road. But that said, ANYONE could have a 1000bhp+ car if they could afford it.

I've not heard of any power limits either.

wow nice avatar you got there i wonder if that UFR will be street legal
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/vehicle_code/index.shtml

specifically, part iv

Conform to these standards, and you're gold as far as PA is concerned. In what county do you live?

Thanks Blackbird! At least someone cares enough about state revenues to call me out. I'm not really concerned about a fine since all of my documentation matches the mileage I wish to report.
Quote from Alistair :some race cars are road legle.
for a start they have to have road tyers(on the road)
nos cant be used.
some seies you are not allowed to put your car in a transporter you have to drive to the track befor you race.
i dont know were to get the info but a lightend car with race seats and a roll cadge would be legle in the uk and would (if made correctly) offer better crash protection.

lol u dont have to worry bout nos cuz i believe in the motto all throttle no bottle. and i live in lawrence county
So, will you be at the All Ford Nationals in Carlsile this weekend? Looks like about a 4 hour car ride from your area. I'll be there with my car if you wanted to chat.
fraid not. Got stuff to do this weekend. And with gas prices, a four hour drive for sumthin that dont have to be done, wish i could, but cant.
you think your gas is expensive ares is at just over $2 a liter (dont know eqivilent)
€1.30 here, seemingly a lot cheaper than England at the moment for some reason I'd hate to be filling a race car at the moment with oil prices though
Quote from dougie-lampkin :€1.30 here, seemingly a lot cheaper than England at the moment for some reason I'd hate to be filling a race car at the moment with oil prices though

Over here it's 1.4 euros..
thats cheaper than in my area. $5.30 for diesel, about $5 for regular unleaded. Thats about 3.5 Euros.
You'd imagine, with the US' endless supply of fuel, that it would be cheaper...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :You'd imagine, with the US' endless supply of fuel, that it would be cheaper...

How is our fuel supply endless?

You might also find this page interesting.
Quote from Dennisjr13 :How is our fuel supply endless?

You might also find this page interesting.

Not only does your own country have loads of oil, but it's also being imported. I was sort of saying it in relation to countries like Ireland, who have to import all oil, yet it's still miles cheaper
Quote from flymike91 :thats cheaper than in my area. $5.30 for diesel, about $5 for regular unleaded. Thats about 3.5 Euros.

You're talking about per gallon, the others are talking about per litre.
That would explain it...they're only paying half of what we're paying :rolleyes:
Quote from dougie-lampkin :That would explain it...they're only paying half of what we're paying :rolleyes:

The cost needs to be put into perspective, such as what is the average miles driven yearly in other countries compared to the US and what is the average salary.

We've discussed salaries before. The comparison at least for the UK and US is that in the US it is $35,000 per year and the UK it is £35,000. Thus, the UK averages twice the salary ($70,000) and pays twice the cost in fuel. Everything else in prices that I normally see talked about is approximately the same as far as consumer goods is concerned (G25 - £150 vs. $300 for example).

So, what is the average driven distance elsewhere? In the US, the only figure I remember is from a long time ago when average mileage was in the 14,000 miles per year range.

I drive around 11,000 miles per year just getting to work. My car is strictly a work commuter. My wife's vehicle had 15,000 on it in January, which we bought in January of 2007. So, I'm looking at around 26,000 miles between the 2 of us. Price for fuel when I bought my wife's vehicle was $2.26. Back in January of this year, it was around $3.75. Both vehicles get an average of 23 mpg (24 for mine and 22 for hers). Thus, I've spent somewhere around $3400 in fuel in 2007.

We don't go on vacation. We take very few unnecessary trips. All the driving in my car is work and the majority of driving in her car is going grocery shopping once every paycheck, taking her mother shopping since she doesn't drive, and taking either the kids or her grandparents to the doctor's office.

The $0.25 increase just since January would put us at an extra $1100 per year in fuel.

That is just fuel for driving. That doesn't include that the only option I have for heat where I live is oil. In the beginning of 2007, it was filling heating oil 4 times per winter at $345 each time. My last heating fill was $865. That's an increase of $2000 in heating cost for the winter.

You can imagine how much the increase of around $3000 or more per year can hurt at a time when employers have been giving out raises that do not exceed the cost of health care increases, thus essentially receiving less in the paycheck year after year for the last 5 years or so.
I would suyggest not putting in a full roll cage, the ones that are made to be more like a roll bar inside the car looks just as good and should do the job.

Gas isn't too bad around here. Luckly New Jersey has the lowest prices in the country. Only 2.4 euros a gallon, or 0.6 euros a liter (is that seriously right?).
€0.60 a litre? That's 1/3 of what UK is paying...It would probably be cheaper for us to import all of our fuel from US, if we bought it in enough bulk it would easily defeat shipping costs
Quote from Mikkel Petersen :You forgot to take taxes into account.

The Dutch income taxes are divided into brackets, but they average about 45% for a normal income. VAT is 19%, soon to be 20%...

I want to move to Canada
19%? 21% here

The Irish economy is just so expensive. Although lately with the € gaining in value, it's not so bad
Quote from dougie-lampkin :19%? 21% here

The Irish economy is just so expensive. Although lately with the € gaining in value, it's not so bad

It's just inflation. We dont lose or gain anything really. The cost of living is high around here, but we are also getting payed that much higher too. It all evens out really.
Yea, but when you're 16 you're below minimum wage, meaning that wages aren't increasing, while the cost of everything else is

Street legal race cars, need help.
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG