The online racing simulator
I'm so sorry, but... I really want GRID!
(92 posts, started )
#1 - eobet
Race Driver... GRID... oh, god I want it... and it's by bloody Codemasters (which I guess it taboo on this forum, because I couldn't find a link about the game anywhere here yet).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaM4OOSZ2-E

I just played the demo, and I didn't even use a wheel, only the PS3 gamepad, but holy shit it rocked! And here's the kicker: I was able to pull unrealistically tight corners, yet not pull out of slides like I can in LFS, and still I loved every second of it.

Even though the handling wasn't top notch, it was damn fun. Even more suprisingly, for the first time in a video game, I felt like being inside a real car*. Man, the feeling of the suspension, the bumping into other cars, jumps, the collisions. It's like being in a Die Hard movie; not completely realistic, but GOD DAMN, what a ride!

And this is from the guys who embarrassingly enough up until Colin McRae 4.0 still pivoted the car around the center of the chassis!

I guess this new game engine they developed is rather flexible, since I read that it's going to be used for Flashpoint 2 as well (note, only a sequel in name, Bohemia Interactive are the real Flashpoint guys).

The worst part of the demo was that instant replays only records 10 seconds back. I do hope that the full game allows you to record the entire race. If not, that's probably the low-point of the game.

* Nope, LFS doesn't convey this fully because of the insistence of Scawen not to add more feeling to the force feedback, like G-forces... hmm, yet GRID managed this on a gamepad... can't really explain that. Need to test more. Anyone know if the PS3 version will support the Logitech wheels?
:bananadea
How in the hell you could feel G-Forces thru your wheel?
Scawen should add the "go back in time" feature to LFS. Imagine... a grid of 30 drivers.. everyone manages to safely get through T1 and then some jerk forces everyone to goes back in time 4 seconds causing major carnage... that sounds like a fun feature to piss everyone off...
Quote from BigPeBe :How in the hell you could feel G-Forces thru your wheel?

I'm guessing like that more your pressing on the throttle the less FFB there is or something.. Or the more you brake the harder it is to turn.

Maybe that's a good thing in GRID but it's really not worth it seeing as you can enter a corner pretty much as fast as you want and make it out alive.
#6 - ajp71
Oh dear. I watched someone playing this with a Mustang on some street circuit, couldn't actually see very much because the HDR effects are so ridiculously overdone, the idea of being able to rewind a race is almost as daft.
#7 - hda
my brother downloaded the demo for ps3 so i thought i should give it a go.

it got some nice details, the damage system comes straight from dirt, maybe with a little tweaking

but

i could get away with almost anything.. i made huge errors cause i didn't knew the track and all i needed to do was brake hard and i was right on track again..

oh and it slows down a bit when there are a lot of particles in the screen, like dust after you crash.

so:

damage system and visuals = +

physics = -

usual in codemasters
you can get it free for pc, just download torrent, if you want i can help you get it
#9 - Mc21
I tried the demo on the 360 and PC. 360 it was fun but PC with the g25 it takes ages to cabilbrate and get the sensitivity perfect
Quote from aroX123 :you can get it free for pc, just download torrent, if you want i can help you get it

As I'm sure you are well aware, we don't tolerate crack users on this forum. The common conclusion you can draw from that is that promoting other cracks will also not be tolerated.
So ... don't.
Man, GRID suxx... I know a better one: NFS
Quote from aroX123 :you can get it free for pc, just download torrent, if you want i can help you get it

You really are trying to get yourself banned...
Quote from Kalev EST :...or he is a bit stupid.

Or that, checked his license on CTRA. Have notes that he was banned when we had the wrecker barricade, and he has since then had a couple reports on him from speed hacking which we have banned him for on the CTRA as well.
Quote from Kalev EST :...or he is a bit stupid.

Or maybe he mean torrent of demo?
(I did use torrents several times this year, all of them legal, so using the "torrent = crack" equation is not really smart too)

Pity he did not post the torrent, it would be very easy to tell then.
After twiddling with the wheel settings last night, I now have a half-drivable config.
It is quite fun, if you don't take it too seriously...much like TDU.

Now to find the mods to kill the bloom.
Quote from evilpimp :I'm guessing like that more your pressing on the throttle the less FFB there is or something.. Or the more you brake the harder it is to turn.

Maybe that's a good thing in GRID but it's really not worth it seeing as you can enter a corner pretty much as fast as you want and make it out alive.

Yea, I was actually asking how it could be physically possible, because it seemed like he was thinking it could be good addition for LFS. And far as I know LFS is trying to be realistic.
Lol..

Sorry guys..
This game uses Neon Engine. That explains why the bloom effect is so overdone.
Well, I´ll try it.
Quote from BigPeBe :Yea, I was actually asking how it could be physically possible, because it seemed like he was thinking it could be good addition for LFS. And far as I know LFS is trying to be realistic.

I'm all for being realistic, but in the case of force feedback, I'm actually against 100% realism. See, that wheel is all you have for knowing how the car behaves at any given moment (unless you're using one of those hydralic cockpits).

So yes, I'd like the wheel to get stiffer in a heavy corner, and then loosen up when the car looses grip. LFS used to require a wheel in order to get full analogue functionality, but today I find many options which makes it easier to control with a gamepad. Similarly, I guess you need one of those hydraulic cockpits to fully experience the force feedback today, but I'm hoping in the future that some of that can be transferred into a normal wheel setup as well.

PS. Wow, no mercy for the game in this forum, eh? Too bad that it doesn't seem like even half of you who posted it have tried it though.
I played it, and it's nice if you don't want to screw up your reputation as LFS racer on some servers, just because you can plough the rest out of the way, but I don't like the way the car sticks to the track*.

*: if you steer left when you have a corner to the left, you feel when you have to stop going left, and when you do it to late, it will recover itself to the right. (if you get what I mean)

Furthermore, the Grid race carreer mode is a little short.
I am going to try and finish it though.
Burning banana, do your job..

:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea

I dont know is the NFS the arcadish game anymore, that just sets a whole new meaning for the word arcade.
No respect.
Quote from tonyonparas :I dont know is the NFS the arcadish game anymore, that just sets a whole new meaning for the word arcade.
No respect.

I'm sorry to say that I didn't understand a word of that.

Are you a native English speaker?

If so, I suspect you are too young to remember the first NFS game, which actually was a really good sim. The rest of the NFS games bears no resemblance to either the original or GRID.
Quote :Now to find the mods to kill the bloom.

It's possible- go to documents/codemasters/grid demo and turn the post processing option to 'off' in the config. The problem you get from doing that though is that the colours then become overly saturated- so I guess, take your pick! I wasn't sure what I liked better, I guess neither. If there was an option to turn things down mid way then that would probably look the best.

Quote :I'm so sorry, but... I really want GRID!

Why apologise? If you like something you like something. No use getting all ideological about your games.

(92 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG