The online racing simulator
here a bit more info on triplehead:
"Matrox says a DVI version of the TripleHead2Go is possible, but such a product would have very high bandwidth demands and therefore require a card with a dual-link DVI output. Matrox also points out that the software doesn't support daisy-chaining multiple TripleHead2Go units, so users looking for six-monitor setups will have to bide their time."
Quote from Scawen :If you select any 16:3 ratio screen mode (same as 3 normal 4:3 monitors) then LFS goes into a special "parhelia" mode, and the text / laptimes / etc - all 2d display things, are confined to the central screen, plus a couple of other layout improvements.

Correction... I meant 12:3 of course, not 16:3.

3 x 4:3 = 12:3 (aka 4:1)

I got 3 21 inch monitors in good second hand condition from a shop with piles of monitors (i guess from offices upgrading to LCD) years ago when Matrox sent me a Parhelia to support.

I normally race in 2400 x 600 to keep the frame rate up, any higher isn't good enough for racing. 600 doesn't seem that low because it's more zoomed in. Horizontal FOV is 120, giving an approximately life-size view.

I don't think you will need 1024 in the vertical resolution. I'm interested to know how / if the new Matrox gadget works with a last year or so card like a Radeon 9800 Pro - specially as i've got one of those lying round here - i know it has better frame rate but i can't yet give up my triple head!
Attached images
parhelia_setup.jpg
drive_view.jpg
According to Kid's post here : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=81213#post81213

3072x768@75Hz looks like the one to use.

The other modes seem to say they are at 60 Hz! But 60 Hz is like a terrible flicker you don't want for anything! [EDIT : Shotglass corrected me below - 60 Hz is the correct refresh rate for LCD screens] Hopefully 75 Hz will be ok [EDIT : For CRT monitors] and from my experience, 768 is enough for LFS in the vertical resolution.
Quote from Scawen :But 60 Hz is like a terrible flicker you don't want for anything!

all lcds run at 60 hz ... so its the res to go for with a lcd (its also apparent that this res was intended for use with lcd since for some weird reason all 1280 lcds are 5:4 and therefore have a vertical res of 1024)
Quote from Shotglass :all lcds run at 60 hz ... so its the res to go for with a lcd (its also apparent that this res was intended for use with lcd since for some weird reason all 1280 lcds are 5:4 and therefore have a vertical res of 1024)

Thanks for the explanation. I'd better make LFS recognise that 15:4 ratio as a 3 screen mode, just like the 12:3 ratio.
hmmm i wonder if 2 of those would work for a 6 monitor setup
LOL! The funny part about that is that it's addressed in one of the links posted above which specifically states that no, you can't hook them up together.

EDIT: Scratch that. It's mentioned in THIS very thread. See post #29 by Kid.

Besides, with an even number of screens, you once again run into the problem of having the center of the image split.
People, and about XGA projectors? Isn't cheaper and better, once you have no vertical divisions?

A lamp with 3000 hours of lifetime can give you more than 4 years of 2 hours/night every single day of fully satisfaction, IMO.

What would be better in your opinions? It fits with a recent thread mine here where I ask for big screens solutions...

Silvio
Quote from Forbin :LOL! The funny part about that is that it's addressed in one of the links posted above which specifically states that no, you can't hook them up together.

EDIT: Scratch that. It's mentioned in THIS very thread. See post #29 by Kid.

Besides, with an even number of screens, you once again run into the problem of having the center of the image split.

the way i understood it was that you cant cascade them ... but all modern graphiccards have 2 outputs and can run 2 monitors so if the driver allows it you should be able to run 6 monitors
Right - you need 3 19 inch tft monitors for the 3 screen view. THen 2 little 9 inch screens for wing mirrors. THen a 12 inch widescreen sittinon on top of your monitors for rear view mirror. Would be amazing lol. Although i have no idea how possible it would be. lol.
Quote from Scawen :According to Kid's post here : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=81213#post81213

3072x768@75Hz looks like the one to use.

The other modes seem to say they are at 60 Hz! But 60 Hz is like a terrible flicker you don't want for anything! [EDIT : Shotglass corrected me below - 60 Hz is the correct refresh rate for LCD screens] Hopefully 75 Hz will be ok [EDIT : For CRT monitors] and from my experience, 768 is enough for LFS in the vertical resolution.

I must have terrible eyes because I cant seem to have a problem with 60hz. On games that I want to cap the framerate at 60 fps, I cap the refresh rate at 60hz. It must be me illepall
Dunno, I can't use 60 Hz at all. Hurts my eyes immediately. Three screens would be kinda cool though.. 60 Hz or not
With a CRT monitor I'm pretty sure your not supposed to run them under 72hz At school they run them at 60hz and I can see it flickering. I can't work on a school computer for more than 15mins at a time without having to look away briefly :s Just hurts my eyes.

Keiran
To the person who wanted to use two of these to get 6 screens. I think that it will given that each can be connected to its one video output from the computer. So in essance each of the computers video outputs could be turned in to 3. Humm... Nvidia make a quad output workstation card, 3*4=12
Quote from Shotglass :the way i understood it was that you cant cascade them ... but all modern graphiccards have 2 outputs and can run 2 monitors so if the driver allows it you should be able to run 6 monitors

Hmm, yes, you may be right. For some reason I thought I saw two cables running into the box from the computer and another 3 to each monitor.

Quote from TheRealEddie :I must have terrible eyes because I cant seem to have a problem with 60hz. On games that I want to cap the framerate at 60 fps, I cap the refresh rate at 60hz. It must be me

If you have an LCD, you're obviously not going to see any flicker at 60Hz due to the way an LCD works. However, even on a CRT, there are some people (probably a lot actually) who can't see flicker. Maybe you're one of those people.
hmmm which cheap fast response 1280*1024 lcd has the smallest bezel round the screen ?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
anything more than 60hz i cant use. The screen goes blurry and hurts my eyes straight away.
Quote from Scawen :I normally race in 2400 x 600 to keep the frame rate up, any higher isn't good enough for racing.

thats where any modern card (hell even a quite old one) blasts away a parhelia. as i said, in lfs, even a gf4 will do.
btw scawen u have the ideal setup for a seamless fresnel lens set, kind of like these
http://www.rickleephoto.com/rlcoll.htm
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0404/bugeye/bugeye_review.html
http://www.bugeyetech.com/home.php
http://www.bugeyetech.com/avsim_clips.php
http://www.3dlens.com/
Quote from Shotglass :all lcds run at 60 hz ... so its the res to go for with a lcd (its also apparent that this res was intended for use with lcd since for some weird reason all 1280 lcds are 5:4 and therefore have a vertical res of 1024)

if u ever made gfx for tvs and consoles or early home computers like c64 or amiga, you would know why.
but then u also have to understand common (too common in fact) misconceptions about screen sizes and pixel ratios. in fact when u hear someone explain the whole plethora of resolutions with the term "screen aspect ratio" with no further explanations u just know one thing:
he doesnt understand jackshit.
i'll wont go into why pixel ratios are more important than screen dimension relationships here, since its not the target crowd either. i could say dig the web, but its so filled with crap, misconceptions or incomplete info that its gonna be a tuff ride for anyone that didnt live the events (creation of vga etc).
basically , to put it simple, the answer to your question/doubt would be "different technological background". one comes from a square pixel (1.0) background the other from a 0.8 pixel background (tv).
how bout that for an answer ?

ps: if u have problem understanding, and have a crt monitor look at it. its prolly of a 4 by 3 screen dimension (1,33(3) relation). u can output 1024x768 (1,33(3) relation) to it and the pixel size on screen with be square 1.0.
then select 1280x1024 (1,25 relation) on ya card and output to exact same screen (as u can see the monitor itself didnt grow or contract, its exact same size and thats good, coz it means your monitor isnt a living thing that will eat you) then that res assumes a 0.8 pixel ratio for that exact screen.
if u load amiga graphics, for example, then you'll see them properly...or tv signal direct feed onto screen. etc etc.
Quote from Scawen :I got 3x 21 inch monitors in good second hand condition from a shop with piles of monitors (i guess from offices upgrading to LCD) years ago when Matrox sent me a Parhelia to support.

I normally race in 2400 x 600 to keep the frame rate up, any higher isn't good enough for racing. 600 doesn't seem that low because it's more zoomed in. Horizontal FOV is 120, giving an approximately life-size view.

I don't think you will need 1024 in the vertical resolution. I'm interested to know how / if the new Matrox gadget works with a last year or so card like a Radeon 9800 Pro - specially as i've got one of those lying round here - i know it has better frame rate but i can't yet give up my triple head!

Now we know for certain, that LFS has been specifically programed for surround gaming and a wheel So we have to conclude that you need both to fully appreciate LFS we can also assume that we will get priority support for the matrox device (vested interest :razz

BTW interesting "temporary" permantent desk design especially like the G-Clamps
Quote from KiDCoDEa :as u can see the monitor itself didnt grow or contract, its exact same size and thats good, coz it means your monitor isnt a living thing that will eat you)

What a disturbing thought
Quote from Speed Soro :People, and about XGA projectors? Isn't cheaper and better, once you have no vertical divisions?

A lamp with 3000 hours of lifetime can give you more than 4 years of 2 hours/night every single day of fully satisfaction, IMO.

What would be better in your opinions? It fits with a recent thread mine here where I ask for big screens solutions...

Silvio

Yes, a projector is a great solution, if you have a plain white wall, and you can rearrange your room and put the racing seat in the middle. I tried this once with a friend's projector, and it was great. Only thing is, i can't lose that space, i need that wall for other things, and so the three monitor solution is good because i can have them on the window side, and my racing seat there facing the window. So... projector is great if you have some space available, but 3 monitors is good for space restricted people like those who live in and around London.

It's good for racing simulators because most of the action is around the horizon, so the 4:1 apect ratio is useful. Probably not so good for flight simulators, etc. Personally i don't mind the central bar, you get used to it quickly, but almost looking forward to one day when one of my monitors breaks down and i'm forced to get 3 black LCD screens with a narrower edge.

You can see my setup on the previous page : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=81276#post81276
Quote from B2B@300 :BTW interesting "temporary" permantent desk design especially like the G-Clamps

Thanks. I keep meaning to just screw it on to the desk because it's annoying when i need a clamp for something else and my keyboard plywood base goes without its wooden supports for a day.
Scawen, may you put photos from your office??

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG