The online racing simulator
Hard drive mounting
(9 posts, started )
Hard drive mounting
I'm trying to come up with a trick mount for my computer's hard drive. What I would like to do is mount it to a custom aluminum plate in front of a 120mm cooling fan.

My question is this: Does the HD need to lie flat in order to function properly, or can I set it at an incline of 10-15 degrees?

If I can present the metal top face of the drive to the wind, it will cool more effectively than if it were just placed straight on in front of the fan.

This is really and unneccessary mod since the hard drive runs ice cold anyway, but I just can't leave things alone. This will also allow me to get rid of the ugly sheetmetal chassis that the drive is currently mounted in.
#2 - Jakg
HDD's run best between 30 - 50 degrees (Google monitored their failure rate of drives and found out that excessively hot AND cold drives died more often), so don't bother trying to cool it - just as long as it's got some air going over it'll be fine.

The HDD should work fine on it's side.
I thought this was about virtually mounting a hard drive in Linux when I saw the title .
I thought it was about unplugging a hard drive, fingering it a bit, and giving it a bit of loving from the thread title.

Thank god there's content to threads 'eh?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I thought it was about unplugging a hard drive, fingering it a bit, and giving it a bit of loving from the thread title.

Are you constantly horny or something?

All i see in your post's is some kind of reference to sex or something along that lines...
It's because, being a male teenager, he's perpetually horny, but being such a loner geek (), his only outlet is to talk about it since he can't actually get on and do it. Damn those restraining orders, eh?
#7 - Ian.H
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I thought it was about unplugging a hard drive, fingering it a bit, and giving it a bit of loving from the thread title.

Fingering software tends to lead to better results, or so I've been told

On-topic: I have HDDs mounted both flat and vertically, all work just fine

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Bob Smith :It's because, being a male teenager, he's perpetually horny, but being such a loner geek (), his only outlet is to talk about it since he can't actually get on and do it. Damn those restraining orders, eh?

Somebody's just worried that I'll defy some "geek" rule about not touching females.

Too late.

And Nathan, got a problem with my constant sex talk, I could go into more detail if you so please.
Ok, thanks for the replies. I LOLed in my cube at lunch today, and have an answer to my question.

Hard drive mounting
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG