Uh-oh
(8 posts, started )
Uh-oh
Scenario: you have a PC with an AMD Duron 800 Spitfire, wich was kind of "bruised" (don't know how to say it better): the entire computer slipped from your hand while you were moving it and fell to the ground while power was on, so everything went black but the CPU cooler was still working. You test all connections but it doesn't respond (PSU seems ok).

So, searching for what part has died, you ask your friend to test the CPU on his PC (wich is similar to yours). He tests and nothing. Swaps back to his own and... NOTHING! His computer just died after this.

Any ideas? Can a malfunctioning CPU kill other components?

No, it was not me =p
I doubt it could kill other components. Maybe you should reset the BIOS to see if you could bring your friend's computer back again (or change the BIOS).

The only thing I could think that would break from a drop immediately would be the hard drive, but that's with the power off. I can't really imagine what else would break with the power on because CPUs and RAM are seated pretty well.
#3 - halo
I suggest to remove everything attached to Main Board than check visually if there is damage signs like crack etc. on board and also items attached to it.
Pay attention to the heavy components located on the board like cpu. (use a strong light source).
If there are no damage signs on the components, re-assemble everything you remove except extra peripherals. I mean, do not attach things that not necessary for running the pc.
Start the pc, and take note if there are beep code etc.
Post here your results if its not working (its better carefully note every symptoms to help diagnostics)
Good luck.

Note: Its also better to have spare PSU around, sometimes they may look functional but actually they dont.
Ok guys, thanks. I'll give it a go later today.
You transport computers while they are on? Lunacy... Something is bound to happen if you do that.
Quote from de Souza : Any ideas? Can a malfunctioning CPU kill other components?

No, it was not me =p

So no, it wasn't him.
The hard drive is probably dead. Hard drives can't handle a shock like falling to the ground. Try to put a spare hard drive in and see if that is the cause.
Quote from Scatter :I doubt it could kill other components. Maybe you should reset the BIOS to see if you could bring your friend's computer back again

Done, no success.

Quote from halo :...

He said everything looks fine, but this needs a closer look. He'll check when he has the time.

Quote from MINIz guy :The hard drive is probably dead. Hard drives can't handle a shock like falling to the ground. Try to put a spare hard drive in and see if that is the cause.

Thanks, but that's not the point. I'm worried about my friend's computer, and the reasons for it to suddenly die after swapping the CPUs.

Uh-oh
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG