The online racing simulator
Um???? what should i do
(7 posts, started )
Um???? what should i do
This morning at about 1 or 2 am i started my virus scan. Everything was running ok so i went back to bed. I woke up again a about 6 am to find that i had 100ish things that required attention and the scan was still going. I just got back from school at 3:15 or so and now i have 2000ish items that require attention in the same folder as the other things. I tryed to use the fix feature on Norton but it says that the remove was a falure. Everything that requires attention is called a Backdoor. Trojan which i know is bad. All of the files are like song names or tv show titles or other random things that i have never downloaded intentionaly. when i tryed to go to the folder my self (the folder is C:\WINDOWS\fonts\_\?????.rar) there is nothing there other than the fonts for xp, however when i took the name of the file and typed it into the search thingy for windows xp i found the file and deleted it. When i deleted it, it dissappeared from the attention required place. Please help me, I dont want to type 2000+ titles into the search box. Sorry for any gramatical or spelling errors i made(im a tad tired). Thanks (and yes i tryed google)
#2 - Jakg
C:\Windows\Fonts should ONLY have fonts (ie .ttf etc) in it. NO Sub folders or zips etc.

Install a decent antivirus (ie AVG, NOD32 etc), boot up in safe mode and do a Scan and see what happens.
Do you have hidden files and folders set to be shown? If not, set it to be shown and viola, i think it should work.
i dont know for sure yet, but i think i fixed it. I used the windows search thing to find c:\windows\fonts\_\ and 34500 things poped up so im manualy deleting them right now. also the show hidden folders thing didnt work either but good suggestion.
Quote from speed1 :i dont know for sure yet, but i think i fixed it. I used the windows search thing to find c:\windows\fonts\_\ and 34500 things poped up so im manualy deleting them right now. also the show hidden folders thing didnt work either but good suggestion.

Also if you can't find them..you could always wipe your PC out, but thats a last resort I guess..
What exactly have you been doing on that computer? Do you let anyone else use it? Do you visit any "questionable" sites? You really don't get infections like that unless you provoke it, so try and be a tiny bet aware of the sites you are visiting online.

I recommend you install a decent firewall if you don't already have one. ZoneAlarm is free and is recognized as one of the best. And install and use Firefox, as it is a safer browser in general - though I'm certain you've already done THAT!
#7 - mr_x
First things first, remove Norton.

There are chocolate fireguards that are more useful than Norton is. It is quite easily the worlds worst anti-virus/internet security. The amount of computers we get at work that are fixed by removing Norton is unbelievable!!

Other than that, what people have said above ^

AVG Free edition is pretty good for a free AV. But normally you get what you pay for. Personally Kaspersky Internet Security is one of the best I've seen. I only use the Anti-Virus edition as I already have a firewall. 1 downside to the Internet Security is the firewall wants permission for everything, but it's no biggy really.

So to summerise, to stop getting viruses:
A decent Anti-virus and firewall (avoid Norton, Macafee etc.)
Use Firefox or Opera (avoid Internet Explorer)
Careful browsing (avoid the pr0n websites)

Um???? what should i do
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG