The online racing simulator
Possible Land Speed Record Destroyer
(49 posts, started )
If they do break it then the Brits will just come up with something faster that looks cooler, that thing looks like a red rocket with training wheels and the front of a fighter jet glued onto it.
Haha, I love the way it's just a Starfighter with the wings chopped off
I might apply, but I don't think a 20 year old F3 car is relevant experience if fighter pilots are applying
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :...that thing looks like a red rocket with training wheels and the front of a fighter jet glued onto it.

That would be because it is exactly that.....the fuselage of a F-104 Starfighter with wheels.
Quote from banshee56 :That would be because it is exactly that.....the fuselage of a F-104 Starfighter with wheels.

Good old America, I love the straight forward approach America seems to have to everything. So how do we make this jet car? Well why not cut the front off a jet, and glue a rocket and some wheels onto it, job done.
Good luck to them. You have to love it when plucky nutcases throw their life savings into pointless and life-threatening endeavours like speed records.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Good luck to them. You have to love it when plucky nutcases throw their life savings into pointless and life-threatening endeavours like speed records.

Someone needs to watch The World's Fastest Indian.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Good old America, I love the straight forward approach America seems to have to everything. So how do we make this jet car? Well why not cut the front off a jet, and glue a rocket and some wheels onto it, job done.

Well, it works doesn't it? Why reinvent the wheel?
Because the wheels will explode before the 'car' reaches vMax perhaps? I think that makes them worthy of reinvention
Quote from tristancliffe :Because the wheels will explode before the 'car' reaches vMax perhaps? I think that makes them worthy of reinvention

Lol - well, we re-DESIGNED them (this car uses solid aluminum wheels) but I wouldn't call that re-INVENTED.
"Wanted, 20-40 suicidal idiot with a total deathwish and no family, to test our new land speed record car. Must have not much to live for"
Land speed records suck... Those cars aren't usefull whatsoever, so what's the point in trying to make them?
I like science... But it should have a reason too.
This does have a reason, they just haven't discovered it yet. That's what they're hoping to figure out by doing it.
Quote from sgt.flippy :Land speed records suck... Those cars aren't usefull whatsoever, so what's the point in trying to make them?
I like science... But it should have a reason too.

'Because they can' is all the reason you need. If everyone thought like you we'd still all be living in caves, naked and eating raw meat.
Quote from Crashgate3 :'Because they can' is all the reason you need. If everyone thought like you we'd still all be living in caves, naked and eating raw meat.

I said I like science when it has a purpose. But making a car go 1000 miles an hour in a dessert is hardly useful.
Quote from Crashgate3 :'Because they can' is all the reason you need. If everyone thought like you we'd still all be living in caves, naked and eating raw meat.

Nope.
On trees, probably dead.
Since Italy used F-104s since a couple of years ago, I hope they'll do it.
Quote from sgt.flippy :I said I like science when it has a purpose. But making a car go 1000 miles an hour in a dessert is hardly useful.

I think a jet-powered car speed record is useless. Cars don't have jets. That's the definition. What's the land speed record of a non-jet car? That might be more relevant.
I say give Tom Cruise the job, after all he is a Top Gun and a Nascar champion, combine that with his magic Scientology powers and he is your perfect driver.

There are several land speed records, even a diesel one!
Quote from sgt.flippy :I said I like science when it has a purpose. But making a car go 1000 miles an hour in a dessert is hardly useful.

Neither is making a BUNCH of cars go 200 mph on a track...

...but then you get things like electronic fuel injection and traction control and you realize the value of it.
Last night Andy Green (driver) and Glynne Bowsher (engineer) were in Loughborough, to give a public presentation about the Thrust SSC project. I think it's the first presentation they've done about it in a long time, and it was incredible the story they told.

I didn't like Kev's comment on the whole land speed record thing though. These guys were completely broke several times, and yet the determination to do something which many people said was not possible was pretty amazing. We need more people like that in the world, especially Glynne and the other engineers.

Andy came across as being a little arrogant, typical fighter jet pilot who loves himself, but it was impressive the trust he put into the engineers to drive that thing.

To the OP car, that probably won't beat the landspeed record, but the Australian one has a pretty good chance.

Edit: Never mind Kev, I noticed you said "good luck to them", but it ain't pointless in my eyes.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Has the IC record really not been beaten since 1947?

Indeed it has, scroll down to 1965 for a 409.277mph result - whoops!

(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG