The online racing simulator
Racing
(35 posts, started )
Quote from NathanRx-7 :I have patience, I just find CTRA frustrating.

I'm sure CTRA 2 etc are ALOT better but i guess you have to go through a rough/frustrating stage before you can get to the good, fun bit.

To be honest to you Nathan looking at your LFS online statistics you've done 27 races, roughly half of which you scored a podium place in, which shows me you've done maybe 15 races tops in proper populated servers (CD1/CTRA1). I've done relatively little for a long timer but I've still clocked up nearly 2000 races. Frankly you're not even at the stage of driving safely round at the back of the pack keeping out of harms way yet, having watched you you're still all over the place and barely in control of the car you seem to spend most of your time keeping the XRR on the black stuff not aware of other cars around you let alone having time to work on lines and strategy.

We've all been their and done it at some point when we began to learn to sim race and those who are luck enough will do it all over again when they learn to race for real. It won't just come overnight but in order to get better you really need to start off in a slower car that you can actually drive round a shorter track that's easier to learn. If your best time is nearly 10 seconds off pace then TBH you're just going to be a moving road block and you're not going to have fun constantly crashing a car you can't manage (yet) and getting lapped left right and centre. Maybe you've completely missed the fact that you're as bad as the people you're having problems with on the CTRA server, don't get dis hearted, don't give up you'll notice big improvements if you choose something you can manage and race and drive cleanly.
Quote from NathanRx-7 :I have patience, I just find CTRA frustrating.

You dont see the irony in your own comment?

Now dont get mad, everyone has to learn how to drive.
I didnt start this topic so people could say 'you're the problem' or 'stick to drifting'
As I said before.. I know I'm not good jesus christ I started properly racing TODAY...
Quote from NathanRx-7 :I didnt start this topic so people could say 'you're the problem' or 'stick to drifting'
As I said before.. I know I'm not good jesus christ I started properly racing TODAY...

Nobody in this topic so far is 'having a go' at you, they're tryng to get you to see that you can't just jump in and expect close racing if you yourself are struggling to do a lap staying roughly on the racing line. Most "serious" race servers that you're asking for probably won't tolerate that, and you'd be racing on your own at the back. Choose a beginner server, and gradually feel your way around and pick up some speed. Spectate and ride with other cars to watch their braking and lines. Don't jump in the XRR or any GTR, they're too grippy and powerful. Use the XFG/XRG until you can race in the mid-field on CTRA1 or any "beginner" server that doesn't expect more experience or speed.
I would suggest you do like I did when I started racing.

Get into the usual server such as CD or CTRA and look at were the pace of the slower car is. Either join at the back or pull over the side quickly at the start and wait for everyone to pass then go. This will keep you out of the T1 carnage and you will also learn to control the car a bit more. Once you become more confident of how the car controls and the line on the track, just focus on not bumping someone whos on the inside of you in a turn. If someone passes you, be patient and you might get him back. If you're not patient, you'll just ruin the race for both of you guys.

I was in the exact same situation as you. Drifter starting to race but I still stick to the XRG in CTRA seeing as I find that it's more of a challenge. I do slide it once or twice by accident but usually I manage to keep it straight. In LFSBC Round 1 for example, I used the XRG and still managed to get a pretty good pace and take the win.

Also, if you want to start league racing, I suggest you try leagues such as LFS Beginers Cup. It's a great way to learn what you're really aloud to do and what not to do. It also teaches you a lot about league racing and how to react when theres an accident in front. You also learn how not to get a heart attack (the pressure).

Hope this helped, that's how it really was for me and I suggest you try what I've done. The main thing is to be patient even on the track and not rush things.

Btw, I'm still stuck in CTRA Bronze but I can still race the GTR's fine. That's also kind of thanks to LFSBC. :P I think I made it to CD2 not sure but my PB in AS3 with the FZR is 1:43.140 and it was done on the CD1 server.
Quote from STROBE :Nobody in this topic so far is 'having a go' at you, they're tryng to get you to see that you can't just jump in and expect close racing if you yourself are struggling to do a lap staying roughly on the racing line. Most "serious" race servers that you're asking for probably won't tolerate that, and you'd be racing on your own at the back. Choose a beginner server, and gradually feel your way around and pick up some speed. Spectate and ride with other cars to watch their braking and lines. Don't jump in the XRR or any GTR, they're too grippy and powerful. Use the XFG/XRG until you can race in the mid-field on CTRA1 or any "beginner" server that doesn't expect more experience or speed.

Yeah I understand that, but it's like a no-win situation, because theres CTRA 1, which has alot of new S2 players, and ALOT of people that are innexperienced, then there's other servers which has XRR's etc that have people who are at the other end and are very experienced.
I'm not a complete beginner, and I'm not experienced neither so as you can probably tell it's frustrating.

EDIT: I just saw your post,
Quote from evilpimp :I would suggest you do like I did when I started racing.

Get into the usual server such as CD or CTRA and look at were the pace of the slower car is. Either join at the back or pull over the side quickly at the start and wait for everyone to pass then go. This will keep you out of the T1 carnage and you will also learn to control the car a bit more. Once you become more confident of how the car controls and the line on the track, just focus on not bumping someone whos on the inside of you in a turn. If someone passes you, be patient and you might get him back. If you're not patient, you'll just ruin the race for both of you guys.

I was in the exact same situation as you. Drifter starting to race but I still stick to the XRG in CTRA seeing as I find that it's more of a challenge. I do slide it once or twice by accident but usually I manage to keep it straight. In LFSBC Round 1 for example, I used the XRG and still managed to get a pretty good pace and take the win.

Also, if you want to start league racing, I suggest you try leagues such as LFS Beginers Cup. It's a great way to learn what you're really aloud to do and what not to do. It also teaches you a lot about league racing and how to react when theres an accident in front. You also learn how not to get a heart attack (the pressure).

Hope this helped, that's how it really was for me and I suggest you try what I've done. The main thing is to be patient even on the track and not rush things.

Yes it did help and i'll have a look, thanks.
It's impossible for me to drive XRG in CTRA, as I have alot of habits with it, with drifting.. so i tend to end up drifting round corners, not cleanly.. uh.. driving them.
Nathan you are a complete beginner, you've hardly got any experience and can barely keep the car on track. You will get better but at this stage your main aim should be finishing races in low power cars (CTRA1 or SS1) not trying to be competitive in big cars in longer races (CD1).
Quote from ajp71 :Nathan you are a complete beginner, you've hardly got any experience and can barely keep the car on track. You will get better but at this stage your main aim should be finishing races in low power cars (CTRA1 or SS1) not trying to be competitive in big cars in longer races (CD1).

Well I guess...
Nathan, you have to realise that you are, in fact, a beginner. The sooner you realise and accept it the sooner you can begin to improve. The problem here is that you're simply not listening. Go on CTRA1. Put up with the other beginners, and don't complain about them. You will get better taking in to account all the advice in this thread, but only if you actually listen to it. Making excuses won't make you faster.
Quote from MAGGOT :Nathan, you have to realise that you are, in fact, a beginner. The sooner you realise and accept it the sooner you can begin to improve. The problem here is that you're simply not listening. Go on CTRA1. Put up with the other beginners, and don't complain about them. You will get better taking in to account all the advice in this thread, but only if you actually listen to it. Making excuses won't make you faster.

Yes I guess you're right...
Well I've been taking everyones advice in SS1, you know, watching other people, hanging behind and getting used to the track etc and to be honest it does make stuff easier.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Racing
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG