The online racing simulator
Input on first car?
(49 posts, started )
Quote from ajp71 :I said I may be a better driver than most on the roads, which is a common argument given by inexperienced drivers as to why they are good drivers. My point is that a lot of drivers on the road are pretty awful, they have little spatial awareness or car control and frequently make really stupid judgments. I personally do consider myself far better than a lot of more experienced drivers but simply being less bad than other road users does not make you a good driver, 95% of people on the road cannot drive fast safely and fewer still can drive a fast car fast.

Ah ok, the most common place where this is seen is on the motorway, my dad always has at least 2 people on the motorway pull in front of him whilst in the fast lane. You do get a lot of muppits on the road. I think they should charge people in their 60's 70's more money on their insurance then young drivers. Personally I think the elderly are awful drivers. Not being ageist but it has been said numours times on the internet. When I go down near the shops before school there is always to old men who come in and the both drive really slow, one nearly caused a accident the other day.
Most people on the road seem to think that there is no other cars on the road and they can do as they please. I know I haven't started driving yet but you can see it happen even when your in the passenger seat. My dad's gf's little one has started telling bad drivers off now, shows how much of it happens if a little one picks up on it.
Quote from sam93 :...but it has been said numours times on the internet.

Best source ever.
I'll be looking to pick up my first car when I pass my test (in a few months I guess - my provisional license better arrive soon) but I'm not quite so fussed about RWD. I'm looking at the powerhouse that is a 1.4L 2003 Seat Leon (maybe a 16v 1.6 if the insurance is acceptable), simply because I really like the shape of them. Sure, I'd prefer a Porsche Cayman (there's a beautiful silver one parks down the road from my office) but that'd be a little excessive

The difference is that I'll be 28 in a couple of months so I'm well out of the worst insurance bracket. And yeah, I've been slacking on the whole learning to drive thing - I don't care
Quote from Biohazard :Best source ever.

I have heard it on a few programs on the TV where it has been said, I don't think I have watched one where is proves it, but the eldery can't drive.
Quote from R34king :Thanks for "your" input JAKG but not all of us just want to thrash the sh*t out of there cars and im not asking your input for me getting a Lambourgeni its only a Skyline.. cheap as chips runs great ill find one with minuimim rust and chassis in good order I can check if its been thrashed by taking it for a test drive and yes i have thought about insurance thats why im considering a non-turbo

thanks though Jak

Everyones input helps

here skylines are in the same insurance group as lambo's and fezza's
You might can to drive, But driving car on road is different to your so called 'race track'.

People, kids, animals walking around, you cant do 200mph drift around the bend....
Quote from R34king :Hey

Im 15 and I am Saving up for a car now I am Looking for something that is RWD im not going for FWD I dont like how it runs And I am looking for something cheap these are some options ive come up with.

Nissan Skyline R32 ( Fair power but The RB20 might be a bit steep on gas But the car has plenty of go and with the right parts is a dream)

Nissan S13 Silvia ( same with the silvia But I think the Sr20det would be better on gas and it will drag its ass sidewayz if need be)

Toyota Ae86 ( this one is a tos up because these are hard to obtain and are quite expensive But the 4agze is Reliable and should be fine on gas and it has plenty of go)

Early model BMW Ie E30 or E36 ( Bmw would be a good choice because I wouldnt want many performance parts for it and the car is a beauty stock not sure about gas prices on these though..)

Now Ive been looking closely at the specs of these cars and it looks like to me im going to be looking for something under 2.0 or just over because gas prices are steep here. Another thing im concidering is going turbo or non Turbo but I think my minds set on Non Turbo and the other thing that was bothering me was if I should go EURO or JAP because im not sure how easy it is to get parts for bmws because its Blimmen easy for a JAP car

Im not looking to spend anyway over 6k it depends im going to work for longer so I can get more money but yeh

What do you guys think??

thanks for the help

sam

I'd go with an E30 318is, good car, also...u must be pretty rich, cause it'd be a bomb paying for insurance on an R32 lol my dad has an R32. And if you do get a silvia, go for the s14 . AE86 is also a good choice too.
Lol! just tried to get a quote on a ford fiests ST 2.0 just to see what comes up, it's FWD hatchback in a locked garage etc but 50 insureers won't even give me a quote

Anyone be able to find me a quote on a Ford fiesta ST 2006?
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
#36 - JTbo
Quote from speedway :is this a thread about cars for beginners or about how much someone can overestimate his own capabilities?

Hard to say.

I could get older S350 Merc if I wanted to, it would suit for my work car just fine, problem is that when car is driven it needs servicing, servicing before fixing is always cheaper in long run and it will cost certain sum of money /km (or /mile) no matter which car you get and no matter what shape it is.
Longer the time window more it evens out condition of car.

Due price and emotions car makes in people they are serviced and used differently, for some cars parts are bit more expensive and if car's price on market is affordable people that buy one are not likely to give it all care because of funds.

It is good idea to lay timeline from current mileage of car to let's say 100 000km ahead, estimate what it needs to be done for that and bit after that. Make these timelines for all cars you are interested and you will get rough idea what it will costs to run such car.
Sounds maybe boring and stupid, but at least I hope that I had done that few times before...

Driving well then.
You are then good driver when you can tell about everyhing what will happen in 10 seconds ahead 300 meters range around you and when you can use this information to adjust your driving. It does not matter even you would win F1 champion, but on road you are bad driver until you can do that.
And there is even more to it, understanding risk areas, knowing what is right speed to situation, as we know speed limits mean absolutely nothing, those are only to help you drive the speed where you won't get fines.

If you can't give space or back off, you are bad driver.

But most important is skill of foreseeing upcoming situations and possible solutions to them + ability to choose best of solutions without too much of thinking.

When I'm driving, I always play "what if?", I see kid on sidewalk, what if kid jumps to road, now I need to know is there someone behind me, up coming cars, what is my stopping distance from that speed, possibilites to steer side and avoid kid, all these must be thought before I'm in range where I should make actions if that scenario happens and there is no time to think then, that is why I play it constantly, I know always cars behind me, front of me, people on sidewalks, behind parked cars, estimating their positions if I don't see them at the moment.

There has not been true surprises due this, even I have had car joining from sideroad at less than 50 meters front of me while I was driving 80kph etc. It was unlikely, but I had played already what if scenario for it and solution, had not much trouble avoid him, but surely scared hell out of me, how stupid can some drivers be, don't they think at all?

Oh yes, don't even dream on calling yourself good driver before you have driven your first 1 000 000km, after that you start to learn to be good driver, first 1M is just to get familiar to concept

Maybe helps, maybe you don't like answer, I for sure wouldn't liked at your age, but maybe you are smarter than me
Quote from JTbo :Driving well then.
You are then good driver when you can tell about everyhing what will happen in 10 seconds ahead 300 meters range around you and when you can use this information to adjust your driving. It does not matter even you would win F1 champion, but on road you are bad driver until you can do that.
And there is even more to it, understanding risk areas, knowing what is right speed to situation, as we know speed limits mean absolutely nothing, those are only to help you drive the speed where you won't get fines.

If you can't give space or back off, you are bad driver.

But most important is skill of foreseeing upcoming situations and possible solutions to them + ability to choose best of solutions without too much of thinking.

When I'm driving, I always play "what if?", I see kid on sidewalk, what if kid jumps to road, now I need to know is there someone behind me, up coming cars, what is my stopping distance from that speed, possibilites to steer side and avoid kid, all these must be thought before I'm in range where I should make actions if that scenario happens and there is no time to think then, that is why I play it constantly, I know always cars behind me, front of me, people on sidewalks, behind parked cars, estimating their positions if I don't see them at the moment.

There has not been true surprises due this, even I have had car joining from sideroad at less than 50 meters front of me while I was driving 80kph etc. It was unlikely, but I had played already what if scenario for it and solution, had not much trouble avoid him, but surely scared hell out of me, how stupid can some drivers be, don't they think at all?

That is absolutely, positively the core of being a good driver.

R34king, you need to pay attention to what JTbo is saying. I don't care if you are Michael Schumacher, there is absolutely no way for you to be able to predict what other cars will do on the road without experience. Over the past few years, I have learned a lot of things on the road, but by far the most valuable skill is the almost "psychic" ability to tell what other drivers are going to do before they do it. This is something that is IMPOSSIBLE to know without first hand experience - and lots of it.

You learn to tell things like whether a car is going to change lanes just by how they are tracking, or which cars that are merging onto the highway are going to cut over to the fast lane just by how they're following the cars ahead of them. Sometimes you can't even explain it. More and more frequently, you'll find yourself avoiding cars doing crazy things before they do them. I good driver knows what others are going to do before THEY do.

Every so often I'll be a passenger in another car, and we'll be catching up to someone in another lane and I'll be looking at them and just say, "I think that car's going to move over," and then he does and cuts us off. You won't even be able to explain it.
you should get a bimmer,for first car a 318,or a 325,good on gas and still have some power.
actually i might have an r32 for sale,but the guy didnt call me back yet.
Oh i just see you are in au.nvm then
I am going for a E30 BMW 316, 318i or a very cheap E36

AE86 is out of question
R32 insurance is pratically nothing here.. did i mention its a gtst or GTS or M spec NOT GTR its very cheap for a non GTR

So r32 is still in picture

and why a S14 over a S13 S14 is more expensive

And yes maybe i will get a EG6 Civic or a mini or something round that level.. because it is cheaper to run
When I compared prices it was for a GTS. I still couldn't get a quote.

But this is the UK, so insurance probably alot here.
Quote from DTrott :When I compared prices it was for a GTS. I still couldn't get a quote.

Do you have a minimum insurance level ("thirds" is called in Spain)?

Also here in Spain if you present three (I think there was only three) official denies of quotes from insurance agencies then the State will cover your insurance as it's mandatory to cover the minimum . Anyway... private agencies instead of denying the insurance they give you prohibited prizes

But for sure insurances are expensive in the U.K for what I'm seeing... I'm paying 340€ (per year) for a 1.5 V-Tec 1999 Civic Sedan (115cv)
#43 - JTbo
Quote from DTrott :When I compared prices it was for a GTS. I still couldn't get a quote.

Indeed, insurance in UK is nitemare compared to ours for example, I pay from two cars ~600€/year, I can install wheels and such without any affect to insurance etc.

I recommend BMW for OP as servicing is not going to be too expensive and cars are not that bad really, also some stuff can be done by self which can save lot of money.
As long as they don't care about fuel consumption
Quote from JTbo :Indeed, insurance in UK is nitemare compared to ours for example, I pay from two cars ~600€/year, I can install wheels and such without any affect to insurance etc.

I recommend BMW for OP as servicing is not going to be too expensive and cars are not that bad really, also some stuff can be done by self which can save lot of money.

For an early '90s Mini it would cost me around £2000 (~€2500) to insure for a year. Even though the car costs around £500 to buy.
here in belgium its more expensive to own a S14 then a R32.. has to do with the kilowatts lol
Quote from wheel4hummer :I wouldn't mind riding in the trunk.

Sure? Watching the Video I think you would go through the trunk and immediately into the wall... well not immediately. But just after all those sharp Metal pieces cut you into 1.000 pieces... would be a big mess I suppose...
#48 - JTbo
Quote from buedi :Sure? Watching the Video I think you would go through the trunk and immediately into the wall... well not immediately. But just after all those sharp Metal pieces cut you into 1.000 pieces... would be a big mess I suppose...

Well, Commodore is Opel and Opel is same whatever shape it came...

Don't buy Opel
go get ur self skyline r32 RWD get the one with the 200sx engine in it dont do much too it let ur self get used to the power in the rear of one of them then get what u want u live on the smart side of the world where people can buy skylines at 17 and only pay 2000 for third party

Input on first car?
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG