The online racing simulator
Input on first car?
(49 posts, started )
Input on first car?
Hey

Im 15 and I am Saving up for a car now I am Looking for something that is RWD im not going for FWD I dont like how it runs And I am looking for something cheap these are some options ive come up with.

Nissan Skyline R32 ( Fair power but The RB20 might be a bit steep on gas But the car has plenty of go and with the right parts is a dream)

Nissan S13 Silvia ( same with the silvia But I think the Sr20det would be better on gas and it will drag its ass sidewayz if need be)

Toyota Ae86 ( this one is a tos up because these are hard to obtain and are quite expensive But the 4agze is Reliable and should be fine on gas and it has plenty of go)

Early model BMW Ie E30 or E36 ( Bmw would be a good choice because I wouldnt want many performance parts for it and the car is a beauty stock not sure about gas prices on these though..)

Now Ive been looking closely at the specs of these cars and it looks like to me im going to be looking for something under 2.0 or just over because gas prices are steep here. Another thing im concidering is going turbo or non Turbo but I think my minds set on Non Turbo and the other thing that was bothering me was if I should go EURO or JAP because im not sure how easy it is to get parts for bmws because its Blimmen easy for a JAP car

Im not looking to spend anyway over 6k it depends im going to work for longer so I can get more money but yeh

What do you guys think??

thanks for the help

sam
Nissan Skyline?! You're 15. Learn to drive before you get a car with a lot of power.
haha calm down buddy I know How to drive
#4 - Jakg
I think you watched one too many "Initial D" episodes.

I have no idea about the situation insurance wise in Nz, but i'm willing to bet you've forgotten about it. Or the problems with buying a car for "6k" (which i'm geussing is about £3k) which is a Skyline as it's probably got every single part on the verge of breaking because the previous owner was a 16 year old who thought he was the next d0r1fT0 k!ng!11 and thrashed it without TLC.

Christ alive people get shitty first cars for a reason...

EDIT - I forgot, iirc Insurance isn't compulsory in New Zealand...?
Quote from Jakg :I think you watched one too many "Initial D" episodes.

I have no idea about the situation insurance wise in Nz, but i'm willing to bet you've forgotten about it. Or the problems with buying a car for "6k" (which i'm geussing is about £3k) which is a Skyline as it's probably got every single part on the verge of breaking because the previous owner was a 16 year old who thought he was the next d0r1fT0 k!ng!11 and thrashed it without TLC.

Christ alive people get shitty first cars for a reason...

EDIT - I forgot, iirc Insurance isn't compulsory in New Zealand...?

Thanks for "your" input JAKG but not all of us just want to thrash the sh*t out of there cars and im not asking your input for me getting a Lambourgeni its only a Skyline.. cheap as chips runs great ill find one with minuimim rust and chassis in good order I can check if its been thrashed by taking it for a test drive and yes i have thought about insurance thats why im considering a non-turbo

thanks though Jak

Everyones input helps
Quote from R34king :haha calm down buddy I know How to drive

You asked for opinions, i gave you mine. I am calm by the way.

It's a fact (statistics show this all the time) that young people new to driving don't have experience. Maybe you know how to drive a car (its not hard to put a gear in and step on the gas pedal), but you don't have experience. This comes after a few years of driving.

I had my driving licence when i was 18. I had a Golf GTI mk3 for the first 2 years. And trust me, it was plenty of "go" at that time already.
You don't need a skyline as a first car. You might kill yourself or somebody else. And even if you don't wanna hear it, an FWD would be a good idea probably.
Quote from jibber :You asked for opinions, i gave you mine. I am calm by the way.

It's a fact (statistics show this all the time) that young people new to driving don't have experience. Maybe you know how to drive a car (its not hard to put a gear in and step on the gas pedal), but you don't have experience. This comes after a few years of driving.

I had my driving licence when i was 18. I had a Golf GTI mk3 for the first 2 years. And trust me, it was plenty of "go" at that time already.
You don't need a skyline as a first car. You might kill yourself or somebody else. And even if you don't wanna hear it, an FWD would be a good idea probably.

haha ok Well.. I feel that I can handle it I drive a manual R33 around the farm all the time and thats RWD and really easy but yes I agree with you a few years of driving experience is good but still..

Im still going to Go RWD

But thanks JIBBER
As a fellow Kiwi im just going to say im looking foward to seeing you on the news as the next bloke who wraps his car around a tree. Your obviously looking for a powerful car which means your going to (street) race it. Dont say you arent because otherwise there is no point in getting a high powered RWD.

Now what i said was harsh but dont you think we have a problem when every week a boy racer is on the news after either killing himself and his mates or some innocent people?

Anyway enough of my rant. Want my opinion? Get a corolla. Costs nothing to buy and nothing to run and gets you to work and back. Faily sure there a few RWD versions around although they might be Autos.

Just for the record my mates have Skylines, RX7s and one just got a new Blitzen. Most of them are idiots who probably wont make it to 30.
Quote from sil3ntwar :As a fellow Kiwi im just going to say im looking foward to seeing you on the news as the next bloke who wraps his car around a tree. Your obviously looking for a powerful car which means your going to (street) race it. Dont say you arent because otherwise there is no point in getting a high powered RWD.

Now what i said was harsh but dont you think we have a problem when every week a boy racer is on the news after either killing himself and his mates or some innocent people?

Anyway enough of my rant. Want my opinion? Get a corolla. Costs nothing to buy and nothing to run and gets you to work and back. Faily sure there a few RWD versions around although they might be Autos.

Just for the record my mates have Skylines, RX7s and one just got a new Blitzen. Most of them are idiots who probably wont make it to 30.

I am not a boy racer. I am very safe on the roads Im not looking to thrash the car there is a point getting a RWD car.. I just like the driving style better and for me they are perfectly safe. I am very responsible beinhd the wheel im not an idiot.

By the way you call your mates idiots?? haha

Thanks for the input and cheers for the corolla idea but no thanks I think im good. :P
Quote from jibber :You asked for opinions, i gave you mine. I am calm by the way.

Quote from Top Gear's 'The Dangers of Railway Crossings' public health and safety film :Old people are five times more likely to have an accident than their grandchildren

I reckon XRT ooops sorry your only a demo user
Yeah, I'd trust the facts in a Top Gear vs Old people debate

The bottom line is that unless you want to drive fast, a 1.1l Corsa is all you NEED.

My suggestion would be to get something cheap while you gain the experience and no claims bonus, then get something faster after a couple of years.
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :I reckon XRT ooops sorry your only a demo user

Did i mention anything about a XRT prick.. Please stick to topic and also your no more better than me just because you have s2 under your name
Quote from Dajmin :Yeah, I'd trust the facts in a Top Gear vs Old people debate

The bottom line is that unless you want to drive fast, a 1.1l Corsa is all you NEED.

My suggestion would be to get something cheap while you gain the experience and no claims bonus, then get something faster after a couple of years.

Thanks for the input much appreciated
Ina perfect world i would love a AE86 or a Skyline im 17 in november (the driving age over here) but i have to be realistic and probaly end up buyin a 1.4civic or a saxo or someting as insurance over here is ridiculas. If i was u i would buy a FWD small engined car and buy a skyline for taking to tracks ans drift days and the like if u still realy want a RWD car.
Insurance would be way too much.

Maybe it's really cheap in New Zealand.

That said, I am looking at an E30 or E36 316.

Insurance for that is around £3000 a year.

According to Money Supermarket, a 16 year old first driver can't get insured on a 1993 Nissan Skyline (the only options were for the 2.5l, mind)
If you don't mind spending about 2k insurance a year go for a E36 316 or for that extra few hundred quid get a E36 318is little bit more power and more sporty, also RWD what you asked for.
I would go for the E30. That's a classical
Quote from Töki (HUN) :I would go for the E30. That's a classical

I think the E30 M3 is the only nice E30 model, the wide arches just set it all off, the nicest looking M3 in my oppinion, but an original mint E30 M3 costs around 8k, thats why I said the E36 because all of the E36 models look nice and are a lot cheaper then the E30 M3.
Quote from R34king :haha calm down buddy I know How to drive

Quote from R34king :haha ok Well.. I feel that I can handle it I drive a manual R33 around the farm all the time and thats RWD and really easy but yes I agree with you a few years of driving experience is good but still..

There's driving and operating a car. I can operate a car at a competent level, it's not difficult and I can operate a car safely on a circuit and on the road in good conditions relatively safely. I don't consider myself a good driver though, I may be far better than most on the road but very few people can actually drive it takes years of experience to judge conditions and drive fast safely.

Driving fast is not the same as driving a fast car, and if you want to drive fast on the public road you need something that isn't going to move quickly. A powerful RWD car is not the right car to learn to drive in.
Quote from ajp71 :There's driving and operating a car. I can operate a car at a competent level, it's not difficult and I can operate a car safely on a circuit and on the road in good conditions relatively safely. I don't consider myself a good driver though, I may be far better than most on the road but very few people can actually drive it takes years of experience to judge conditions and drive fast safely.

Driving fast is not the same as driving a fast car, and if you want to drive fast on the public road you need something that isn't going to move quickly. A powerful RWD car is not the right car to learn to drive in.

Your only 18 and you class yourself better then most on the road, what about people who have been driving for years. You can't be better then most on the road, maybe better then most 18 year olds. You obviously will need a lot more years of experience before you can really class yourself as being far better on the road than others.
Hi R34 King . im in your exact situation, I can suggest a car/ series of cars that you may like to check out (hopefully you can find one - they are currently only made in africa and U.S.A. suprisingly ). Not to mention its my favourate car next to the Nissan skyline. the Nissan Datsun 120y , 180y, B310 , [EDIT] just did further research and either the 2 litre is impossible to find or its the 240z. But im pretty sure they are all FR.

[EDIT2] check out the B110 , B210, B310 series here
I'm in the same situation, looking for my first car.

Buying an R32 or something with a turbo is just damn right silly as a first car. You want too drive the thing, not plow it into a tree on your first drive!

I'm going to pick myself up a Toyota Cressida...6 Cylinder slug box. Woooo.
Quote from sam93 :Your only 18 and you class yourself better then most on the road, what about people who have been driving for years. You can't be better then most on the road, maybe better then most 18 year olds. You obviously will need a lot more years of experience before you can really class yourself as being far better on the road than others.

I said I may be a better driver than most on the roads, which is a common argument given by inexperienced drivers as to why they are good drivers. My point is that a lot of drivers on the road are pretty awful, they have little spatial awareness or car control and frequently make really stupid judgments. I personally do consider myself far better than a lot of more experienced drivers but simply being less bad than other road users does not make you a good driver, 95% of people on the road cannot drive fast safely and fewer still can drive a fast car fast.

Input on first car?
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG